Hawaii Crime Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hula Halau

Why would we report crime on a message board, when we can just call up the police/fire/medic?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
      Why would we report crime on a message board, when we can just call up the police/fire/medic?

uh, yea. thanks. that IS the general point that has being made here.
      Last edited by kimo55; July 16, 2005, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Crime Watch

I briefly wondered if my responses to HCW were too negative but I still think we've all asked some very logical and legitimate questions that must be answered before we can support HCW.
        And I also realized another hazard of a message board that asks folks to report crimes and "similar things" -- there are criminals who watch for things like that in order to gain more info about potential targets and victims! If you post that someone had something of great value stolen, the criminal waits a month or two until they think the insurance company has replaced it, then they hit the victim again because they already know what's likely to be there. Ditto for obituaries that post the date and time of funerals, so criminals know that the family's home will surely be unoccupied at a given date and time.
        So now, besides our prior questions about HCW, there's another point or two to ponder and await their reply.
        Funny that the "HCW Team" haven't posted here again yet. Maybe the message was just a spam -- post one notice then not come back. Interesting.
        On the other hand, if they're spamming it's obviously not working so far. Still just the same four messages on their board, and still just one single member -- the board administrator.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          Hoooo, boy... this raises all kinds of red flags for me! My first impression is that it's some kind of vigilante operation, as the website in question apparently has zero affiliation with any legitimate and sanctioned organization, such as HPD, HFD, etc.
          As far as I can tell so far, it's just another forum where the type of people who engage in flame wars online or who have grudges against someone in real life can try to cause more trouble for their victims. It seems to be an opportunity to commit libel without fear of retribution.
          You really should go into a helluva lot more detail in establishing any kind of credibility, both here and on the website. Plus, there's been nothing whatsoever in the local media.
          Your website has a section apparently for people to file reports to the police and fire departments, so if this was truly a legitimate service the news media would've covered it. Why would anyone file reports on an independent non-official website instead of calling 9-1-1? I don't get it at all.

Anymore ideas? We would really appreciate it.

Please, we are in no way trying to harm anyone in providing this service. LikaNui you have some great ideas but forgive us for not answering every question (whoa boy lots of questions but VERY GOOD ONES!) we will be revising our Rules and Regs and Disclaimers because of your great questions!

We just launched this site this week and were hoping to get some users before going to the news with it, we were just hoping to get some support from other online communities. We will be approaching the authorities regarding this site.

Like I said, this is a new site and I am helping them 'design' it. I am working with hawaii411, KeikiID and 808sites with this project and do not want any trouble. We did do another site for the public called MFSUSA Messages for Soldiers and did get news recognition and were even seen on CNN so we do have experience with public service type of websites.

Your comments has helped out alot and we are willing to link and support any forum that suppoprts us. We want to work with each other not against each other.

**If you could so kindly remove the registrant information above. I have 3 little kids ages 2 to 5 and pray everyday for their safety. Having my name and address in this forum does not help secure things.**

Like our forum, these type of things would not happen, for one, we have a code that blocks out numbers, this way if someone tries to enter an address or phone number it is blocked and two: all messages has to be approved before being posted.

Thanks again.
          Last edited by HCW Team; July 16, 2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HCW Team
            If you could so kindly remove the registrant information above. I have 3 little kids ages 2 to 5 and pray everyday for their safety. Having my name and address in this forum does not help secure things.
            As a courtesy, and against my personal preference, I have redacted the information. You should be aware, however, that your domain registration details are publicly available via a number of channels, including your own webhost. It would take anyone finding this thread exactly fifteen seconds to look it up themselves.

If your name and contact information was something you specifically didn't want linked with your project, I would have thought things through a little better before going live with the site. You can't put the genie back into the bottle, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
              As a courtesy, and against my personal preference, I have redacted the information. You should be aware, however, that your domain registration details are publicly available via a number of channels, including your own webhost. It would take anyone finding this thread exactly fifteen seconds to look it up themselves.

