Ax falling at Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ax falling at Advertiser

What emotion does "stick out tongue" represent to you, just out of curiosity? I never thought that deeply about it - but I guess if pushed, I would think "teasing."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      What emotion does "stick out tongue" represent to you, just out of curiosity? I never thought that deeply about it - but I guess if pushed, I would think "teasing."
      It's a different meaning when Gene Simmons sticks out his tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        It's a different meaning when Gene Simmons sticks out his tongue.
        Not so sure he isn't "teasing" as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          What emotion does "stick out tongue" represent to you, just out of curiosity?
          That’s an interesting question. For me, it usually represents hand-wringing, frustration, scowling, and defeat. It’s sort of what would happen if you had + with a little of . IMHO, it’s a complicated emotion (or emoticon in the e-world). It’s one that has evolved beginning in high school, when girlfriends would use “pager code” to communicate since cell phones were far less common then. But yes, waaaaaay, way back in my hanabata days of hopscotch, tetherball, and hide-and seek... before the invention of the Microsoft Windows®... I would have went by the Leo Lakio definition.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I feel for those at the 'Tizer. Back when the 'Bull was having hard times, my head was on the chopping block (last hired -- first fired). But the staffers rallyed, and accepted a pay cut so that I, and others, could keep our jobs. For that, I pledge everything I have to my co-workers at the 'Bull. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be an option at the 'Tizer. Rather than "save money", I think they (management) just want to get rid of people to look good to corporate -- "yeah we're doing our part to pare down expenses."

Sad, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              That’s an interesting question. For me, it usually represents hand-wringing, frustration, scowling, and defeat. It’s sort of what would happen if you had + with a little of. IMHO, it’s a complicated emotion (or emoticon in the e-world). It’s one that has evolved beginning in high school, when girlfriends would use “pager code” to communicate since cell phones were far less common then. But yes, waaaaaay, way back in my hanabata days of hopscotch, tetherball, and hide-and seek... before the invention of the Microsoft Windows®... I would have went by the Leo Lakio definition.
              This makes no sense to me Tunnl.

The to me represents extreme happiness and gratification.

As someone else posted surely you aren't extremely happy and gratified that people are losing their jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                I feel for those at the 'Tizer. Back when the 'Bull was having hard times, my head was on the chopping block (last hired -- first fired). But the staffers rallyed, and accepted a pay cut so that I, and others, could keep our jobs. For that, I pledge everything I have to my co-workers at the 'Bull. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be an option at the 'Tizer. Rather than "save money", I think they (management) just want to get rid of people to look good to corporate -- "yeah we're doing our part to pare down expenses."

Sad, indeed.
                Thanks for bringing this thread back to its intention, Dick.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                  This makes no sense to me Tunnl.
                  I think TuNnL was giving his own personal interpretation of the graphic, not realizing that Leo Lakio had given a conventional name for it. Hey, did you know there are three Unicode emoticons (as I just discovered when I looked up "stick out tongue")? They're U+2639(☹), U+263A(☺), U+263B(☻). (They look okay as I edit this, but I don't know whether they'll pass through to the posting.)
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                    The to me represents extreme happiness and gratification.
                    And I already have said I disagree with this interpretation. I could get 50 General X’rs in the same room who agree with me. Please stop derailing this thread.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

A misunderstanding of emoticons is more than likely what will launch WW3.

And now ... back to the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                        I feel for those at the 'Tizer. Back when the 'Bull was having hard times, my head was on the chopping block (last hired -- first fired). But the staffers rallyed, and accepted a pay cut so that I, and others, could keep our jobs. .
                        The Star-Bulletin seemed to have a better sense of "family" than the Advertiser. The atmosphere at both newsrooms were very obvious from the moment one sets foot in either one. Advertiser people could walk into the Bulletin's newsroom and talk story almost anytime. You couldn't do the opposite at all. At least that's what I was told by those who knew it over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          The Star-Bulletin seemed to have a better sense of "family" than the Advertiser.
                          I'd be curious to know (since we have a handful of long-term S-B staffers visiting HT) in what ways the atmosphere changed there with the change in ownership a few years back. Better in some ways, worse in others? Only what you feel comfortable saying, of course.

Comment

You mean, once we got out of the Advertiser building, where 300-pound security guards hired by Gannett leaned over us while we worked? I'd say, less intimidating.
                            Last edited by buzz1941; July 22, 2008, 12:45 PM.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

LMAO. Looks like bruddah was doing an especially good a job guarding the newsroom snack area.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Big guards. Because God forbid the Honolulu Star-Bulletin might want to take some of the photos it should rightly own back from Gannett.

Comment

Working...
                                X