This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Full-page, full-color ad in the Star Bulletin

"Could" is very different from "should", Scriv. All any of us have done is discuss different possibilities...all of which can easily be dismissed by KD. She, of course, has every right to do with the ad as she pleases. No one is telling her to do anything...just discussing possibilities. And that, for me is part of the fun of HT Poor taste? I don't see it as such. Others may or may not. You do. Such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      But what makes you think kiwidiva hasn't already considered what's best, and is therefore placing the ad up for sale? All I'm saying is that when someone offers something for sale, it is in poor taste to respond by saying, "You could donate it to someone." Do you not agree with that? By the way, I'm not trying to make it a personal thing. This isn't an attack on anyone in particular; I just think manners dictate a different approach in a selling forum.
      I think you just flamed me Scriv when you made it personal when you come back with "you" as in me. But to end this trivial discussion and to put it back OT, I'm sorry Scriv, you're absolutely right, I was wrong. I know you're a better person to stoop to levels that we digressed into.

Flames out...carry on. Sell the advertisment as Scriv argues and let's have a great 2010! But it's just a thought! **shrugs shoulders and goes back to FB to respond to my wall posts**
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Scriv...you really have me confused today. In 2 other "Selling" threads you suggested to the OPs to donate to a charity but in this thread you call it "peer pressure" and "in poor taste" to suggest the same. With all due respect, please enlighten me.

Comment

IMHO, I think the suggestion of making a donation of the ad is a worthwhile one, because the tax "deduction" benefit might be worth more to the donor in the end than what could be gotten by selling the ad at a discount. Plus, the donation could happen today or tomorrow, during 2009, and that extra "deduction" on this year's taxes might be the difference between tax brackets. That is an important consideration to some people. I see nothing offensive about bringing up those possiblities. Matter of fact, I like it when HTers offer polite suggestions.
          Last edited by Amati; December 30, 2009, 03:51 PM.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Put it up for auction then.

No buyer by a deadline, then donate it.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

WOW! I had totally forgotten that I posted this here. I had considered the idea of donating the ad to charity and writing it off on my taxes. Being of the instant gratification generation, I thought I would try to sell it first and if I didn't generate any interest, then I could always donate it later. I got an offer of $1000 cash so I am taking it. Thank you to ALL who left comments.
              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

That is nice that it worked out so well.

So now that is all settled, I have a couple of questions that I'll bring up that this thread made me think of but that do not have a direct connection to the original posting.

1) RE: "not to peer-pressure someone who has listed something in the SELLING forum into giving the item away". I, for one, do not even pay attention to which forum a topic is in, unless I am starting a thread and am trying to follow the general ... rules? guidelines? as a starting point. Anyway, I've never any attention to what the forum is when I am just responding. So, have I been missing something ... are there thread boundries that spell out what would considered off limits when posting a response ? Am I missing Page 10 of the rulebook on posting guidelines?

2) I am just wondering, but the initial post on this topic was Nov. 16. There was not a single response until Dec. 29. How did this thread come to light after 6 weeks? Do people go back and dig through old threads as sport ... or .... what? Just wondering, no offense to anyone.

I have purposely not mentioned any names of any posters here. These are generic questions not meant to stir up a ruckus.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Quite honestly I just saw it pop up yesterday with a red hibiscus so naturally being a slow evening I chimed in. What made it rescusitate itself is beyond me. I just respond to fresh threads.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You mean I scrolled all the down here to find it sold?
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X