This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SB Offline?

You host with NetEnterprise? I thought you had a box right there in the newsroom! While they're generally good people, yours is one of many stories I've heard of clients having to tell the company what's up with their machines (including site defacement) rather than the other way around. Which wouldn't be so bad, if their services were priced accordingly.

I've had periodic timeouts today, as well, but for all I know its something else between me and your site. A couple of minutes later, all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
      Message deleted per request. Please contact admin directly with questions.
      Blaine shoots... he SCORES!

HAH, indeed.

Whatcha gonna say now, Mr. Green?

Originally posted by dick
      Ahhh.. I love the smell of sour grapes in the morning...
      Me too. That's why I still have my subscription to the Advertiser.

Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 10:51 AM. Reason: removed quoted content that was part of removed message

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sorry Blaine....it was a little bit of a cheap shot, but when you take the abuse Gannett and I do on this blog, you have to give it back when you can.

Touche on our load time. We merge a corporate and a local feed and it takes longer than I would like. Corporate says they are working on it.

Jeff
        Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 10:52 AM. Reason: removed quoted content that was part of removed message

Comment

This thread was very enlightening to me...

In all fairness... I really like H.A.'s online content more than SB's.

I don't know why other than visually it's more appealing to the eye.

SB's feels a bit too mainlandish....
          (there I go again...making up words...)

zz -

thanks for your personal e-addy's and I will let you know if I see anything directly instead of through HT... although... I'll still ask around here... just because sometimes it's my office's connection that is preventing me from getting around the net when needed sometimes.

Comment

That's my main pet peeve with the HA site. It's the initial slow loading of the humongous header that, to me, serves as a "We're not awake yet, come back later" sign rather than a "Good morning, come right in!" welcome mat such as I get with the SB. And so the HA site is never the first place that I check for local news.
            Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 03:08 PM. Reason: removed quoted content that was part of removed message

Comment

'S all good, Jeff. I sorta knew that. But I had to say SOMEthing, ya know?

Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                I really like H.A.'s online content more than SB's. I don't know why other than visually it's more appealing to the eye. SB's feels a bit too mainlandish.... (there I go again...making up words...)
                Wow. I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that. I'd wager most visitor's would have the opposite impression... though that would still explain why some prefer the Advertiser's presentation.

Pop-ups at the SB are another often cited reason.

It was good to know that part of the reason for the slow Advertiser page draw is that its pulling remote feeds -- content.gannettonline.com, I presume. (Not for each visitor, though, right? There is some caching?) But the sheer number of elements on the page is a big part of it, too. Like CNN's homepage.

Um. Anyway. Glad StarBulletin.com is humming again.

Comment

Popups...what are they . All my web browsers block popups On top
                  of that I block 98% of all ads for good measure
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

big bux for that scam.
                      hey. i know of a nigerian...

It's only funny if ya got the money to burn on that big joke they are pulling on you all.

You guys are being royally lubed and screwed by the big fat hairy thing.
                      And ya won't even get to enjoy a smoke together afterwards. i say cut off that fraudulent rip off now. and move on to a better net service.
                      Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 10:44 AM. Reason: removed quoted content that was part of removed message

Comment

Yeah I haven't found a solution to those flash pop-under ads. Luckily
                        They haven't proliferated all over the net yet. I use a ad filter in
                        Firefox, a host file in Opera/IE to. Plus Opera 9 beta allows you to block
                        ads by right clicking the page.

edit: 5 more posts until 1,000.. cool eh
                        Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 10:46 AM. Reason: removed quoted content that was part of removed message
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Ditto here. It seems that the pop-up blocker only disables javascript ads. I hate the flash pop-unders too, but so far I haven't seen the spillover type of ads at StarBulletin.com that block content at times at other websites such as Yahoo.com. Those are just as annoying as pop-unders.

Someone should make a flash blocker that you can configure for certain sites.

Not very long ago, the StarBulletin website used to have a Firefox link and graphic located at the bottom of the page. Why has that been removed? I think people should use browsers that enable popup/under ad blocking.
                          Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 10:47 AM. Reason: removed quoted content that was part of removed message
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
                            Touche on our load time. We merge a corporate and a local feed and it takes longer than I would like. Corporate says they are working on it.
                            That's nice to know, JG. Similar to what lurkah said, it's the slow load time that keeps me away from the Advertiser's site, almost completely; it's not about the content (I go to it once a week now, to check certain columnists' pieces, but that's all.)

Comment

Since the StarBulletin.com website has been working since the original poster started this thread on June 14, I have decided at this time, due to other circumstances to close this thread.
                              Last edited by mel; June 17, 2006, 10:58 AM.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X