X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCW Team
    replied
    Re: Hawaii Crime Watch

Wow this thread did generate a whole lot of responses - sorry about that. This was not our intentions, I almost regret posting it here but hey if I didn't I wouldn't get all those very smart questions and issues we (The HCW Team) have to deal with.

We have so far got support from Mike Lopilato Executive Director of the popular CrimeWatch USA, Inc. and have been colaborating with someone who is an ex-HPD Officer and INTERPOL Agent who is currently working for the Government. As soon as we work everything out your questions will be answered either in this forum or on our site.

I like Mike Lopilato's signature in his email:

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Thanks again HawaiiThreads!
    HCW Team

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by lurkah
    In its own way, wouldn't you say that HawaiiThreads.com is more of a local-type Hawaiian-style neighborhood meeting mostly made up of non-slimy folks, rather than an "anything goes" type of world-wide chatroom...
    ...let me uh... 'assume' where yer goin with this, and let me say this, about that:
    a diversity of opinions and perspectives as well as equally diverse ways of expressing them is not usually looked upon as a universally reviled thing; in fact is quite welcome in some thinking circles....
    To generate a distilled forum wherein everyone talks the same and agrees on everything and where there is no exchange of ideas, no challenging of the status quo, or even dissecting of non thought out firm-held common believes or ideas... . that' ain't good or healthy for children and other living things.
    Last edited by kimo55; July 18, 2005, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

In its own way, wouldn't you say that HawaiiThreads.com is more of a local-type Hawaiian-style neighborhood meeting mostly made up of non-slimy folks, rather than an "anything goes" type of world-wide chatroom or message board that can be found on websites like AOL? I think maybe we unintentionally bring that "usually assume the worst" kind of attitude in from the outside instead of checking it at the door like we do with our virtual rubbah slippahs.
    No. No, I wouldn't. Not until someone's at least said howzit and made a few comments. People like HCW Team show up, register, and the first thing out of their mouths is "hey, come look at my web site!" What am I supposed to think about these people? I don't know anything about them, how they are, what their opinions are, nothing.

Now, if Kimo55 says "hey, come look at my web site!", I have a general idea of what it might be, because Kimo has said enough that I can guess where he might be coming from. I might not like his web site, but at least he's made an effort to be a part of this community first.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; July 18, 2005, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lurkah
    replied

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

If this was somebody coming to a neighborhood meeting and proposing a new thing, you could look him in the eye and say that. But over the Internet, I have no idea who this person is or what his intentions are. Maybe he's well-meaning, or maybe he's slimy. I can't tell. And I guess it's sad to say, but I usually assume the worst.
    In its own way, wouldn't you say that HawaiiThreads.com is more of a local-type Hawaiian-style neighborhood meeting mostly made up of non-slimy folks, rather than an "anything goes" type of world-wide chatroom or message board that can be found on websites like AOL? I think maybe we unintentionally bring that "usually assume the worst" kind of attitude in from the outside instead of checking it at the door like we do with our virtual rubbah slippahs.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    I don't know about this. They certainly had the criticism coming, but they both presented ideas that were perhaps not very well-thought-out, and that by itself doesn't deserve hostility. A gentle "hey, have you thought about this?" is probably all it takes.

I don't see it as "hostility" or as having been taken as such, but as constructive (albeit a lil hard'n'fast) criticism, which they appreciate, it looks like...
    IF... they have a thin a skin as is assumed, they ought not be in the industry in which they... are in...

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Maybe to those with a pessimistic view of things. Someone with an optimistic view might have seen my remark as, "Wow, I thought he died long time ago, but he's still alive!", which is how it was intended. Somehow the word "assume" keeps coming back.
    I am pessimistically optimitstic you knew, even tho I assume, as we all to to some extent, it goes further than that and you will have ocular proof of that if you read fully my poststs's.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

A gentle "hey, have you thought about this?" is probably all it takes.

we all have our own degrees of gentle-ness, and our own ways of saying "hey, have you thought about this?"
    the delivery shouldn't diminish the message any less or more...

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Maybe we all ought to take a little 'time out' here, as this thread is degenerating rapidly.
    When the thread started, I had some basic and obvious questions about the HCW website. When HCW replied, they didn't answer any of the questions but at least had the sense to take their website down because of the questions and are, hopefully, working to fix it.
    I was also aware of the TRO situation in the beginning but felt it was irrelevant to the website issue, so I chose to ignore it and didn't mention it.
    Let's all just chill for a bit, k?

