• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Podcasting!

if anyone is interested, there's an interesting page here:

http://necc.dmit.asu.edu/archives/pr...ion/index.html

June 29, 2005
    NECC Premier Podcast Event: Barnaby Wasson

Arizona State University’s own Barnaby Wasson deciphers the myths of podcating at the completely packed NECC Premier Podcast Event.

not only can you download his presentation in mp3 format, but there's also a link to a pdf file that contains his presentation which goes along with the talk.

i think that's a smart to do and i wish more sites would do stuff like that. it allows those of us who were not there to listen and learn from events that have long since passed.

looks like podcasting may take yet a few more hours from my sleep time!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
      i'm sure there must be guides out there so my question to you is, what sites would you recommend to someone like me who's interested in finding sites that stream good blues music?
      I'm pretty sure there's a blues podcast or two out there. Of course, few of them will be playing any known, signed acts... mostly independent artists that haven't sold their souls to labels and aren't trapped under the thumb of the RIAA, ASCAP, SESAC, etc.

You can try sites like Podcast Alley, iPodder.org, AllPodcasts.com and Digital Podcasts to try and find podcasts by topic, or to search for "blues" as a keyword. Of course, you could also do so within the latest version of iTunes.

Keep in mind, you said "streaming," but podcasting isn't streaming. There are podcasts (like mine) that allow you to stream the show over the web, but the key point of podcasting is the portable element -- downloaded automatically via subscription, and put on your PC or iPod to listen to later.
      incidentally, i emailed someone at hawaii public radio (forgot her name) some years ago and suggested that she convert her stories into mp3s so people could download them for later listening. she never did and in general, i don't know why more places don't do it cuz it's so damn easy to convert audio files into mp3 files and it would be a great resource.
      Hmm. A few HPR talk shows were making their episodes available as MP3s, like Town Square, and I know Noe Tanigawa's "Arts & Culture" segments were also offered this way. Trust me, the problem isn't wanting to do it... it's having the manpower to do the converting and archiving, and the server space to host the files. I think that's why the archives I've just linked may be (or may have already been) discontinued.

But, again, MP3s posted on the web alone don't a podcast make. The key element is the subscription feed and the automated mechanism to get the files where you want them. See the Wikipedia entry for podcasting to learn more.

Comment

hi pzarquon and thanks again for the info. when i mentioned blues, it was just an example and wondered if there was some site that acted like a zagat http://www.zagat.com/ but for the podcasting universe. just curious. i know i can randomly search various sites but since my time is very limited, i'd like it if there were some sites that provided balanced reviews of sites that provide, say, blues music.

in any case, i'll check out the sites you recommended.

you wrote: "...mostly independent artists that haven't sold their souls to labels and aren't trapped under the thumb of the RIAA, ASCAP, SESAC, etc." truer words were never spoken!

yup, i mistyped. i didn't mean streaming.

well i'll be. the person i had a short correspondence with via email was noe. i'm glad to see that she's now providing some of her shows on the web. yup, you're right again. i'm sure issues related to manpower, server space, etc. are key.

thanks again.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

If anyone's downtown with their lunch hour free, be sure to check out the presentation by Todd Cochrane of Geek News Central. He's the author of the first and so far only mass-market book on podcasting, Podcasting: The Do-It-Yourself Guide. At noon, he'll be at the University of Phoenix in Topa Financial Center (a.k.a. the Amfac Center) at 745 Fort Street Mall. The classroom is tucked behind the security desk near where Clark Hatch Fitness is located.
          Podcasting pioneer Todd Cochrane will show you how to get on board the hottest communication trend of our time. Todd will explain how to develop your own show; record a podcast with a PC or Mac that you already own; integrate on-air phone calls, interviews, and music; deal with copyright, music ownership, creative commons, and RIAA issues; integrate advertising; publish and distribute your show; and syndicate it with RSS 2.0 and enclosures. A book-signing will follow the seminar for attendees who would like to purchase a copy of Todd's new book, Podcasting: The Do-It-Yourself Guide.

Comment

I've gone public with my first attempt at podcasting:
            http://literateloser.mitchellkdwyer.net.
            Last edited by scrivener; July 13, 2005, 05:51 PM.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yay! Absolutely the first "book cast" I've ever subscribed to. There are "podiobooks" out there of original material, and some very involved readings of whole novels, but I think your 'excerpt and explain' setup will flow quite nicely... topped off with a bit of "loser news," too!

Great debut. Can't wait for episode two!

Comment

Is podcasting turning listeners away from broadcasting? It looks like radio is fighting back as many of the major broadcasters jump into the podcasting foray. Today it is officially mentioned that ClearChannel is airing some of their station's broadcast content as a podcast, available on station websites and the new website Townpodcast.com run by computer guru and local businessman Peter Kay (Your Computer Minute.com).....

Erika Engle's article on podcasting covers the subject from a local angle with comments from our own board host, Ryan Ozawa.

Hawaii Radio Stations Turn Broadcasters into Podcasters

TWO Hawaii radio stations owned by Texas-based Clear Channel Communications Inc. have begun making on-air shows available on the Web for people to download.

The stations join a growing list of broadcast outlets seeking more ways to get into people's ears. This latest foray involves podcasting, a method of publishing files on the Internet.

The Rick Hamada and Mike Buck shows on KHVH-AM 830, and the Clear Channel local public affairs program "Community Matters," can be downloaded free from the station's Web site and from TownPodcast.com, headed by local businessman Peter Kay.

======

Podcaster Ryan Ozawa, of HawaiiUP.com, is not surprised to see mainstream broadcasters jumping into the arena. "I have no doubt that we'll come to see 'regular' broadcasters dominate podcasting as far as the mainstream production of it goes," he said.

"The people that radio drove away already? The people turning to their iPods or satellite radio? They're not getting them back," Ozawa predicted.
                As many people have noted on other forums, the mainstream media outlets are beginning to crowd out the grassroot podcasters such as Ryan and many others on places such as Apple's iTunes Music Store. The big mainstream podcasters currently have top billing there.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yay! I know glossyp is probably too modest to announce it herself, but the great folks at HawaiiDiner.com have just started their own foodie podcast! Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    HawaiiDiner.com ...podcast...Great stuff.
                    I second this. If that first show is any indication, this is going to be religious listening for me. Very, very well done.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The cutest podcaster I know has his picture on page 40 of this week's MidWeek. And I ain't talking Peter Kay, blech!

@
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        The cutest podcaster I know has his picture on page 40 of this week's MidWeek. And I ain't talking Peter Kay, blech!
                        What do you mean? Scrivener wasn't in that picture!

Interesting presentation. No context at all, just the photo. Good thing folks were holding Todd's "Podcasting" book!

Lots of my coworkers were asking about it today. It always surprises me how many people will say they noticed something in Midweek versus, say, a press mention in one of the dailies. Washington Post? Zzzzz. Free tabloid shopper? "Ho, you somebody, yah?"

Comment

"Ho, you somebody, yah?"

I was WONDERING if you were going to see my msg kiddo!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

...and thank goodness for that. I've got a face made for podcasting!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

While I read through this thread I didn't go to any of the links that were mention but by any chance has anyone did a play in a podcast?

Comment

There are a few podcasts out there that are like radio dramatizations. I haven't come across any that are actual plays, but I've considered doing Shakespeare with my own podcast, if I can ever find enough willing participants!

"What fools these mortals be!"
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X