the airport scandal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the airport scandal???

Anyone here know anything about airportscandal.com announced on KHON news tonight...

Just checked out the sight.... seems like something fishy????

Re: the airport scandal???

Well I've always wondered why HNL's traffic has gone up in the last year or two, yet there is no plan for improvements. The Advertiser has had some articles about unhappy Japanese tourists complaining about airport operations and about the facilities. I even found opinions from previous passengers comparing it to a 3rd-world airport. It seems like every airport in the world has a "master plan" for improvements, expansion, etc. except for HNL. Even the website is outdated. Sometimes I'm embarrassed when people come to visit. But anyways, I've always wondered where all the money goes. But I do agree, the website airportscandal.com is a little sketchy and I'm not sure if it's reliable.
    Arturo

Honolulu Advertiser Major Airport Upgrade

Honolulu Advertiser Airport "Tattered Aloha"

Passenger Opinions about HNL

Comment

If I recall, the airport scandal website is published by the guy who runs Pacific Wings airlines. Over the years he's been doing battle with the State Department of Transportation in securing better terminal space at Maui's Kahului Airport for his airline.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ah, makes sense. Those Pacific Wings guys sure like to cause trouble.
        Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          Anyone here know anything about airportscandal.com announced on KHON news tonight...
          Just to clarify, the site and the ads have been around a while. And yes, it's a paid commercial during the news. I'm pretty sure the news folks at KHON -- whoever's left, anyway -- is happy to distance itself from that site. I'd bet several versions were drafted before it got to air, hence the allegations all couched as questions. "Is Rodney Haraga a lying twerp? Is Linda Lingle in the back pocket of evil mainland baddies? Have you stopped beating your wife?"

And yes, not so coincidentally, the ominous "airport scandal" ad is frequently aired right before or after a happy, smiley, "rise above the crowd" Pacific Wings commercial.

Comment

Hey, whatever the scandal and who knows where the heck it starts and
            ends, remember Larry Mehau ran security there and there was that
            "scandal" and then the "potted plant boxes scandal" where someone
            related to a state employee or the contractor got the contract to build these things for a ridiculous astronomical fee? Let's not forget the DFS convenient pardon of how many millions in state back taxes?

(Recent article in H. Advertiser)
            "There's been tremendous progress made in the last year or so," said Sharon Weiner, vice president of DFS Hawai'i, which operates the duty-free concession inside the airport and recently opened a new $4.5 million store inside the terminal that sells brand-name goods, such as Dunhill, Prada, Cartier and Folli Follie.

If DFS paid it's taxes like we all must pay Unlce Sam, there would be plenty of money to renovate and redesign what is by far, the most unattractive and poorly designed airport west of the rockies.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
              Ah, makes sense. Those Pacific Wings guys sure like to cause trouble.
              Arturo
              Yeah, these Pacific Wings guys are definitely on a mission. How else could the television news get their hands on that footage of the Maui airport security guard “attacking” one of their employees?

I know I read somewhere that the security guard on the tape was trying to cite the “budding amateur videographer” for parking his vehicle in an illegal zone. With post-9/11 security as tight as it is, it does seem like the Pacific Wings employee was trying to pick a fight.

But all the public sees is the angry airport guard pushing the guy around and yelling, “No videotape me, brah!”
              Last edited by TuNnL; March 3, 2006, 01:05 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
              X