HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em!

I'm trying to win this pool, AND be a Raider Fan at the same time. Tightrope.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

pz, by the way, was the only one to correctly predict that Atlanta would beat Carolina, and he was the only one to correctly predict that New Orleans would beat Cleveland. Palama Kid's strategy of picking all the home teams, while usually not a bad idea, just didn't work out this time.
      Somehow, Ryan knew ahead of time that Steve Smith was not going to play for Carolina or that Jurevicius would leave in the first quarter with a busted up rib. He has got an "in" somewhere.

If it is cool with everyone else, I am going to make my picks at the last possible minute, ergo the previously mentioned injury report and more importantly, to copy off of Ryan if he has any more insider information.

Scriv, I am cool with the vig as well. Your pool.
      Last edited by nachodaddy; September 14, 2006, 12:15 PM. Reason: Ryan's crystal ball becomes even clearer!!!!!
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

No way. No vig here, I swear.

Also, I know Palama Kid wasn't just picking home teams -- he was the only one who gave meaningful, thoughtful reasons for his picks! If it sounded like I didn't give you your props, I apologize!

The spirit of the freebie was to encourage participation up to as late as Sunday morning; ultimately, what it all came down to was that pz and I both picked 11 winners, and he got the tie-breaker. The best outcome is that he should be the winner of week 1; thus, my decision. I think we can all live with it! Especially since I'm going to come out on top at the end of the season anyway.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
          Scriv, I am cool with the vig as well. Your pool.
          Vig! Short for vigorish. That's the first time I've seen anybody use that word in anything, other than Scrabble games! BTW, it's an excellent word to play when the board is really tight..especially around the time players are down to their last tiles to play.

Yo Scriv, in regards to your prognostication of your ultimate victory in the NFL Picks contest: It is no accident that I elected not to participate in the first round of this game. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I chose to give every other contestant playing this game at least a fighting chance with a head start. Like most contests I enter into within Hawaii Threads, I win; that certainly gets boring after time for everybody. So to make this contest of NFL picks fair, I deferred my entry into the game until this week. It shouldn't affect the final outcome of the game though....come week 17 of the '06 NFL season, the other players in this game will learn, with no uncertainty, that Surfingfarmboy is a de facto synonym for champion.
          Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 15, 2006, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            What happened to you Raider pickers?
            After seeing them in person go scoreless against SD I can't imagine them scoring on Baltimore.

I've been in severe depression since Monday night. The team has issues.

Comment

Barring any DUIs within the next 24 hours and/or Ryan's crystal ball predicting a 1st qtr leg snap on Monday. Here are my picks.......

Carolina Panthers at Minnesota Vikings Minnesota
              Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins Miami
              NYGiants at Philadelphia Eagles NY
              NewOrleans Saints at GreenBay Packers NO
              Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts Indy
              Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears Chicago
              Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals Cincy
              TampaBay Buccaneers at Atlanta Falcons Atlanta
              Oakland Raiders at Baltimore Ravens Baltimore
              Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks Seattle
              St.Louis Rams at SanFrancisco 49ers St. Louis ( If I can't pick the Raiders to win then I gotta pick SF to lose)
              Tennessee Titans at SanDiego Chargers SD
              NewEngland Patriots at NYJets New England
              KansasCity Chiefs at Denver Broncos Denver
              Washington Redskins at Dallas Cowboys Dallas

Pittsburgh Steelers 13 at Jacksonville Jaguars 17 (see this one as a defensive game)

Comment

Here are my picks, with a few comments:

Carolina Panthers at Minnesota Vikings
                Carolina's loss to the Falcons was a fluke; the Panthers are still the team to beat in the NFC South. The Vikings are coming on strong, but this is a transition year for them. I love Brad Johnson, but he is not the answer.

Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins
                I still think Miami should have beaten Pittsburgh last week. The Bills looked good, but I'm impressed with what the Dolphins did.

NYGiants at Philadelphia Eagles
                Game of the week and a total coin-toss. I'll go with the team with a real running back.

NewOrleans Saints at GreenBay Packers
                Two teams that will probably stink this year, but when Favre gets knocked on his butt, he usually bounces up and smacks someone in the face.

Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts
                We're not playing with "confidence points" in this game, but if we were, this would be my high-point game.

Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears
                I really, really want Kevin Jones to be the real deal, but against the Chicago D, nobody's really the real deal.

Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals
                Chad Johnson: 150 yards and 2 TDs.

TampaBay Buccaneers at Atlanta Falcons
                As much as I dislike this Atlanta team, I have to take them against Tampa.

Oakland Raiders at Baltimore Ravens
                There's no way the Raiders are as bad as they showed last week, but I don't think Baltimore's as good as they looked last week. I'm going with the Raiders in an upset.

Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks
                Two teams that have me scratching my head after week 1. When in doubt, take the team with the best running back, and this game features the second-best running back in the NFL.

St.Louis Rams at SanFrancisco 49ers
                This is going to be the game that makes Frank Gore a household name.

Tennessee Titans at SanDiego Chargers
                Ride the hot hand until it burns you.

NewEngland Patriots at NYJets
                This is another one that's tough to pick; Pennington looks to be back to his old self. Anything can happen when these two teams meet up -- you can toss last week out the window and just flip a coin. Mine landed on the Patriots.

KansasCity Chiefs at Denver Broncos
                Here's what I don't get: Everyone's saying the Chiefs are easy pickings without a quarterback, but the Chargers don't really have a quarterback and look what they did last week! LJ is no LT, but he's close enough for this game.

Washington Redskins at Dallas Cowboys
                Clinton Portis: Out in early second quarter. Mike Anderson: 2 TDs.

Monday Night Tie-Breaker: Pick Winner and Predict Score
                Pittsburgh Steelers 23 at Jacksonville Jaguars 26
                Oh, I soooooooo want to pick the Jags here, especially with Fred Taylor still healthy (not that that will last very long). Leftwich vs. Batch tells me to take the Jags; Leftwich vs. Rothlisberger tells me to take the Steelers. Count on the Jags to score at least a few points in some unconventional way (safety, blocked kick, interception return). Wait; I think I just convinced myself.

I have no faith in this week's picks, which is why it's taken me so long to post them. What a weird Week 2 this is.
                Last edited by scrivener; September 16, 2006, 08:38 PM.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just reviewed my picks... and I'm keeping them.

Comment

My picks looking good so far...

7 - 2 for the morning picks....

Freaking Hail Mary by NY Giants on a 3rd and 11 in OT sunk my Eagles

Still 7-2 is respectable...

Now if the Seahawks can win I'll be stoked no matter how I do for the rest of the day.
                    Last edited by damontucker; September 17, 2006, 10:59 AM.

Comment

nachodaddy has the early lead this week with 8 after the early games. There's a whole traffic jam of people with 7 and 6.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I want to see that punter for Arizona just try to tackle someone..... that grill of his is something else....It's geometrical correctness is perfect for inviting an elbow or shoulder pad to slip into his dental work.

Comment

Nacho...

Were only catching the KC Denver game right now in Hawaii...

Comment

Sorry Manoa....

You are watching a good game too.......

Comment

12-2 for the day.... not bad so far

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                                Barring any DUIs within the next 24 hours and/or Ryan's crystal ball predicting a 1st qtr leg snap on Monday. Here are my picks.......

Carolina Panthers at Minnesota Vikings Minnesota
                                Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins Miami
                                NYGiants at Philadelphia Eagles NY
                                NewOrleans Saints at GreenBay Packers NO
                                Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts Indy
                                Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears Chicago
                                Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals Cincy
                                TampaBay Buccaneers at Atlanta Falcons Atlanta
                                Oakland Raiders at Baltimore Ravens Baltimore
                                Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks Seattle
                                St.Louis Rams at SanFrancisco 49ers St. Louis ( If I can't pick the Raiders to win then I gotta pick SF to lose)
                                Tennessee Titans at SanDiego Chargers SD
                                NewEngland Patriots at NYJets New England
                                KansasCity Chiefs at Denver Broncos Denver
                                Washington Redskins at Dallas Cowboys Dallas

Pittsburgh Steelers 13 at Jacksonville Jaguars 17 (see this one as a defensive game)
                                See what happens when you vote AGAINST a team for something other than logic?
                                San Fran?

Comment

Working...
                                X