Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

On page 9 of the Honolulu Weakly dated June 2nd, Weakly editor Lesa Griffith has a brief blurb about Cecilio & Kapono. In it, she writes "From an era that gave us Kalapana, Country Comfort, the Beamer brothers and Olomana, C&K are the last men standing."
    That would be startling news to everyone except Country Comfort, as the others are alive and well and still have thriving careers.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

""From an era that gave us Kalapana, Country Comfort, the Beamer brothers and Olomana, C&K are the last men standing."
    That would be startling news to everyone except Country Comfort, as the others are alive and well and still have thriving careers."

I did wonder how this writer managed to miss the fact that Jerry Santos and Olomana are, as they have been for years, performing weekly in Waikiki.

Comment

>> I did wonder how this writer managed to miss the fact that Jerry Santos and Olomana are, as they have been for years, performing weekly in Waikiki. <<

Exactly. Plus, the Beamer brothers are still constantly busy recording and performing, and Kalapana is too, with exceptional popularity in Japan.
      I have to guess -- or hope -- that what the writer meant to say is that C&K is the only group with all of its original members. If that's what she meant, shame on her for being Editor but having such amateurish writing skills. Ditto to the Copy Editor for not catching it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yes, you guessed right. My bad for not clarifying. I know many of those musicians are alive and kicking. I get chicken skin listening to Jerry Santos at Chai's. While members of all those groups survive and thrive, the original groups no longer exist. C&K still perform as C&K. (RIP Robert, Billy and Mackey.) Of course, the Cazimeros are still together, but I just don't really consider them as being in quite the same slot.

Exactly. Plus, the Beamer brothers are still constantly busy recording and performing, and Kalapana is too, with exceptional popularity in Japan. I have to guess -- or hope -- that what the writer meant to say is that C&K is the only group with all of its original members. If that's what she meant, shame on her for being Editor but having such amateurish writing skills. Ditto to the Copy Editor for not catching it.

Comment

Lesa, you are weak.

Start drinking coffee and maybe you won't be so do things so Weakly.

Comment

Working...
          X