Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AlohaBulletin.com

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    AlohaBulletin.com

    Manoa, once again, I would appreciate it if you'd let me speak for myself. No one's putting heat on anyone. I'm about as cool as they come. And I'll be the first to tell anyone, I know a hell of a lot less than I pretend to know.

    kahuna_big, if you're as web savvy as you imply that you are, you can't possibly be surprised by the skeptical reception you've had to your initial post. "Check out this cool website!" Even if you aren't affiliated, and just wanted to share, how exactly would you interpret a new user's intentions if their first post was so promotional in nature?

    There are a lot of good conversations to be had here at HawaiiThreads.com. So your "wanted to share" AlohaBulletin.com thread is a bomb. Check out some other topics. You'll find we're a pretty decent bunch... at least half as entertaining as the "missed connections" section of Craigslist!

    In the mean time, some folks -- skeptics, nosy nabobs, wannabe sleuths, what have you -- will probably continue to try to get to the bottom of the AlohaBulletin.com site.

    For example... I was intrigued to see that Roberts Hawaii apparently liked the site enough to advertise their job listings. But I checked out the job listings on Roberts Hawaii's official site, and found the same typo ("If interested come in an apply"), so I suspect the AlohaBulletin.com webmaster just copy-pasted in their ads to make it look less empty.

    Having attempted to run more than a couple of listing sites myself, I suspect there'll be more spam at AlohaBulletin.com than anything else. You know, "work from home," "home typists wanted," "cheap cellphones," and the like. Heck, we get our share of the stuff here! Craigslist might have spam, too, but it also benefits from an active user community that does relatively well in policing itself.
    Last edited by pzarquon; May 16, 2006, 08:29 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Aloha Bulletin

      Too funny... now the new site is showing up in a Craigslist posting...

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: AlohaBulletin.com

        Originally posted by pzarquon
        Manoa, once again, I would appreciate it if you'd let me speak for myself. No one's putting heat on anyone. I'm about as cool as they come. And I'll be the first to tell anyone, I know a hell of a lot less than I pretend to know.

        kahuna_big, if you're as web savvy as you imply that you are, you can't possibly be surprised by the skeptical reception you've had to your initial post. "Check out this cool website!" Even if you aren't affiliated, and just wanted to share, how exactly would you interpret a new user's intentions if their first post was so promotional in nature?

        There are a lot of good conversations to be had here at HawaiiThreads.com. So your "wanted to share" AlohaBulletin.com thread is a bomb. Check out some other topics. You'll find we're a pretty decent bunch... at least half as entertaining as the "missed connections" section of Craigslist!

        In the mean time, some folks -- skeptics, nosy nabobs, wannabe sleuths, what have you -- will probably continue to try to get to the bottom of the AlohaBulletin.com site.

        For example... I was intrigued to see that Roberts Hawaii apparently liked the site enough to advertise their job listings. But I checked out the job listings on Roberts Hawaii's official site, and found the same typo ("If interested come in an apply"), so I suspect the AlohaBulletin.com webmaster just copy-pasted in their ads to make it look less empty.

        Having attempted to run more than a couple of listing sites myself, I suspect there'll be more spam at AlohaBulletin.com than anything else. You know, "work from home," "home typists wanted," "cheap cellphones," and the like. Heck, we get our share of the stuff here! Craigslist might have spam, too, but it also benefits from an active user community that does relatively well in policing itself.
        I pm'd you PZ.

        In no way or no how...did I ever speak for you or paraphrase you.
        I simply commented on what I observed.

        I said I have the "feeling"...he might get some heat... however I never said that he was going to get heat! "feeling" and "going" are two much different observations... had I said that he was going to get heat...and not added "I get the feeling" in front of it...then maybe I could see that you thought I might be putting words into your mouth....

        However... I only said... "I get the feeling..."

        and yes mr. Kahuna Big.... PZ is truly one of the coolest people out there... he runs this board with the utmost respect for everyones opinions.... while being humble about it at the same time.

        Manoa
        Last edited by damontucker; May 16, 2006, 08:45 PM. Reason: clarification

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Aloha Bulletin

          Originally posted by Palolo Joe
          Too funny... now the new site is showing up in a Craigslist posting...
          That is hilarious. Well, I guess only if kahuna_big is affiliated with AlohaBulletin.com, given the initial complaint about spam at Craigslist. He/she hasn't said either way, but implies otherwise. For all we know, AlohaBulletin.com is being dissected over here, and its hapless webmaster is completely oblivious.

