iamhawaii.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iamhawaii.com

I just registered and am not very impressed, but I'm willing to stick around and see what happens to it. I agree that the "interests" thing is interesting, but mostly useless, and someone needs to hire a copyeditor to fix some dumb errors (like not capitalizing "Hawaii," or using "affiliation to" instead of "affiliation with").

One interesting thing: When you upload a picture for your avatar, you can upload a .psd file. Maybe you can in lots of places, but this is the first place I actually tried it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: iamhawaii.com

Iamhawaii.com is marching on! I got my January e-mail newsletter, which included an announcement of a "Refer-a-Friend" contest. Obviously the only way social networks grow is through referrals, so now you can get credit for them and win a prize.

They also now have a community "Hawaii Stories" link blog (not to be confused with HawaiiStories) where members can post online articles, videos, and other geegaws of interest to Hawaii folks. You can rate stories, comment on them, the usual bloggy stuff... except no RSS feed. Pity, that.

Finally, taking yet another cue from MySpace, you can classify your profile as being a "standard" profile, an "author" profile, and an "artist" profile, with different sets of details listed. You can have several, and link them together.

I noticed, having commented about "pivot" links above, that they've now made your answers to profile questions (i.e. "favorite movie") into links... but they don't separate multiple entries/tags at commas, and they enable the link even for freeform fields like "About Me" -- though I suppose someone might very well use the exact same words to describe themselves, and that I would therefore probably want to be able to find them quickly.

They also added "Groups," which provide for more general interaction, addressing another of my complaints above. And the front page has been beefed up with featured content.

Anyway, it's heartening to see someone's working on building out this thing. Join, be my friend... win me an iPod!

Comment

Working...
      X