Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 19 year old seeking a job

Originally posted by Karen View Post
    Adrian, how about advertising within the area of the island you live, go to school and feel good about being in, that you will go to peoples' homes and set up their computers and do whatever you are good at, for them? be sure you are pricing yourself noticeably below what others on island
    That's what I do when I see customers from my current computer job. They tell me "eh, try fix my computer on your own time, not for your work."

Plus, right now I need money, and I don't have the time to redo my business.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

If you want to leverage your experience with repairing computers, try applying at this place. You now have almost 2 years of practical, hands on experience, and that's what this company is looking for. It sounds like you'd be an independent contractor, though, and you need to pass a security screening which means you'd proibably be on contract for the military.

Here's another contract CSR position in Honolulu.

Check out this CSR analyst position at Aloha Airlines. This one's a full time position with bennies!
      Position: Customer Support Technician
      Job Post Date: June 25, 2007
      Job Location: Honolulu

-------------------------------

Primary Function:

Responsible for responding to and resolving all issues reported by customers through our support help desk. These include, but are not limited to; requests for service, FAQ’s, product information, troubleshooting, product installation, problem analysis and testing. Must possess a good problem solving discipline, analytical skills and will also be responsible for providing input to software developers for software maintenance, discrepancy repair and enhancements for hardware and software upgrades. Work is performed in an office setting and some travel may be required.

Qualifications:

Ability to communicate technical information to individuals of varying technical competencies; excellent customer relation skills; excellent knowledge of Microsoft Operating System which includes Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, Project and Visio etc.; ability to analyze technical requests and to solve requests; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written; ability to provide technical guidance and instruction on the use of computer technologies; excellent skills I planning, organizing and adapting within a multi-tasking environment; ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; prior experience in a help desk and support environment preferred; experience in administration and support of MS-Windows, network, servers, and PC’s; experience managing and configuring MS-Windows Server 2000/2003, MS-Windows 2000/XP, Active Directory, and installing and configuring desktop applications, good understanding of networks (LAN and WAN) and TCP/IP.
      When you click on the link, go to the bottom part of the splash page and look for the "about aloha" menu item in the blue banner. On the next page, choose "employment listing". The position is called "Customer Support Technician" and was posted on June 25.

Good luck!

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2007, 06:38 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
        That's what I do when I see customers from my current computer job. They tell me "eh, try fix my computer on your own time, not for your work."

lazylazylazy
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          lazylazylazy
          Yeah, that's what he needs, you calling him names.

Comment

It's been said your hardest job will be finding your next job. I believe it. Job hunting is a pain. But there's no short cuts - you gotta do it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              It's been said your hardest job will be finding your next job. I believe it. Job hunting is a pain. But there's no short cuts - you gotta do it.
              Yep. I think I'll open my own business helping people finding jobs. LOL

Comment

Here's one for ya: Write a grant to get federal monies to accept older personal computers that can be repaired and donated to organizations to help those in need. The grant would cover business expenses and ultimately your salary.

It seems plenty of people here on the Big Island have found the way to get federal monies and pay for their own salaries doing what they love.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think that Adrian should apply to the Polie Academy

Who knows? It might make a man out of the boy?

Comment

Re: I think that Adrian should apply to the Polie Academy

The "Polie" Academy?

Is that part of this?
                    I love that show!

(Just teasing...you can edit posts for a while, but thread titles are a different beast.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      The "Polie" Academy?

Is that part of this?
                      I love that show!

(Just teasing...you can edit posts for a while, but thread titles are a different beast.)

Oopsie!

(y'all know I meant HPD)(I hope)

Comment

I think that Adrian should apply to the Police Academy
                        When I was in the Police Explorers, we did part of the police training, and I didn't pass some of the tests.

Comment

does anyone on the mainland want to help me find a job in their area?

Comment

Running away won't do it, Adrian. You still have to face the same mirror each morning.

Comment

Three answers:
                              1) Me first (meaning, I'm in the middle of my own job search at present.)
                              2) In the Puget Sound area, there's a GLUT of workers with training in various aspects of computer service. There are jobs, but the pay sucks - and this is an expensive place to live (yeah - like O`ahu isn't?), though there are a lot of ways to stay connected to the Islands here. But...
                              3) Don't give up on home. Staying connected is one thing, but it's not the same as being in the Islands. And if Susie's right about "running away," then she's right about it not being the answer.

Comment

Running away won't do it, Adrian. You still have to face the same mirror each morning.
                                But leaving home also gives one more of an appreciation of what you've left behind, too, and it definitely forces you to grow up and become independent.

There are lots of techie jobs in the Puget Sound area, Adrian, and I can help you find some, but like Susie and Leo said, don't come up here thinking you're going to get rid of your problems, because you won't, and you won't have your family close by to bail you out or support you emotionally, either.

I don't understand why you can't find a decent job in Honolulu. The unemployment rate is so low there (lowest in the country), there should be all kinds of jobs that are going begging for help. Where have you been looking? Did you apply for that Aloha Airlines job I found? What do you really want to do next?

Have you talked to your bro in Michigan? Maybe he could help you find a job there. If you moved to be where your brother is in school, at least you'd have a relative around to help you out.

A good online place to look for jobs is www.dice.com. They don't have any jobs in Hawai'i, but they do list technical jobs everywhere else in the country. The other one is www.careerbuilders.com. Just pick a city and type in a key word.
                                Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; July 27, 2007, 08:47 AM.
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X