ClubHawaii.Net - Pay for Travel Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ClubHawaii.Net - Pay for Travel Info?

This morning's StarBulletin has an article about a new Hawaii travel website called ClubHawaii. The site is already up but slated for official launch next week.

It is a pretty site with some nice pictures, some annoying flash based music and graphics. Luckily on the front page you can skip the flash and get to the content.

The content links ask you to register or login if you are already a member. I think this is where the catch is. There is a membership fee to pay that is not mentioned up front on the free pages of the site in order to view the rest of the content. It's a good thing the StarBulletin article mentions this.

Access to the site costs $24.95 for six months and $9.95 for each six-month renewal.
    Given that there are dozens if not hundreds of other websites out there dishing out free Hawaii travel information, would anyone want to pay for viewing the content on this website? I guess we'll let the market decide and see if ClubHawaii.net is around a year or two from now.

Smart people only need to come here and view the many threads on this board and ask questions about Hawaii to get varied answers, many based on fact or opinion, and all so far for free. Plus our knowledgeable users will direct people to other websites where there is more information.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: ClubHawaii.Net - Pay for Travel Info?

Dang, Mel, you all over it!

Anybody pay the $25 to go look at their web site? Let us know what got, yeah? I sure as H-E-DOUBLE-ELL ain't paying!
    Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      Smart people only need to come here and view the many threads on this board and ask questions about Hawaii to get varied answers, many based on fact or opinion, and all so far for free. Plus our knowledgeable users will direct people to other websites where there is more information.
      But they're "BANKING" on the not "Smart" ones to make $$$!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This makes no sense to me.

Well, I mean, first, ClubHawaii.net. I get the whole "people will pay for good content," and that they're going to do screening to make sure no scammers or morons contribute articles. But why mess with some brand new website rather than the many dozens of others already out there? Some with thriving communities, thousands of contributors, and their own well-honed methods of rating, ranking, and filtering information?

They want 1,000 contributors to get screened then write pieces for free? Am I missing something here? Talented writers can set up their own sites, or blogs, throw up some ads and not only get their names out there and publish good information, but, you know, actually get something for their trouble.

If you're looking for someone to build an "itinerary" for you, there are dozens of great places you can go. And, I mean, if you're willing to pay for the service, your options are even broader.

But more directly, I don't get this write up in the Star-Bulletin at all. It reads like a combination commercial and recruiting pitch. Anyone can start a site with big goals and a mission of recruiting great contributors. Frankly, these days, it seems like everyone has. What makes ClubHawaii.net so compelling? Was it an especially sexy marketing package? Did ClubHawaii.net snare some freelancers familiar to the Bulletin? The piece mentions Dawn Yoshimura, who has contributed to the paper before...

Anyway. I wish Sheila Rausch well. She's got big plans, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X