If your name and contact information was something you specifically didn't want linked with your project, I would have thought things through a little better before going live with the site. You can't put the genie back into the bottle, as they say.
              Yep you're right. Thanks.

We are consulting with other similar organizations in the US regarding a project like this and will have answers for you soon. Mahalo and thank you.
              Last edited by HCW Team; July 16, 2005, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Aloha!

WE just launched a new website / FREE public service called Hawaii Crime Watch. And are looking to get Hawaii's Online Community to assist Hawaii's Authorities by reporting (posting) any type of suspicous activity, criminal acts and things of that nature. www.hawaiicrimewatch.com

purdee damn suspicious; it's down for the count!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  uh, yea. thanks. that IS the general point that has being made here.
                  Whoa, I clicked reply and at last check, there was about 2 or 3 posts, but when I check back a few days later, my post went down to the bottom.

My DSL must really slowed down that time.
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                    Yep, I recaptured the deleted information and have it with my collection of quirky text files that I keep for reference. Just go to http://whois.godaddy.com, and enter in the domain name. There are other whois domain name servers out there too.

HawaiiCrimeWatch's web board is down as of this morning when I just checked. They only have their logo up.
                    Last edited by mel; July 17, 2005, 05:35 AM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      purdee damn suspicious; it's down for the count!
                      Not down just ironing out all the rough edges. We will be re-launching soon. Thanks Kimo55

Comment

There are ways of having that information protected, HCW Team. My own webhost allows me to pretty much put any info I want in the WHOIS, with a few limitations. I've used fictitious names, addresses, and phone numbers, and so have a lot of other people I've looked up. I don't know how GoDaddy handles it, though, so asking them or someone else who does might be a good place to start.

But yeah. Pzarquon's right. It took fifteen seconds to get that info doing a NetSol WHOIS.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

LikaNui you have some great ideas but forgive us for not answering every question (whoa boy lots of questions but VERY GOOD ONES!) we will be revising our Rules and Regs and Disclaimers because of your great questions!
                          I'm glad you appreciated my questions, but I have to wonder why you didn't answer them... and instead asked us to forgive you for not answering them. That's a very odd response and does nothing to help your cause whatsoever. I'd suggest that you folks invest in a good Public Relations advisor to help you through your start-up woes.

We will be approaching the authorities regarding this site.
                          I can't begin to imagine that anyone would take the time and expense to create as much as you've already done without having checked with the authorities as the very first step. Kinda putting the proverbial cart in front of the horse, methinks.

If you could so kindly remove the registrant information above. I have 3 little kids ages 2 to 5 and pray everyday for their safety. Having my name and address in this forum does not help secure things.
                          My thanks to the powers-that-be for editing those out for me. As several others have noted, the information is readily available in many other ways.
                          Anyway, I'll be looking forward to eventually seeing answers to the questions... hopefully sooner rather than later.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Such a stand up citizen that his wife filed a restraining order against him.

Hawai'i State Judiciary
                            Non-Criminal Case Information Screen
                            1DA99-0-001649
                            Initiation Date: 11-02-1999 Initiation Type: N Confidential Code: N
                            Initiator I.D.: APS Division: Court: F
                            Cause of Action: TEMP REST ORDRE Nature of Action: 33000
                            Last edited by admin; July 18, 2005, 10:13 AM. Reason: Removed full detail.

Comment

Ooh, ouch. Welcome to the 21st century.

Comment

Although I am gigling at what grunchley found regarding the restraining order filed by the wife who wants to start a crime watch website...it is not fair to his wife to post her name and the other information. It would have been sufficient to just say, "he has a restraining order filed against him by his wife."

It is always sometimes "true" that people change for the better and want to do good for the community. In this case, I'm still gigling!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

PS. On closer look...it was in 1999. Case dissolved.
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; July 18, 2005, 10:00 AM.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X