Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

This is a technical question.

Can someone explain to why some stories jump to a second page on the Web edition of the Star Bulletin?

And what is the point of a second page in this case, for example?

Check out Erika's piece this morning on the shuffling of magazine distributors. Here's the link:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...al_levels.html

It says in the appropriate place "page 1 of two." And yet when you go to page 2, this is all that is posted:

"Erika Engle is a reporter with the Star-Bulletin. Reach her by e-mail at erika@starbulletin.com."

This kind of thing has occurred elsewhere previously - where you click to page two and there is only an additional one or two lines. What's the sense of that? I'm only guessing there must be some kind of "formula" that mandates after so many lines or so many words, thou shalt jump to another page?

Just seems like another annoyance in the new format. But I WOULD like to know the reason.

Comment

Looks like an automated page-break routine.

To avoid this a program needs to be written or a parameter set where if "x" doesn't exceed a given value, or number of lines, then don't go to a second page.

And they should get rid of those silly story summaries. That's why the "inverted pyramid" method of newswriting was invented.

Comment

I noticed the same thing as Kimo. And it's been happening for at least a month. Extremely annoying. Just their way of trying to force us to see more ads?
        And yesterday there were two instances when I hit the Close button on big pop-up ads and instead of closing them, it opened them. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
        I tried just using the mobile version, but it seems that a new day's stories aren't posted until noon or so. The mobile version will have the correct date at the top of the page, but the prior day's stories. Sheesh.
        I love the SB and would love to see them keep going, but my frustation level is nearing its maximum.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Laying off Web people doesn't help either. Can't be helped, right now, but it's another hurdle.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

(sorry - duplicate post - but don't know how to delete the whole thing)
            Last edited by Kimo; March 11, 2009, 06:24 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

Happened again today - to the extreme. The final letter-to-the-editor appears at the "bottom" of page 2, and the writer's signature appears as the only thing on page 3. Weird - it's like no one looks at the stuff once it's posted to check against the common sense rule?

Comment

All of the reasons cited previously regarding pop ups, story jumps, no timely update of mobile site, etc. makes me use the StarBulletin.com website less and less.

They're doing good at driving eyeballs AWAY from the site.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There's a "single page" format button at the top of every story.

When someone devises a profitable way of producing an online news site that makes everyone happy, please let us know.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                    There's a "single page" format button at the top of every story.

When someone devises a profitable way of producing an online news site that makes everyone happy, please let us know.
                    Consider this: Compile these complaints, and take advantage of the feedback to make improvements.

Comment

I know this thread is about HNLSB on the web, but I am going to place my grief here: since they stopped neighbor-isle delivery, my husband and I are in mourning.

The website never will give us the full value of the paper, because so much of its content doesnʻt get put online. Subscribing was never an available option, so we'd buy it retail from the selected locations that sold it–and we knew about every one.

Now we cannot even get that.

They could have doubled the price and I would have paid it. They could deliver it to my mailbox a day late, and it would still be gratefully read. Even if only the Sunday edition made it across the channel, I would buy it every time.

Due to these severe withdrawals, it would be wise to keep the bean-countin' asshole who made the dumbass decision to deny we neighbor islanders our paper in seclusion, lest irate citizens like me go :::::upside his/her head with a clue-by-four.

I am still not ruling out storming their offices on my next HNL run.

I want my paper, bish!

pax

Comment

A rather gloomy story in the NYT guesstimating which major American city will be the first to have no daily newspaper.

As you might expect, Jeff Jarvis is cheerleading that on. He's one of those "new media" triumphalists who thinks bloggers will have the resources to replace newspaper reporters. That makes him a fool in my book.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          And they should get rid of those silly story summaries. That's why the "inverted pyramid" method of newswriting was invented.
                          Amen to that! Journalism 101, or, if you went to UH, Journalism 201. This is what happens when you let “feature-writing” invade the front page. Stopgap measures like “summaries” need to be introduced. Then again, newspapers haven’t been any more immune from the “infotainment” pushers that have shaped t.v. news.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            Amen to that! Journalism 101, or, if you went to UH, Journalism 201. This is what happens when you let “feature-writing” invade the front page. Stopgap measures like “summaries” need to be introduced. Then again, newspapers haven’t been any more immune from the “infotainment” pushers that have shaped t.v. news.
                            Good God people.....If it"s not the pop us ads....it's the summaries......if it's not those two then it's the reproduction of the color on the print paper (although even that most of the time is just fine...but we only need one example to prove our point)...oh, and don't forget those annoying on line sentences on the next page you have to read sometimes....perhaps you all should just follow through on your threat...and take your free business elsewhere. The SB folks keep throwing these "fireballs" at your feet but you keep coming back....take a pill and relax. Read the Tizer and pull up moms.com and metro mix and have a nice life. Never seen a place where the underdog is way out gunned at every turn and given so little credit for at least being in the game.

Comment

The people who are complaining the loudest are the ones who love the Star-Bulletin the most. I would love to see the Bulletin start kicking the Advertiser's ass again!

It hurts to see all these little self-inflicted problems mar a good product. Readers are interested in seeing a better website that won't drive them away.

If there are several complaints in this community, you can bet there are a LOT more out there who think the same thing or maybe worse. And for the sake of these goofy features, the Star-Bulletin risks losing a lot of readers.

And the fixes are simple: Quit doing summaries. Don't break stories without significant content on the second page. And stop inserting intrusive pop-up ads.

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
                                Good God people.....If it"s not the pop us ads....it's the summaries......if it's not those two then it's the reproduction of the color on the print paper (although even that most of the time is just fine...but we only need one example to prove our point)...oh, and don't forget those annoying on line sentences on the next page you have to read sometimes....perhaps you all should just follow through on your threat...and take your free business elsewhere. The SB folks keep throwing these "fireballs" at your feet but you keep coming back....take a pill and relax. Read the Tizer and pull up moms.com and metro mix and have a nice life. Never seen a place where the underdog is way out gunned at every turn and given so little credit for at least being in the game.
                                So because the Star Bulletin is the underdog, it should get a free pass from criticism? Constructive or otherwise?
                                We should just be happy its still has a web presence, flaws and all? Who cares what the public and clients think?
                                You know there's been whole threads on the Advertiser too.
                                Is the Star Bulletin your "sacred cow" or something? You're more protective of it than any of the employees.

Comment

Working...
                                X