          I doubt it, though.
          Originally posted by kahuna_big
          Maybe you should email the guys over at allohabulletin.com and suggest them to add some hibiscus/palm tree/beach pictures to make it more aloha!!
          It would be a start. I mean, seriously. The site as it stands is exactly how it comes "out of the box." I can't quite place the CMS, but it's a very common setup. Even a cheesy rainbow logo done up in Paint Shop Pro would be a significant improvement.
          Originally posted by kahuna_big
          You can think anyway you want, you think the website says "last updated 2002" really means 2002, this must be your first day on the net, maybe the dream project is finally coming true.
          I would like to think a tech-minded fellow like an EE major would be pretty good about maintaining a datestamp. Further, the Internet Archive doesn't reflect any changes to the page since 2002 as well. Finally, most of the other domains listed are expired or invalid. I wouldn't be surprised if AlohaBulletin.com was similarly abandoned.

          But, you're right, I can only guess. I don't know. I've e-mailed Saiyoot just in case, at least as a courtesy since his name's been mentioned. You, however, know if you're affiliated with AlohaBulletin.com. So you can just let us know, straight up, and half the skepticism will evaporate immediately.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Aloha Bulletin

            Originally posted by pzarquon
            That is hilarious. Well, I guess only if kahuna_big is affiliated with AlohaBulletin.com, given the initial complaint about spam at Craigslist. He/she hasn't said either way, but implies otherwise. For all we know, AlohaBulletin.com is being dissected over here, and its hapless webmaster is completely oblivious.

            I doubt it, though.It would be a start. I mean, seriously. The site as it stands is exactly how it comes "out of the box." I can't quite place the CMS, but it's a very common setup. Even a cheesy rainbow logo done up in Paint Shop Pro would be a significant improvement.I would like to think a tech-minded fellow like an EE major would be pretty good about maintaining a datestamp. Further, the Internet Archive doesn't reflect any changes to the page since 2002 as well. Finally, most of the other domains listed are expired or invalid. I wouldn't be surprised if AlohaBulletin.com was similarly abandoned.

            But, you're right, I can only guess. I don't know. I've e-mailed Saiyoot just in case, at least as a courtesy since his name's been mentioned. You, however, know if you're affiliated with AlohaBulletin.com. So you can just let us know, straight up, and half the skepticism will evaporate immediately.
            very nice of you to email saiyoot...

            I've been wondering about that all day...

            His name just getting thrown around by someone who probably doesn't even know him...

            I think I actually mentioned that in my earlier posts. (dunno why i never emailed him myself)

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: AlohaBulletin.com

              Originally posted by pzarquon
              [...]For example... I was intrigued to see that Roberts Hawaii apparently liked the site enough to advertise their job listings. But I checked out the job listings on Roberts Hawaii's official site, and found the same typo ("If interested come in an apply"), so I suspect the AlohaBulletin.com webmaster just copy-pasted in their ads to make it look less empty.[...]
              As of early yesterday evening there was only a total of 3 ads on that site. Now there are 15. I don't have time to check for the CPS (copy & paste syndrome) but something tells me someone's afflicted!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: AlohaBulletin.com

                But, you're right, I can only guess.
                I'm right, you said it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: AlohaBulletin.com

                  And now you're starting to enter troll territory...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: AlohaBulletin.com

                    Saiyoot Nakkhongkham kindly replied and confirmed that he's no longer the owner of the AlohaBulletin.com domain. Which is good to note here, since this thread is currently the top result for Google searches for Saiyoot's name!

                    Meanwhile, I think we have confirmation that the post that started this all is indeed spam, and not a kind-hearted web wanderer sharing a new find.

                    Here's the same post, word for word, posted the same day on the Craigslist for Bangalore, India. And for Mumbai. And for Barcelona, Spain. Probably other places as well.

                    So not only is AlohaBulletin.com a mediocre, cookie-cutter excuse for a Craigslist wannabe, and one that steals content to look less deserted, but one that is relentlessly (and gracelessly) promoted via spam. Thumbs down, here.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: AlohaBulletin.com

                      Game, set & match - pzarquon.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X