• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Crime Watch

Originally posted by kimo55

dass cuz ya replied:
    "Dang, I thought dat buggah wen mahke long time ago. "
    which to some, may imply a wee bit of a quizzical sense of dissapointment.
    ("dang; he ain't dead!?")
    Maybe to those with a pessimistic view of things. Someone with an optimistic view might have seen my remark as, "Wow, I thought he died long time ago, but he's still alive!", which is how it was intended. Somehow the word "assume" keeps coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

I don't know about this. They certainly had the criticism coming, but they both presented ideas that were perhaps not very well-thought-out, and that by itself doesn't deserve hostility. A gentle "hey, have you thought about this?" is probably all it takes.

Comment

I don't know about this. They certainly had the criticism coming, but they both presented ideas that were perhaps not very well-thought-out, and that by itself doesn't deserve hostility. A gentle "hey, have you thought about this?" is probably all it takes.
        This is where my point comes in about the nature of the Internet. If this was somebody coming to a neighborhood meeting and proposing a new thing, you could look him in the eye and say that. But over the Internet, I have no idea who this person is or what his intentions are. Maybe he's well-meaning, or maybe he's slimy. I can't tell. And I guess it's sad to say, but I usually assume the worst.

Comment

Maybe we all ought to take a little 'time out' here, as this thread is degenerating rapidly.
          When the thread started, I had some basic and obvious questions about the HCW website. When HCW replied, they didn't answer any of the questions but at least had the sense to take their website down because of the questions and are, hopefully, working to fix it.
          I was also aware of the TRO situation in the beginning but felt it was irrelevant to the website issue, so I chose to ignore it and didn't mention it.
          Let's all just chill for a bit, k?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

A gentle "hey, have you thought about this?" is probably all it takes.

we all have our own degrees of gentle-ness, and our own ways of saying "hey, have you thought about this?"
            the delivery shouldn't diminish the message any less or more...

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              Maybe to those with a pessimistic view of things. Someone with an optimistic view might have seen my remark as, "Wow, I thought he died long time ago, but he's still alive!", which is how it was intended. Somehow the word "assume" keeps coming back.
              I am pessimistically optimitstic you knew, even tho I assume, as we all to to some extent, it goes further than that and you will have ocular proof of that if you read fully my poststs's.

Comment

I don't see it as "hostility" or as having been taken as such, but as constructive (albeit a lil hard'n'fast) criticism, which they appreciate, it looks like...
                IF... they have a thin a skin as is assumed, they ought not be in the industry in which they... are in...

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

If this was somebody coming to a neighborhood meeting and proposing a new thing, you could look him in the eye and say that. But over the Internet, I have no idea who this person is or what his intentions are. Maybe he's well-meaning, or maybe he's slimy. I can't tell. And I guess it's sad to say, but I usually assume the worst.
                  In its own way, wouldn't you say that HawaiiThreads.com is more of a local-type Hawaiian-style neighborhood meeting mostly made up of non-slimy folks, rather than an "anything goes" type of world-wide chatroom or message board that can be found on websites like AOL? I think maybe we unintentionally bring that "usually assume the worst" kind of attitude in from the outside instead of checking it at the door like we do with our virtual rubbah slippahs.

Comment

In its own way, wouldn't you say that HawaiiThreads.com is more of a local-type Hawaiian-style neighborhood meeting mostly made up of non-slimy folks, rather than an "anything goes" type of world-wide chatroom or message board that can be found on websites like AOL? I think maybe we unintentionally bring that "usually assume the worst" kind of attitude in from the outside instead of checking it at the door like we do with our virtual rubbah slippahs.
                    No. No, I wouldn't. Not until someone's at least said howzit and made a few comments. People like HCW Team show up, register, and the first thing out of their mouths is "hey, come look at my web site!" What am I supposed to think about these people? I don't know anything about them, how they are, what their opinions are, nothing.

