• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stwahine
    replied
    Re: Lee Cataluna

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Thanks for the update, Middleman! I noticed her absence but didn't catch any announcement. Though this July 30 column may have been a hint.

Nature, she often finds a way... I wish her well and await her triumphant return!
    I saw Middleman's post yesterday. I didn't know how to word my thoughts...so I just put down my head and said a prayer of thanks and wished her and baby well.

PZ you always know how. Das why you're the Webmasta!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Last century, i was invited to a tv studio to be interviewed for what was to be a series of candidate Q's and A's. Having no prior knowledge of, or the slightest input to the preparation of, any of the questions to be asked of me, i was not in the most comfortable position I could have wished to be in. Lee and her technician kindly allowed me to view the tape, though i had not asked or even thought to do so. Never saw it again, and can't remember a single Q or A, not to say the interview experience as a whole is as forgotten.

Lee is an individual who I have long believed not only comprehends but feels the fundamental contrasts of Hawaii vs. Hawai'i, Molokai vs. Moloka'i, Kauai vs. Kaua'i, Lanai vs. Lana'i, Niihau vs. Ni'ihau, Kahollawe vs. Kaho'olawe. Someone who, local or otherwise, is offended by political and economic leaders' pretentions to righteous authority in Hawai'i while at the same time be inextricably constituted under, bound to the banner "The State of Hawaii", "The County of ,,,,,", of the United States of America,, its central government, its economic hegemony/monetarist scams, its militarist consumerist misadventures and diversions, its being, its increasingly deserving to be, deemed an enemy of Humanity.
    "On the morning of December 29, 1890, the Sioux chief Big Foot and some 350 of his followers camped on the banks of Wounded Knee creek. Surrounding their camp was a force of U.S. troops charged with the responsibility of arresting Big Foot and disarming his warriors. The scene was tense. Trouble had been brewing for months.

"The once proud Sioux found their free-roaming life destroyed, the buffalo gone, themselves confined to reservations dependent on Indian Agents for their existence. ..." www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/knee.htm
    In just three short years US's hunger for more absolute authority over more indigenous peoples and their lands westward of US's (long cleansed-of-indigenous peoples) original colonial conquests was sated by US's conquest of the Hawaii Islands. Is any wonder, so soon after US's massacre of the native peoples at Wounded Knee that few might wonder to what murderous extremes US's military would employ to reach US ends.
    Last edited by waioli kai; September 10, 2006, 09:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Originally posted by Middleman
    Lee is on maternity leave.
    Thanks for the update, Middleman! I noticed her absence but didn't catch any announcement. Though this July 30 column may have been a hint.

Nature, she often finds a way... I wish her well and await her triumphant return!

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    I remember when Iwa hit Kauai, talk about looting. At that time while working for the Gas Company, we tried sending generators and water to those in need on Kauai. YB couldn't ship our stuff so our beloved boss chartered the Navatec (I think it was that one) with the SWATH hull and we shipped out everything we could.

Once on the dock however all the generators were stolen overnight. The next shipment of generators was wrapped in heavy tarp.

My cousin who is a paramedic on Kauai told me his generator was running when the lights went out. Puzzled because he could hear his generator running but his lights and appliances were out. Checking with a flashlight he went out back and found his generator missing and a lawnmower purring along right where his generator should have been.

Sneaky Buggahs

SNEAKY is right. Disasters can bring out the BEST in some people ......... and the WORST in others.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue
    I've often wondered if the situation would've been different...from looting to government involvement...had Iniki hit a prosperous neighborhood on Oahu. The Waianae Coast was completely ignored for one, full week, the media included. It was so heartwarming to watch people who had next to nothing sharing with people who had even less. It was heart-wrenching to watch the daily parade of ambulances, in and out of our building, take away sick residents who were unable to use their medical equipment or find their medications. Seeing the anguished faces of the Katrina victims brought back some vivid memories. The looting, thank heaven, didn't. It just didn't exist. I watched the 'Aloha Spirit' taken to a whole, new level that week.
    I remember when Iwa hit Kauai, talk about looting. At that time while working for the Gas Company, we tried sending generators and water to those in need on Kauai. YB couldn't ship our stuff so our beloved boss chartered the Navatec (I think it was that one) with the SWATH hull and we shipped out everything we could.

Once on the dock however all the generators were stolen overnight. The next shipment of generators was wrapped in heavy tarp.

