Honolulu CraigsList...need tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu CraigsList...need tips!

I have very little experience selling on CL, the bulk of it (2 items) just last week.

I was surprised at the number of responses I got to both items. I wanted to play fair so responded to each person in the order of their inquiry...letting person #2 and so on know where they were on the list. This became a bit labor intensive as #1 wasn't available to look at it for a couple of days, then she cancelled her appt. because of work and wanted, instead, to see the item on the week-end (4 days away!). Since I wasn't going to be available on the week-end, she declined, so I contacted #2 who didn't respond! Then #3 who wanted the item but wanted to get back to me the next day. I called everyone else on the list, one person answered and that's who bought the desk.

How do those of you CL savvy sellers handle multiple inquiries? I know I'll be listing more items and want to make everything as time efficient as possible. Then, again, I may not have the same multiple inquiry luck as I did last week!

Re: Honolulu CraigsList...need tips!

First person that calls with asking price gets the item....No questions asked...(however, I've heard of some scary things about craigslist... so becareful about giving your number out... and always meet someone in a public place...)

Many people will say stuff like...oh can you wait till I get paid...etc... and then lose interest...etc... I simply tell them if it hasn't been sold by the time you have the money your welcome to call back to see if it's still available.

Also, it seems like there are a lot of listings on some sections of craigslists in particular the job sections that seem to be a lot of scams....work from homes...etc...

I've gotten a lot of "Free" items from Craigslist...

One key thing though... is once the item is sold... take down the listing so that you don't get people asking about it after it's sold... however, leave it up until you actually have the cash in the hand for the item and it's out your door.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I know I'll be listing more items and want to make everything as time efficient as possible. Then, again, I may not have the same multiple inquiry luck as I did last week!
      What's wrong with giving us HT readers a shot in the selling section?

Comment

perhaps she has something embarrasing to sell, like a glass smoking paraphanalia or blow up doll to sell
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Ok... didn't think about the beauty of being anonymous on craigslist...

However, I highly doubt she has either of those two items!

But Tutusue... good thing you went to the PBS roadshow before you accidentally craigslisted that Aloha shirt worth the big bucks!!!
          http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...0&postcount=24

Comment

I was selling furniture so the option to meet people elsewhere didn't exist! Dunno why I didn't mention it on HT. Brain fut, I guess!

In one ad I noticed the seller set a date and time for viewing an item (furniture)...everyone interested should email for the address then be there at <time> on <date>! First cash offer takes it. While that makes time sense to me the potential for sore losers seems a bit scary.

Oh...I sold the glass smoking paraphanalia and blow up doll on eBay years ago!

Comment

Not directly relevant to Craigslist selling etiquette, but a fun rant that made 'best of craigslist' (always a section I browse when I need a good read): Tips for Selling Your Used Furniture on Craigslist.

A very brief blog post that says a lot of what you probably figured out on your own: Craigslist Etiquette.

Basically, people understand that it's first come, first served, and 'queue management' can be a pain. But even if someone was the first inquiry, if they can't visit or pick up for a few days, they should know (and you should let them know) that someone else will have an opportunity to scoop them. In other words, if they're not prompt in making arrangements or expect you to sit on your hands for a week, they're out of luck.

I most definitely wouldn't set up a single viewing for several interested parties. One, folks just might not show if they figure they're going to get in a bidding war, and yes, having to deal with disappointed folks (who went through differing amounts of hassle to get there) can get messy.

Comment

This is too funny! I wish I'd seen this prior to listing. I would've altered the descriptions dramatically!!!
                A very brief blog post that says a lot of what you probably figured out on your own: Craigslist Etiquette.
                Very helpful!
                Basically, people understand that it's first come, first served, and 'queue management' can be a pain.[...]
                Ok...well it seems my 'strategy' wasn't too far off.

Thanks, PZ.

Comment

having bought and sold a bunch of stuff on craigslist, i'd say that the advice you've received here is all good. if you sell your stuff to the first interested person, you'll save yourself a lot of grief. never again...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Tutusue:
                    I agree Craigslist generates a lot of responses; we're thinking of putting up a bicycle.
                    My exerience with Freecycle has taught me to wait a couple of days before responding. I find that if it goes up on Friday, then I wait until the end of Monday to respond to everyone, as everyone who only logs on at work has seen and inquired. I used to respond to the early birds, but then I learned that these are people repeatedly trolling for the sake of accumulation. One person picked something up and then went through my trash. My last offering was memory for a laptop; I got seven inquiries. One person, whom I've gotten accustomed to hearing from only responds with, "when can I come and pick it up?" and not "Is this item still available?" So when I get responses that pretty much order me to give them my things I don't. About the memory: I held out until the end of Monday and heard from my cardio instructor and it was a real kick to give it to someone I had a connection with.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hey lavagal... why not try here on HT first? At least you kind of know some of us by screen name

What kind of Bicycle? Boys/Girls? age group etc....

I'm looking for a good cheap boys bike that a 3-4 year year old
                      could grow into

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                        [...]But Tutusue... good thing you went to the PBS roadshow before you accidentally craigslisted that Aloha shirt worth the big bucks!!![...]
                        I hear ya!!! However I would've never considered selling the shirt. I was going to frame it for hanging in my 'little grass shack'. My options have changed!

Comment

When I sold my bicycle on CL I had two interested buyers RACING each other to my place. Sold in less than 6 hours! The loser was a good sport, because I made it clear in my listing that "you snooze, you lose."

On the other end of a deal, I bought my motorcycle from CL, and it was pretty much the same thing---I wasn't the first to respond, but I was the first on the scene with $ and I didn't try to lowball.

As for weirdos, creepy people, whatevers: if you get a bad feeling about the way they respond to the ad, then don't do business with them. If your merchandise is any good, you WILL get another offer.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                            [...]I made it clear in my listing that "you snooze, you lose."[...]
                            Good point! I think I'll write a CL 'template' so I don't forget to put in all the appropriate buzz words...including cash only. I guess I should also have a standard email reply, too. Any suggestions, HTers?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Good point! I think I'll write a CL 'template' so I don't forget to put in all the appropriate buzz words...including cash only. I guess I should also have a standard email reply, too. Any suggestions, HTers?
                              1. "Thank you for inquiring about ******* I posted on CL. If your still interested in the item... please give ME your phone number and I will contact you shortly regarding the item...and we can discuss meeting somewhere about making the exchange." (and if you feel the need... block your number before calling them)

2. "Thank you for your response to the item I listed on CL... The item has been taken already."

p.s. you may want to set up a seperate "Yahoo, google...etc. email account" instead of using your one that you use for work.... Then just use that email specifically for ONLY your craigslist items...

Comment

Working...
                              X