• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mediababy67
    replied
    Re: Lee Cataluna

Originally posted by pzarquon
    It's a pity her column has to come from "The Mainland Paper," because that adds a tint to her perspectives on Hawaii politics that might not neccessarily be there.
    LOL. "The Mainland Paper." Give it a rest, Jerry Fletcher. Like Lee's column would be a better fit in "The Canadian Paper."

Leave a comment:

• Composite 2992
    replied

The fact is, there was little or no looting after Iniki hit Kauai.

There was a warehouse ripped open and cans of juice were strewn across the sidewalk but none were touched.

The grocery stores opened up as they could to sell what they could to alleviate the shortages and there were few instances of gouging.

Not a single gunshot was heard. People helped their neighbors. The big holdup was local government who couldn't see far ahead enough to let the military come in immediately to provide relief, generators, helicopters and other aid.

The Army had a ship full of equipment that could have been in Kauai 12 hours after the hurricane. But the mayor had them wait for 72 hours before allowing them in. A flight of helicopters landed as soon as the weather would allow but the mayor turned them back, saying they weren't needed. These two are first-hand accounts and not hearsay, mind you.

But nearly all the people of Kauai did what they could with what little they had without falling into a state of disorder. Which is a heck of a lot more than could be said about a lot of the people in New Orleans and the officials in charge of disaster relief -- both local and federal.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Oh, I most definitely pick up on a general theme of frustration, spite, and incredulity, but, that's her thing. And I have to admit, while I'm all for the warm and fuzzy "Aloha Spirit," it's a distinct refreshing pleasure to have a voice in our mainstream media with a little bite to it. It's not overbearing, or relentness, but it's there.

As a contrast to the Star-Bulletin's Charles Memminger? Perfect.

As her recent personal experience was clearly difficult, in fact, I'm also glad that she came back with the same voice.

It's a pity her column has to come from "The Mainland Paper," because that adds a tint to her perspectives on Hawaii politics that might not neccessarily be there.

Leave a comment:

• FreaknHaole
    replied

Originally posted by lorider
    Am I the only person who feels like almost everything she writes is a strange mix of anger, resentment and bitterness?
    I'm just glad there's someone out there speaking for me. Anger, resentment and bitterness rules!

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied
    Re: Lee in the Catskills

OK folks, take the personal swipes to PM or email. Please keep focused to the topic at hand... Lee Cataluna.

Aloha!

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied
    Re: Lee in the Catskills

Originally posted by waioli kai
    What would they know of Lee in the Catskills, why should they care to know?

whoooosh!
    rightoverthehead.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Lee in the Catskills

Originally posted by MadAzza
    It needs a little refinement, but kid, you really oughta take this show on the road. You'd kill 'em in the Catskills!
    What would they know of Lee in the Catskills, why should they care to know?

Leave a comment:

• MadAzza
    replied

MadAzza: "Well, then, you should start thinking about kicking your hangover, Whitey."

So much the "American" colonialist alcohol purveyor you present to all. No wonder your recourse is excedrinne.

It needs a little refinement, but kid, you really oughta take this show on the road. You'd kill 'em in the Catskills!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

MadAzza: "Well, then, you should start thinking about kicking your hangover, Whitey."

So much the "American" colonialist alcohol purveyor you present to all. No wonder your recourse is excedrinne.

Leave a comment:

• MadAzza
    replied

Well, then, you should start thinking about kicking your hangover, Whitey.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Capetown Morning

"Carry on. It is Friday night, after all!"
    Saturday morning in Capetown.

Leave a comment:

• MadAzza
    replied

So that's yes, then?

Whew, that's a relief!

Carry on. It is Friday night, after all!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by MadAzza
    Are you drunk?
    Not on anything to do with you , am sure.

Leave a comment:

• MadAzza
    replied

Would it help to know where she is coming from? Do you know for sure where you are coming from? Are "we" supposed to know where you are coming from? Okay, will check your 'all posts by'....meanwhile, as do do you say do, go for Lee.

Are you drunk?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Would it help to know where she is coming from? Do you know for sure where you are coming from? Are "we" supposed to know where you are coming from? Okay, will check your 'all posts by'....meanwhile, as do do you say do, go for Lee.
    " ...to advance the argument that Hawaii people are better than New Orleans people, because we didn't loot after Iniki.

Iniki hit Kaua'i. Were you there?
    Last edited by waioli kai; September 16, 2005, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X