My cousin who is a paramedic on Kauai told me his generator was running when the lights went out. Puzzled because he could hear his generator running but his lights and appliances were out. Checking with a flashlight he went out back and found his generator missing and a lawnmower purring along right where his generator should have been.

Sneaky Buggahs

Leave a comment:

• Middleman
    replied

Lee is on maternity leave.

Leave a comment:

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
    I wonder how long "soon" means. Too bad Jeffy won't be here to keep us all in the loop.
    I was a little concerned because of what happened to her last year and was hoping that her LOA was not due to health reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Palolo Joe
    replied

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
    I can assure you that Lee will be back soon.
    I wonder how long "soon" means. Too bad Jeffy won't be here to keep us all in the loop.
    Last edited by Palolo Joe; September 8, 2006, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

From August 23:
    Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
    I can assure you that Lee will be back soon.
    No details here, but yes, I hope all is well with her.

Leave a comment:

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied
    Lee Cataluna

I noticed that Lee Cataluna has been on leave from the Advertiser for a while. Anyone know why?

I hope she's okay.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by shaveice
    hi tutusue, just wanted to say that i think you articulated the situation quite well: "...Iniki restored my faith in humanity...but not in our governments."
    I've often wondered if the situation would've been different...from looting to government involvement...had Iniki hit a prosperous neighborhood on Oahu. The Waianae Coast was completely ignored for one, full week, the media included. It was so heartwarming to watch people who had next to nothing sharing with people who had even less. It was heart-wrenching to watch the daily parade of ambulances, in and out of our building, take away sick residents who were unable to use their medical equipment or find their medications. Seeing the anguished faces of the Katrina victims brought back some vivid memories. The looting, thank heaven, didn't. It just didn't exist. I watched the 'Aloha Spirit' taken to a whole, new level that week.

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

hi tutusue, just wanted to say that i think you articulated the situation quite well: "...Iniki restored my faith in humanity...but not in our governments."

Leave a comment:

• sin
    replied
    Re: Lee Cataluna's back!

Originally posted by kimo55
    She is expressing quite a few people's opinions, in words that don't usually come easily to many.
    she is laying it bare in all its ugly clarity, the depressingly vacuous lives we lead wherein physical aquisition is the be all, end all... as if this defines us: "hey when i get depressed, i go shopping!"
    It is the logical sequence of events for those members of the masses that lead an unexamined life.
    and on all levels; we live by rote;
    Hey; they do this on the mainland so, let's overdevelop here. Rail works there, so it'll work here.
    Stripmalls are everywhere so why not here! Cookiecutter cheap housing is needed, cuz we gotta supply the demand, so why not here and now!
    Shopping is what we americans do, and do best!
    I've not seen it, the general overview of the problem/situation, vocalised so well as in her column today.

"laying it bare in all its ugly clarity"

Nice one...your writing skills are nothing to laugh at either it appears...

In any case, I'd heard that Lee requested that people in the newsroom not ask her about what she had gone through when she got back. I don't blame her at all and I wish her the best, but I do hope that one day she chooses to write about what she went through. Not because I have a morbid curiosity but because she IS a good writer and she could capture the experience in a way that most people couldn't. Why you ask? Maybe just so people know how lucky they are, and as a reminder of how quickly life can change.

Maybe one day, not now, not this year or the next. But perhaps one day she will.

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by waioli kai
    Would it help to know where she is coming from? Do you know for sure where you are coming from? Are "we" supposed to know where you are coming from? Okay, will check your 'all posts by'....meanwhile, as do do you say do, go for Lee.
    " ...to advance the argument that Hawaii people are better than New Orleans people, because we didn't loot after Iniki.

Iniki hit Kaua'i. Were you there?
    I'll stay out of the frey 'cept to say that Iniki also hit the Waianae Coast, big time. I *was* there. I live in the building that was the hardest hit on Oahu. I don't recall any looting along that coast or Kauai, for that matter. I vividly remember, however, how everyone in our large (425 unit) condo building banded together to take care of each other when the government...city, state and federal...refused to even take a look at our area's destruction. Other condo buildings in the area collected food and clothing for our displaced residents. As odd as this might sound, Iniki restored my faith in humanity...but not in our governments.

Leave a comment:

• FreaknHaole
    replied

Originally posted by mediababy67
    Like Lee's column would be a better fit in "The Canadian Paper."
    How about The Journal Of Irreproducible Results?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X