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

I don't know about this. They certainly had the criticism coming, but they both presented ideas that were perhaps not very well-thought-out, and that by itself doesn't deserve hostility. A gentle "hey, have you thought about this?" is probably all it takes.
    This is where my point comes in about the nature of the Internet. If this was somebody coming to a neighborhood meeting and proposing a new thing, you could look him in the eye and say that. But over the Internet, I have no idea who this person is or what his intentions are. Maybe he's well-meaning, or maybe he's slimy. I can't tell. And I guess it's sad to say, but I usually assume the worst.

Leave a comment:

• lurkah
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lurkah
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55

dass cuz ya replied:
    "Dang, I thought dat buggah wen mahke long time ago. "
    which to some, may imply a wee bit of a quizzical sense of dissapointment.
    ("dang; he ain't dead!?")
    Maybe to those with a pessimistic view of things. Someone with an optimistic view might have seen my remark as, "Wow, I thought he died long time ago, but he's still alive!", which is how it was intended. Somehow the word "assume" keeps coming back.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    It depends on the nature of the project. In both cases you mention, I think the creators had it coming.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Could it be a personal knee-jerk reaction to wanting to most always reply with an answer skewed towards being cynical and sarcastic? Your very first reply to me in the wrestling thread is a very good example.
    dass cuz ya replied:
    "Dang, I thought dat buggah wen mahke long time ago. "
    which to some, may imply a wee bit of a quizzical sense of dissapointment.
    ("dang; he ain't dead!?")
    ya know, li dat.
    So... as is employed often and with good results, I respond with what you view as cynicism and sarcasm.
    For the same reason it is employed for centuries in a worldwide scope;
    to ferret out your true and real and expanded feelings. debate and discussion help solidify your convictions. If someone's stance is not clear, it may be pointed out, and in a fashion not quite accustomed to by some. Doesn't mean ya otta run and hide. or say "yer not communicating like i wanna"

But, no baddah me. I can hando.
    that's what i thought, and that's why i threw ya something I thot you can hando.

Other folks might see that and never come back.
    and that's their limitation and their lack of mental wherewithall or conversational backbone. Who wants weaklings in the ring who don't wanna be entertained?
    Last edited by kimo55; July 18, 2005, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

What's giving me an oojie feeling is that we don't handle stuff like this with much tact or gentleness. We did the same thing with the Bus Stories person, and while everyone had concerns worth posting, just as it did here, the concern turned to an odd hostility that didn't seem warranted.
    It depends on the nature of the project. In both cases you mention, I think the creators had it coming.

In the Bus Stories case, there were concerns raised about the guy potentially profiting off of others' work without their clear knowledge or permission. That seemed to me to be a reasonable thing to be critical of.

In this HCW case, I agree with Kimo and LikaNui that it's questionable as to exactly what kind of information the site would offer, and what value such information would offer. If it's actionable, then shouldn't you go to the authorities? And if it's not, then what have you got? Just innuendo and accusations.

I do think that posting the guy's old TRO was malicious, in poor taste, and not especially relevant to the discussion.

But I think the thing that set my hackles rising in both of these cases was that the creators of these web sites didn't effectively explain who they were, and what they were about. Over the Internet, where all that people can judge you by are your words, it's critical that you explain yourself when you ask others to give of themselves for your project.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; July 18, 2005, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lurkah
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55

yep, yer right, they didn't diRECTally ask for it. It is mostly implied. maybe unconciously.
    Or it might not have even been there in the first place. Unless you know the other party fairly well, it's always dangerous to assume anything. I'd like to give HCW the benefit of the doubt by thinking that they thought that their website was as ready as ready can be, and if they wanted to seek website-related opinions and criticisms, they could have polled a smaller audience, like maybe their own personal circle of friends, before making a "grand opening" type of announcement like they did here. Scrivener said, "What's giving me an oojie feeling is that we don't handle stuff like this with much tact or gentleness." That gives me an oojie feeling too, which I think it should. What's good about all of this is it gives us all a chance to "look in the mirror" and reflect on where each of us is coming from.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X