Now, if Kimo55 says "hey, come look at my web site!", I have a general idea of what it might be, because Kimo has said enough that I can guess where he might be coming from. I might not like his web site, but at least he's made an effort to be a part of this community first.
                    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; July 18, 2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

In its own way, wouldn't you say that HawaiiThreads.com is more of a local-type Hawaiian-style neighborhood meeting mostly made up of non-slimy folks, rather than an "anything goes" type of world-wide chatroom...
                      ...let me uh... 'assume' where yer goin with this, and let me say this, about that:
                      a diversity of opinions and perspectives as well as equally diverse ways of expressing them is not usually looked upon as a universally reviled thing; in fact is quite welcome in some thinking circles....
                      To generate a distilled forum wherein everyone talks the same and agrees on everything and where there is no exchange of ideas, no challenging of the status quo, or even dissecting of non thought out firm-held common believes or ideas... . that' ain't good or healthy for children and other living things.
                      Last edited by kimo55; July 18, 2005, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Wow this thread did generate a whole lot of responses - sorry about that. This was not our intentions, I almost regret posting it here but hey if I didn't I wouldn't get all those very smart questions and issues we (The HCW Team) have to deal with.

We have so far got support from Mike Lopilato Executive Director of the popular CrimeWatch USA, Inc. and have been colaborating with someone who is an ex-HPD Officer and INTERPOL Agent who is currently working for the Government. As soon as we work everything out your questions will be answered either in this forum or on our site.

I like Mike Lopilato's signature in his email:

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
                        Edmund Burke

Thanks again HawaiiThreads!
                        HCW Team

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

...let me uh... 'assume' where yer goin with this, and let me say this, about that:
                          a diversity of opinions and perspectives as well as equally diverse ways of expressing them is not usually looked upon as a universally reviled thing; in fact is quite welcome in some thinking circles....
                          To generate a distilled forum wherein everyone talks the same and agrees on everything and where there is no exchange of ideas, no challenging of the status quo, or even dissecting of non thought out firm-held common believes or ideas... . that' ain't good or healthy for children and other living things.
                          Hah?

No, I don't think that HawaiiThreads.com is a petrie dish that contains only good germs. Get good germs, bad germs, big germs, small germs, get anykine germs that make up the contents of the petrie dish. But unless given obvious reasons to spray disinfectant, I personally wouldn't try to sterilize the petrie dish without first checking the bad germs out. They haven't hurt me because they're still in the petrie dish, and they might not be bad at all upon closer inspection. And if they are, then they can be exposed, irradicated and dealt with while still being contained within da petrie dish. In other words, maybe can try look and listen first before letting any preconceived ideas we might have blind us to what's really there.

Comment

I can see Glen's point, insofar as we rightfully treat with some skepticism anyone who registers and posts a first message that is promotional in nature. Most of the time, we hear nothing from them again -- at least in this case, HCW has made some effort to reply.

But asking legitimate questions about a web project and posting court records about the domain registrant -- however public and official that information is -- still crosses the line between being suspicious and being mean. Part of me thinks its ironic that at the same time we've decried the possibility of "vigilante justice" being mindlessly propogated by the web site in question, someone here has actually gone down that road.

There are some fora online where chaos reigns supreme, where it's dog-eat-dog and where it's every geek for himself. Like Lurkah, I'd like to think this is not one of those places. There are plenty of back alleys where you can prowl if you're looking for trouble. Let HawaiiThreads.com be more like your auntie's spacious lanai. There's some funny looks and the occasional barb, but I hope we don't make a habit of tarring and feathering everyone who walks up the front steps.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              But asking legitimate questions about a web project and posting court records about the domain registrant -- however public and official that information is -- still crosses the line between being suspicious and being mean.
                              Okay, Ryan, I'm a little unclear on the comment above. I presume you meant it's okay to ask legitimate questions (like mine here earlier, presumably) but that the TRO posting crossed the line? Or are you saying that asking legitimate questions also crosses the line?
                              Just a little clarification, please.

Comment

Originally posted by HCW Team
                                Wow this thread did generate a whole lot of responses - sorry about that.
                                No need to apologize. The forum is here to generate questions and responses!
                                You've been very kind (and wise) in not taking some of the responses personally. In any internet group there will always be a few whose manners are less than desirable. Best to ignore them, as you've done. There's a lot of "thread drift" going on here, so just skip over the personality clashes and focus on the comments that you find helpful.

I almost regret posting it here but hey if I didn't I wouldn't get all those very smart questions and issues we (The HCW Team) have to deal with.
                                Believe me, most of us here hope that what you're trying to do is legitimate and will be of some help! No regrets. Keep plugging away and if your project is righteous then most of us will support it to the max.

Comment

Working...
                                X