Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com

We've posted about TalkStink.com before - a local blog focused on local celebrities, local media, and local events from a distinctly satirical and snarky, but sharp and knowledgable standpoint.

"The Stink" had been dormant since late May. Even though the site's had long, unplanned hiatuses before, this latest one has a more direct explanation (and perhaps explains the sparse output since February).

Bev Harbin got mad.

Basically, websites that skewer public figures (and some not-so-public figures) are no stranger to litigation -- or rather, threats of litigation. Some have huge collections of C&D letters. But presumably, some have more resources to deal with them than others. "I am but a practical person," notes the author. "At the end of February 2006 the quality and quantity of posts to all of my websites diminished under the chilling threat of a litigious politician."

The story is being posted in parts, and more is to come.

One important note, though: Bev Harbin isn't taking issue with being mocked on "The Stink." A complaint in which I'd generallly say she just has to suck it up. Instead, she found that her name was registered as domain names (BEVERLYHARBIN.COM and BEVHARBIN.COM) by the operator of "The Stink." Which, given various WIPO and other rulings, probably wasn't the brightest idea.

I do miss "The Stink," though. Hope it can all be worked out.

Re: TalkStink.com

Agreed. I noticed that yesterday when I looked at the site, but I didn't know about the domain registration problem. That indeed was perhaps not the brightest idea. I hope TalkStink will continue, though.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Gotta love the newest input at http://www.talkstink.com/ !

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Fun stuff. Especially the letter from Bev Harbin on Legislature stationery (and TalkStink's reply).

I didn't even know that there had been such great satirical material on BeverlyHarbin.com -- I thought it was just a registered and held domain name (which, as I said, probably was a bad idea). With the added context, it appears that Harbin did, indeed, object primarily to being lampooned (... and simply found laws and legal precedents relating to domain squatters to be the most convenient weapon to point at the author. Which sucks.

In fact, looks like the Harbin for Governor blog was also nuked. Maybe the author, Larry Geller, just tired of the joke, but I gotta wonder now if Harbin started using big words with him, too?

It would've been clear to anyone visiting either site that they was satirical in nature and probably protected political speech (Poinography's analysis), and there were most certainly prominent disclaimers that they were unrelated to, unaffiliated with, and not endorsed by Harbin herself. A public figure, a public servant, with a poor image she herself cultivated, taking issue with someone else calling attention to it? Sheesh. She'd have a pretty lousy case, frankly, if it ever got to a courtroom, but she gambled that these satirists would rather not bother.

I hope the revived comic skewering Harbin's getting on TalkStink.com annoys her just as much as the original site did... and that it, perhaps, gets even more attention now that she's made a fuss about it. if you blog, why not spread the word? And Digg'rs? Go ahead and Digg it! In all seriousness, this is chilling effects material. Thankfully, it's also funny.

As for the whole domain name thing, I think folks would be pretty safe with BeverlyHarbinSucks.com...
        Last edited by pzarquon; June 23, 2006, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Gee... even if I tried to draw a nice picture of her... it would make her look ugly...

I can't even draw! Would she attempt to sue me on the fact that I attempted to draw her...and my artisitic skills suck?

Talkstink that was some good reading i just had for the last 5 minutes.

And her sending off that letter on Government stationary makes me irked that she wasted the half a penny or what ever it costs for a sheet of paper. My tax money at work.... Bev sending off letters on Government stationary

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            Would she attempt to sue me ...
            again with the sue.
            manoa. no make li'dat!
            drop da litigeous mindset.

Comment

TalkStink.com is FUNNY! Too cool!!!

On a serious note.

Bev Harbin has embar"ass"ed my District long enough. Her coocoo ways are way to OFF! We've got so much problems in our community. I have not seen her once. She's too busy using Government Stationary to write stupid kine stuffs over nonsense. She got in her position not by my fellow resident's nor my Vote. Her appointment to office caused a stir and made District 28 a laughing stock.

This election we will all show her the reality in which exists. She is not deserving nor will be re-elected as our State Representative!

I have personally endorsed Mr. Karl Rhoads. He was one of the four the Democratic Party asked Governor Linda Lingle to consider in naming to the vacant seat by Hiraki.

Sincerely,
              Lynn Vasquez
              District 28
              Last edited by 1stwahine; June 24, 2006, 05:19 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Holy Smokes, this is funnier than ever!

Comment

this is my favorite line from that page:
                  "Illiteracy is an important problem in America"

Comment

Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com

At the request of pzarquon, this thread is now renamed "Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com." Carry on.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com

Really, really irked by the vanity and dumbness of one Bev Harbin.

Have some Harbin posts at my website... the collection is here at
                      http://search.blogger.com/?as_q=harb...ot.com&x=0&y=0

and the latest comic is here at toppa page:
                      http://tikipundit.blogspot.com/

Geeeeee, it's pathetic: I think Harbin is going after satirical sites, free speech or not, because she has come to think she can win the next election. Not re-election, of course.

More attention needed on her, please.

Comment

Looks like a similar situation...

Only this time with Lassie.com

"GENEVA - A U.N. agency has ruled that ownership of the lassie.com domain name must be handed to New York-based Classic Media Inc., the company that owns rights to the popular TV series Lassie about an adventurous collie"

And I was thinking the Dog was gonna be Pissed!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060628/.../lassie_domain

Comment

In this morning's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/06/30/news/story09.html

HT reported it first!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Well, truly, TalkStink.com reported it first. Though I happened to catch it a few hours later.

I'm glad this whole brouhaha is getting more exposure. It was a pretty short article, sadly, and didn't go into what Beverly Harbin wrote in her letters. Great stuff like, "Like virtually all of the legislators in an election year, I am contemplating re-election. If I were to run, the site would really be in the way." (emphasis in original) Leaving aside the "re-election" laugher, it makes it clear her motivations are plainly political, versus the whole "I feel violated," identity-theft angle. And then there's the whole "use of a sheriff's deputy to deliver a threatening letter" issue.

But, on the other hand, it's a wire story. Maybe it'll have some legs beyond Hawaii.

Beverly Harbin continues to demonstrate a stunning lack of political, let alone technical, savvy. The fact that she's abusing her office to silence folks who have every right to point this obvious fact out would be entertaining, if it weren't so disturbing.

Comment

My bad! It's in The Honolulu Advertiser too!
                              http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0376/1006/NEWS

On a Serious Note...Please VOTE for Karl Rhoads for Representative, District 28!

Auntie Lynn

btw: I own auntiepupule.com & tutupupule.com Lucky, I got pupule afta...odda wise I'd be in alot of trouble > cybersquatting?
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; June 30, 2006, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X