Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ax falling at Advertiser

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    I believe that is Leslie Wilcox ex-husband.

Aj
    He is also the late Rhonda's ex-hubby.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      He is also the late Rhonda's ex-hubby.
      I met her once when Jim brought her Christmas caroling one year. She made the rest of us media slobs sound good. Beautiful voice and such a nice woman.

Comment

Jim Dooley has kicked our ass several times. A loss for Hawaii's citizens and another reason to stop reading the Advertiser.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Be a hoot if Jim came to work for the SB part time with Ken K while Rick and Rob stayed at the Tiser. Basically both papers would have switched their best investigators. I actually think Jim might thrive better at a paper like the SB that allows him more freedom to pursue stories and write what he actually wanted to write.

Comment

Apparently the information about Dooley leaving is NOT correct:

Here's what as posted on Stephen Tsai's blog:

"The Advertiser offered buyouts to its employees. Among those who
            accepted are Wayne Harada, Lynne Chang and Rod Ohira. That's a lot of
            "institutional knowledge," as they say in our biz. They indeed will
            be missed. Jim Dooley, however, is not leaving. He's still our best
            investigative reporter. I apologize for including him on the original
            list."

Comment

Yeah, I heard from a Tiser person that Dooley is still the enemy. Bring it on, Jimmy!
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Dismantling? Anything for a buck? Get ready for another Kapi`olani high rise?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...localnewsfront

Comment

Here's a possible sign of the future: The Christian Science Monitor will stop printing daily editions and go to an internet-based delivery system.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1029/p25s01-usgn.html

Partly responsible for the shift is a declining circulation over the past 40 years.

Comment

KGMB had this story on the news today:

"Honolulu Advertiser union members tell KGMB9 the newspaper wants to slash salaries as much as 31 percent.
                    "They say union and company negotiators made progress on a number of issues involving work rules and staffing levels when they met this week. However, the company says revenue has fallen to its lowest level in 20 years.
                    "That's causing officials to seek across-the-board pay cuts and another $4.5 million in additional savings. The next round of negotiations is scheduled for the week of December 15."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      "Honolulu Advertiser union members tell KGMB9 the newspaper wants to slash salaries as much as 31 percent.
                      Damn...

Condolences to the staffers at the Advertiser, and everyone else in the newspaper industry.
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Good reporter leaving the fold...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...811290358.html

No indication of whether Kevin was one of those who accepted the Advertiser buyout and was looking for other pastures.

Comment

Whack whack goes the Advertiser ax (again) according to this Breaking News item:

Advertiser announces staff reductions

"The Honolulu Advertiser today announced a third round of staff reductions, with 41 employees accepting voluntary buyouts and another 10 being laid off.
                          "The reductions were company-wide and the result of "continued deterioration in local, national and world economic conditions," said Advertiser Publisher Lee Webber.
                          "The 10 positions that are being eliminated included six full-time and four part-time employees.
                          "As 2008 draws to a close and we head into 2009 with our eye focused firmly on the future, we continue to face many challenges as we navigate through these increasingly difficult economic times," Webber said in an e-mail to his staff. "As I have said before, we have a great team here at the Advertiser. I am confident we will all continue to work together, changing when, where and as we must to ensure our future."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sad.

Anybody know who's departing from the newsroom?

Comment

This morning's Star Bull reports (just to continue with what's current):

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...cut_of_10.html

Comment

Jeeze. I thought this was the SB thread, and that it exploded in an overnight flame war
                                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                                "
                                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                                X