Wedding photojournalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding photojournalism

It looks like many former news photographers are getting into wedding photography, bringing their own style called "wedding photojournalism". The basic gist is they avoid directing people or staging photos, which goes against their journalistic training. They even have their own association:

http://www.wpja.com/
    http://www.wedpix.com/

It's interesting to see the tension between old school wedding photographers and this new generation of photography refugees.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Wedding photojournalism

Are photojournalists in the Hawaii market moving toward this field?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      Are photojournalists in the Hawaii market moving toward this field?
      Maybe if they get laid off!

Actually, it could be a lucrative sideline.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Craig Kojima at the Star-Bulletin was doing this. Maybe he might be considering doing it again with all that's going on with newspapers lately.

The journalistic approach makes sense. I've seen too many weddings where the bride and groom get directed for every little thing. It turns into a photo session, rather than a celebration of a great event. And some photographers miss some great moments because they're not trained to recognize spontaneity.

News photographers just go with the flow, know where to be when things happen, and catch it the first time. None of that "look this way and smile" nonsense.

Comment

I worked for a pair of photographers who offered either traditional wedding photography or wedding photojournalism. I didn't get to actually attend events with them, unfortunately, but I did edit all the photos, and I personally prefer the photojournalistic approach over traditional. It really captures the feel of the event more, and people's expressions are genuine because they're not conscious of the camera.

Here's the website of the couple I worked for.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

When I got married, I handed out disposable cameras to every 10th person that signed in and told them to shoot random pictures of the wedding party and of each other. At the end of the reception I gathered all the cameras and had them developed for our wedding album. Candids made our wedding that much more memorable as the shots caught captured real images not staged ones.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
              Craig Kojima at the Star-Bulletin was doing this. Maybe he might be considering doing it again with all that's going on with newspapers lately.
              Yeah, photojournalists have it rough these days. Not only is the economic watering hole drying up, it's getting crowded with thirsty people. PJs have to compete with citizens using camera phones and fellow reporters assigned cameras and told to pull double duty ( the Gannett term: MOJO )

Here's an article Craig might like, talking about photojournalists who are forced to find new work in wedding photography, which has its good and bad points.

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
              I worked for a pair of photographers who offered either traditional wedding photography or wedding photojournalism.
              That's pretty cool, Sophie. Too bad you didn't get to shadow them on the job, but editing their work can be just as informative, as you said.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              When I got married, I handed out disposable cameras to every 10th person that signed in and told them to shoot random pictures of the wedding party and of each other.
              Oh that's a great idea, Craig. Not only do you get multiple perspectives and surprising shots, it's another way for guests to get involved in the wedding.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                When I got married, I handed out disposable cameras to every 10th person that signed in and told them to shoot random pictures of the wedding party and of each other.
                A cousin's wedding back in the 90's had a disposable camera on each table during the reception.

Comment

Working...
                X