Cat Toth Back Writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Toth Back Writing

The Star-Bulletin's Burl Burlingame noted earlier this month (May 6 item) that a settlement was reached, and a recent Honolulu Weekly blurb has a little more detail:
    Queenly reporter back to work
    Li Wang, Honolulu Weekly, May 26-June 1, 2004

Catherine E. Toth -- reporter, 49th Cherry Blossom Festival Queen, and Medill J-school grad -- is back to work at the Honolulu Advertiser after being fired in late September 2003 for allegedly lying about being sick.

Sources inside the Advertiser newsroom said she was accused of teaching a class at the University of Hawaii when she was supposed to be out sick with a surfing injury.

Wayne Cahill, administrative officer of the Hawaii Newspaper Guild, said the arbitrator in Toth's labor dispute case against the Advertiser ruled that she did not abuse her sick leave privileges and did not lie about it. "We're pleased that she is returning to work," said Cahill.

Toth -- who was once described in an article by coworker Wanda Adams as "a Tiggerish sort of person who, when she sees a need, tends to bounce right in and fill it" -- has written for the Advertiser's features and sports sections, and is now covering Central O`ahu according to the tag under her latest byline.

During her leave from the Advertiser, Toth's byline was spotted in various local publications from the Star-Bulletin to Honolulu magazine, as well as California-based SG: Surf, Snow, Skate Girl Magazine. Toth did not return the Weekly's phone calls for comment by press time.
    I had cheered when I saw her name in the Bulletin, as she's a great local talent who definitely deserves to be working in the biz. She's back at the Advertiser now, which I guess is good, but with this resolution it seems like someone started a fight they really didn't need to. Either way, I'm glad we'll be seeing her byline again.
    Last edited by pzarquon; June 2, 2004, 08:27 PM.

Re: Cat Toth Back Writing

Originally posted by pzarquon
    She's back at the Advertiser now, which I guess is good, but with this resolution it seems like someone started a fight they really didn't need to. Either way, I'm glad we'll be seeing her byline again.
    Has she had a byline since returning? You know I'd check myself if the Advertiser's search engine could actually find something.

Okay. Okay. I'll save it for The Stink.
    Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
    Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
    WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
    Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

Working...
    X