Starbulletin.com Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbulletin.com Makeover

Well, the Star-Bulletin has taken another stab at redesigning its homepage. Any thoughts?

Since I have always had a longstanding affection to Blaine Fergerstrom's bare-bones, hand-built, text-rich original presentation (except for those #@Q% frames), and a strong "old fashioned" streak in general, I know I'm probably more critical right off the bat. I probably have to stew on it a bit.

But my initial reaction? Not neccessarily an improvement. Yes, it's less cluttered, and the center focus is now clear.

I'm not a fan of the cosmetic changes -- the beveled corners, the rather bitmappy "drop shadow," the prominent addition of orange to the color palette (a tip o' the hat to KITV?).

The main photo is more prominent, which is good. The shift to sans-serif fonts, long the standard for heds and copy for news sites, seems pretty complete (though the missed the "— ADVERTISEMENT —" caption at the very top!). That's fine, but... without using color or underlines on the main page for story hed links, it's less intuitive to know where to click... the "Top Stories" column looks at a glance to be one long story, not several excerpts. I can see not liking underlines, but the workarounds can be a bother. (See how the Advertiser's top story hed is bold serif but not maroon like other heds... so in case visitors don't know to click it, they have to add a [more] to the end of the blurb.)

And why they continue to like dashes (-----) for decoration/accents I'll never understand. For text-only presentation, sure, but, it looks amateurish with all the other changes they made.

But, architecturally, it seems the did take another big step toward phasing out frames. Thank god! Individual articles now stand alone. There aren't redundant index1.html (with frame) and story1.html (no frame) files -- just flat pages for each story. It just might get easier to link to them, finally!

Re: Starbulletin.com Makeover

I like it. much easier to read. Course, next to the advertiser's convoluted overly designed packitallinthereononepage look, the SB's look before was good. Now, it's even easier to read and manage.

Comment

I agree that the grey looks amateurish, but I like the orange, and yes, I find the entire thing much easier to read. I also like the columnist thumbnails in the right sidebar.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but from my view using Windows/Mozilla, the columnist mugshots and the text just to their right overlap a little bit. It looks sloppy.

Comment

I hate underlines completely so no matter what website I use I have them already turned off in my browser preferences.

I agree that the list of story highlights on the right hand side need to at least have the headline titles in bold, if not a different color to indicate a link or at least a small block of bold text at the bottom of each snippet that says READ MORE or CLICK HERE.

Otherwise the thing looks less cluttered right now and I also applaud the demise of frames. But I really never used the FRAMED site to begin with and have usually gone to the all text side (which is thankfully still around). Plus it has always been easy to link to the text only articles when needed.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One thing that the S-B does that I wish the Advertiser would do as well is to list all of their articles on the front page. It annoys me that the Advertiser lists only the first few articles in each section, which means I need to click on each section's page to see the full list of articles there.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Maybe it's just me, but from my view using Windows/Mozilla, the columnist mugshots and the text just to their right overlap a little bit. It looks sloppy.
              I get the same from Windows/Internet Explorer too, Just the first character is on the columnist's picture.

Comment

The thing I dislike most about the Star-Bulletin's website is the damned pop-up advertising screen. So unless I see a headline in a newspaper vending machine I want to have a look at, I go to the Advertiser site.

Comment

I don't see any pop ups.
                  but then i prolly set my safari prefs to:
                  "erase, eradicate destroy all pop-ups"

Comment

Yeah, what's that Zedo pop-up thing anyway? Highly annoying.

Comment

My favorite way of navigating the site just got better.

Now, I don't have to jump to a different page for each section. And it doesn't seem to be affected by the pop-under... yet.

All I do is go here, and I get everything in the paper on one page.

Brilliant. Now I need to go drink a Guinness.

Comment

Mel, shouldn't this thread be moved under "Hawaii Internet Media"? Just a thought.
                        Blaine
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Yep. Since this is concentrated on the StarBulletin.com website, it is now moved.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            Fixed. Looks much better now.

Comment

Working...
                            X