Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Advertiser website

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Try looking up something that's more than a couple months old.
    Exactly. Star Bulletin you can go back 12 years and look things up which is fantastic.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      Try looking up something that's more than a couple months old.
      true. very true.

Comment

I dunno if it's just me but it seems like the website is much easier to view and find stories.

Kudos to the Honolulu Advertiser if they did streamline the webpage a bit.

Comment

Well, now you can add another to my list of complaints about the new website. If you're looking up a story that's more than a week old, and you want a copy of that one story, you're required to register and pay for that story.

So much for being able to conduct research......

Comment

And you can't leave the site by using the BACK button.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
              Well, now you can add another to my list of complaints about the new website. If you're looking up a story that's more than a week old, and you want a copy of that one story, you're required to register and pay for that story.

So much for being able to conduct research......
              Hamilton Library at UH-Manoa scans and archives all printed pages of Hawaii's dailies (even ad inserts). You only have to search the online catalog and yank the corresponding microfilm to read the article of interest. Printing is $.10/page.

If you never hear from me again, you'll know the Gannet media assassins found me.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                Hamilton Library at UH-Manoa scans and archives all printed pages of Hawaii's dailies (even ad inserts). You only have to search the online catalog and yank the corresponding microfilm to read the article of interest. Printing is $.10/page.

If you never hear from me again, you'll know the Gannet media assassins found me.
                Nah, someone might be eyeballin' the impressive printing figures UH is racking up. Silence the informants? Of course not!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Most of the libraries in town, especially the main library has nearly a month of hard copy edition of the local newspapers you can still peruse. I still use the old micrfilms or microfiche to look at older newspapers, some of the branch libraries provide this service as well.

Aj

Comment

When I use micofilm at the state public library and if I want a copy of what is on the screen, I whip out the digital camera and take a picture of it. Costs nothing.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If you google the Advertiser article you're looking for, you get it, for free. And a google search is usually more effective than a search on the Advertiser website.

Comment

I notice that the Honolulu Advertiser website is also using some pop over ads that briefly covers their content. At least on the front page.

However unlike the StarBulletin.com site, after the ad pops, it seems to push all or some of the content below the ad....at least that is the illusion I get. Like SB you have the "close ad" option too.

Of course I find this just as annoying as the StarBulletin or any other website that utilizes this feature.

Another annoyance is that Advertiser.com leaves "doo doo" on your desktop... pop under ads that you don't see until you close your main browser window. Yuck!

Like the StarBulletin you can avoid these annoyances by either avoiding the site, using ad blocking software or utilizing their minimalist mobile site. Here is the direct link the the Honolulu Advertiser mobile site which is free of most of the clutter from the main site:

http://m.honoluluadvertiser.com/
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I only saw one pop-up ad on the Advertiser site, and that was a couple of days ago. None of them since then.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The pop ups doesn't seem as persistent as the other paper. They do leave more pop unders. Just provided the mobile link as a point of information.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Another thing that ticks me off is the way the Advertiser handles their Breaking News. I check it several times each day, along with CNN.com for national and international news.
                              Quite often the Advertiser will show Breaking News items as being "updated" when in fact they're word for word the same as earlier versions.
                              And other times new items are placed farther down the list, so at first glance old items are on top and it doesn't appear anything new has been added, except I've learned to scroll down and see.
                              Both of those things are annoying, but still the Advertiser is the best source for Breaking News. Sometimes the S-B won't do any for days on end, and even the few times they do there's only one or two items.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Both of those things are annoying, but still the Advertiser is the best source for Breaking News. Sometimes the S-B won't do any for days on end, and even the few times they do there's only one or two items.
                                I'd say we are... But I'm biased.

Comment

Working...
                                X