Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ax falling at Advertiser

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
    Big guards. Because God forbid the Honolulu Star-Bulletin might want to take some of the photos it should rightly own back from Gannett.
    This might be a little too "inside baseball" for some folks. I'll explain. The two newspapers had a joint library. When the Gannett Advertiser announced its intentions to kill its partner, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Gannett "seized" the physical assets of the Star-Bulletin. This included hundreds of thousands of photographs in the library. Although Gannett has physical "ownership" of the photographic prints, they do not have copyright, and cannot use them -- although they occasionally do. The point was to deny the Star-Bulletin access to its own resources. (They also took pictures off the walls, bolts of fabric with the Star-Bulletin logo, a box of gold watches for 25-year veterans, anything off desks and out of drawers they took a shine to. It was like the Russians in Berlin in '45.)

However, the Gannett Advertiser also denies access to these archival photographs to citizens, private researchers and historians. Which is really too bad, because all that does is bitch-slap the people of Hawaii. If the Gannett Advertiser really had a sense of public spirit, they'd donate the Star-Bulletin pictures to the State Archives or some other public facility where citizens can have access to them.

It shows you how phony and transparent Mike Fisch's highly publicized membership in outfits like Historic Hawaii really was.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Hmm, seems to be quite a bit of animosity towards the Advertiser.
      This is a question purely out of my own ignorance, but is it possible that the majority of the Advertiser employees, including management, are just regular folk that have families and bills to pay, so they simply follow corporate marching orders in order to stay gainfully employed like the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
        LMAO. Looks like bruddah was doing an especially good a job guarding the newsroom snack area.

Yeah, how come he looks so angry?

Did someone eat his secret stash of malassadas or something?

Looks like he couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs w/o coughing up a lung.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
          This is a question purely out of my own ignorance, but is it possible that the majority of the Advertiser employees, including management, are just regular folk that have families and bills to pay, so they simply follow corporate marching orders in order to stay gainfully employed like the rest of us?
          Yes, indeed.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

This is a question purely out of my own ignorance, but is it possible that the majority of the Advertiser employees
            I'm not sure why you're mentioning the rank-n-file Advertiser employees in your rhetorical question, since Buzz's post was focused on the actions of the corporate entity known as the Advertiser (whose actions are directed by its upper management). The animosity isn't directed at the general employees, as your post tries to imply.

If what Buzz says is true, then yeah, that's pretty dirty. Sounds like spouses going through a nasty divorce. All's fair in love and war, though. I'm sure the Advertiser is legally in the "right".

Though I always feel bad for the underdog, I try not to romantasize them too much. Underdogs who become the big dog end up being just as nasty. It's the law of the jungle I suppose. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Of course this isn't a comment on SB. Frankly I know very little about the two competing newspapers.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Don't deliberately mistake the Advertiser staff -- a great bunch of talented, hard-working professionals -- with their corporate overlords in Arlington.

If Gannett had managed to kill the Star-Bulletin, their next target would have been the Advertiser staff, pared down to a skeleton, and then some more.
              Burl Burlingame
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                I'm sure the Advertiser is legally in the "right".
                If Gannett had acted legally, then the Star-Bulletin wouldn't be here today.
                Burl Burlingame
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the rank-n-file Advertiser employees in your rhetorical question, since Buzz's post was focused on the actions of the corporate entity known as the Advertiser (whose actions are directed by its upper management). The animosity isn't directed at the general employees, as your post tries to imply.
                  I said including "management," who are also just employees of the larger corporate entity known as Gannett.
                  Somehow I doubt it was upper management themselves who took down pictures and bolts of fabric. I'm sure they had rank and file employees do it for them. Regardless, they are all "just" employees.

Comment

any word as to what the atmosphere is like at the tiser? sounds obvious but it would be nice to get some first hand accounts. maybe it's just me but there seems to be more SB people who post on HT then from the HA.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                      maybe it's just me but there seems to be more SB people who post on HT then from the HA.
                      There was a lot of discussion on this in the past, with some speculation that Adv employees were "discouraged" from posting to groups like HT about their employer.

At the same time, a couple "corporate" types have posted here in the past, and were shouted down for being "corporate" in their postings, so that can also be "discouraging" in its own fashion.

Comment

I know people there (the Tiser) and the mood inside the bunker is pretty oppressive. That's all I can reveal.

The rank and file employees of the Tiser were segregated from the corporate nastiness, and the "looting" and general meaness was indeed carried out by Gannett management types, who were brought in on a temporary basis just for the event.

Gannett often brings in such guys to swing the ax -- people with no stake in the community -- and then they leave, often out to pasture. Don't expect Lee Webber to set down roots here!

The Gannettoids who posted here in the past weren't so much shouted down as they were transferred to other communities.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          If Gannett had acted legally, then the Star-Bulletin wouldn't be here today.
                          Not sure what you mean by that, Buzz. I tried reading some history on the two newspapers, but I'm still at a loss.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the rank-n-file Advertiser employees in your rhetorical question, since Buzz's post...
                          A bit of an apology to you, Media Guy. Your post appeared right after Buzz's, so I had assumed you were replying to him.

But yeah, most people at a corporation are just following orders, and you can't fault them. They have families to take care of and bills to pay. I even cut upper management some slack, because they have to deal with a lot of challenges most of us peons have the luxury of ignoring.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "

Comment

Not sure what you mean by that, Buzz. I tried reading some history on the two newspapers, but I'm still at a loss.
                            Start here:

http://www.pacifichistory.net/NEWSFILE/NEWSHISTORY.HTML
                            Burl Burlingame
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Interesting read. Thanks for the link, Buzz.
                              "

Comment

May wish to check Ian's entry of this date (October 11) for "the latest" - more departures from the Advertiser anticipated - plus some comments on Black and the Star Bull:

www.ilind.net

Comment

Working...
                                X