Ax falling at Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ax falling at Advertiser

Alas, the workers at the Advertiser are getting a very small taste of what it was like when Gannett tried to kill the Star-Bulletin. One important difference — the Advertiser will survive, in one form or another.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

How can the Advertiser be losing money when it seems that it has more ads in it than Midweek? I remember about 10 years ago putting an ad in the Classifieds to find a possible tenant for a rental. It was costly then, so you can imagine how expensive it is now.

Comment

If I were to make an uneducated guess, I would say when it comes to certain things in life, it is very easy to crunch the numbers so that they are to one's benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
          If I were to make an uneducated guess, I would say when it comes to certain things in life, it is very easy to crunch the numbers so that they are to one's benefit.
          Is that akin to "cooking the books" or is it closer to simmering a few chapters?

Comment

Ran into Leila Wai tonight. She assured me that she still had her job. It was an interesting exchange. There was a lot of people around us talking so I kind of got cut off while trying to ask her about it. But she finished my question for me with her answer. Guess it must be a popular question these days.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

There's profits, and then there's Gannett profits. You see, when Gannett is used to projecting and earning $10 zillion, and they instead make profits of $9 zillion, Gannett claims it's losing $1 zillion.

The Honolulu Advertiser is an extremely profitable operation.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                It was costly then, so you can imagine how expensive it is now.
                It's nice to see Craigslist doing to the Advertiser what the Advertiser used to do to us "customers"...
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

If the bridge of the Gannett Death Star want to increase profits by dropping bodies, they should start with the non-union managers and editors at The Advertiser. There are too many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                    I have shares in a newspaper publishing company that was worth $36/share. Today it is $3.60/share. oh well....time to buy?
                    Oh yeah, because newspapers are comin' back BIG TIME - not.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
                      If the bridge of the Gannett Death Star want to increase profits by dropping bodies, they should start with the non-union managers and editors at The Advertiser. There are too many of them.
                      Unfortunately, I'm feeling that this is the lay-off trend that is starting with print will spill into radio then TV within the next 6 months.
                      Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Ran into Leila Wai tonight. She assured me that she still had her job. It was an interesting exchange. There was a lot of people around us talking so I kind of got cut off while trying to ask her about it. But she finished my question for me with her answer. Guess it must be a popular question these days.

Why would you use a happy smiley for such a sad and terrible topic?

Surely you aren't happy people are losing their jobs and that everyone wants to know who got fired and who didn't?

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          There's profits, and then there's Gannett profits. You see, when Gannett is used to projecting and earning $10 zillion, and they instead make profits of $9 zillion, Gannett claims it's losing $1 zillion.

The Honolulu Advertiser is an extremely profitable operation.
                          "Ruthless" is the word that comes to mind.

Comment

I feel extremely bad for anyone losing their job, but when a company's stock loses 67% of its value and it's rating is about to be devalued, across the board cuts are to be expected. "Ruthless" is a great discription for Gannett and many large corporations. Look at GM, Delta Airlines, even Starbucks. They are all laying off employees. When it's not in Hawaii we just see numbers, but these are people with families and bills too. This one just happen to hit us here as well.
                            Now does the Advertisers' job cuts have anything to do with the ongoing labor dispute? Probably, but I can't dismiss corporate mandating it either. Regardless of how profitable Gannett might be, the stockholders, which includes most Gannett employees, expect management to fully execute their fiduciary duties (in good times as well as bad times). Mainly keep the stock worth the money they paid for it and keep profits flowing.
                            The Advertiser might be one of the few Gannett newspapers that are extremely profitable but in the world of big business that's just one line on the ledger. It's the profitability of the entire corporation that matters.
                            Please believe when I say I'm not an apologist for Gannett, but they are in trouble. Much like many large newspaper chains nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                              I feel extremely bad for anyone losing their job, but when a company's stock loses 67% of its value and it's rating is about to be devalued, across the board cuts are to be expected. "Ruthless" is a great discription for Gannett and many large corporations. Look at GM, Delta Airlines, even Starbucks. They are all laying off employees. When it's not in Hawaii we just see numbers, but these are people with families and bills too. This one just happen to hit us here as well.
                              Now does the Advertisers' job cuts have anything to do with the ongoing labor dispute? Probably, but I can't dismiss corporate mandating it either. Regardless of how profitable Gannett might be, the stockholders, which includes most Gannett employees, expect management to fully execute their fiduciary duties (in good times as well as bad times). Mainly keep the stock worth the money they paid for it and keep profits flowing.
                              The Advertiser might be one of the few Gannett newspapers that are extremely profitable but in the world of big business that's just one line on the ledger. It's the profitability of the entire corporation that matters.
                              Please believe when I say I'm not an apologist for Gannett, but they are in trouble. Much like many large newspaper chains nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                                Why would you use a happy smiley for such a sad and terrible topic?
                                Surely you aren't happy people are losing their jobs and that everyone wants to know who got fired and who didn't?
                                I didn’t use a happy smiley! Please educate yourself on which smilies represent what emotion.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X