Honolulu Weekly drops Ted Rall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Weekly drops Ted Rall

This week's issue of Honolulu Weekly has dropped Ted Rall in favor of a boring music strip called Stripwax, with no explanation to be found. What gives? Was Rall too much of a political attack dog for the Weekly's tastes?

Re: Honolulu Weekly drops Ted Rall

Odd they didn't make any mention of why they dropped the Rall strip, my favorite item in the Weekly second only to Tom Tomorrow. And I agree, the replacement was a total bore, reminded me of the awful strips in Ka Leo.

Comment

Odd. Ted Rall's comics site is still linked from the Honolulu Weeklywebsite. If they did sever their relationship, you'd think they'd cull him from the web as well.

His comic is probably among the most provocative things the Weekly regularly publishes. Campaigns that specifically complain to advertisers found in publications that feature his work are not uncommon, so I can see how business concerns might easily override politics.

Still, if there was pressure to drop Ted Rall, it would be exactly the sort of thing the Weekly would write about. Heck, when other Ted Rall syndicators drop even one strip for being too out there, they make it a point to say so.

Comment

Geez, everyone is so freakin' serious.

"severed" is quite a strong word. Actually Ted was dropped cause he's a bit like Tom Tomorrow in content. We love Ted. I just bought his latest book.

Stripwax is a four-panel record review. I guess no one who posts here would even care about the Beasties or next week's Motorhead record review. Jeff is a talented comic artist, if you understand today's pop music.

Thanks for the feedback, BTW. No one noticed we dropped Sergio Goes's photos. I guess that's why we dropped him. If you have other strips you like please let us know. We try things and see what happens. Better than the old guard who were afraid of failure.

Ken Dahl has moved to Oregon to organic farm.

Pressure to drop Ted Rall. Gimme a break.

Comment

So Goes' photo thing was "dropped?" He's not just on vacation, or something? I wonder why? I personally didn't find his stuff particularly gripping, rather, often poorly executed technically and compositionally, but they did depict some things that had potential. A potentially interesting alternative to happy kiddies at the beach (yeah, I'm guilty, but that's a whole 'nother story).

And while the art of the new cartoon was a bit pedestrian, I did enjoy the Beasties content. I'm looking forward to what has to be said about Motorhead.

Comment

Actually Sergio was getting too busy and was not putting forth as much energy as he was when the photo gig first started. It was a mutual separation.

It would be interesting to get a poll of how many people want Ted Rall back. I personally hate Rob Brezny's astrology column. But then again I hate astrology.

Does anyone like Too Much Coffee Man? www.toomuchcoffeeman.com

Comment

"It would be interesting to get a poll of how many people want Ted Rall back. I personally hate Rob Brezny's astrology column. But then again I hate astrology."

I definitely want Rall back!!!

And I think Brezny is quite amusing, better than most of the "Clubbed to Death" columns.

Comment

Working...
              X