Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    But Ian's column (and you really should click on the link and read the whole thing) makes it sound as if the U.S. jets kill people for fun...
    ... that allows people like Ian Lind and the Weakly to publish such incredible crap.
    As expected, today's issue is full of letters complaining about Ian's article, including letters from self-admitted "liberals." Not surprisingly, not a single letter of support for his position.
    The obvious question is... is Ian Lind getting senile?
    Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    The article from the HW was unusually virulent though - the closing sentence was bizarre in that he states the pilots of the jets are performing their missions in anger - sad to know that is what he believes.
    No such thing as bad publicity, and it appears to be working just fine...
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Oh, Rick. You know full well that Ian hasn't gone senile. You on the other hand with your knack for jumping to erroneous conclusions...well, that's up for debate. After all, for a guy who can't decide if he reads the Weekly you know like whenever he happens to come across it or if he reads it every single week and can tell you that which classified ads ran in which issue, you have little room to talk. As for Kawehi, dude, she's been Senior Editor for well over two years know.

Geez o Petes dude, keep the faux outrage to a minimum.

Brer Haire

Comment

Two comments about last week's issue.
        First, there was a "Q & A" interview with John Cruz, written by someone named Peter Serafin. I was surprised to read this opening sentence:
        The local singer and songwriter returned last year from a 12-year stay on the mainland
        Uh... WHAT?!? John's been living here on O`ahu that whole time. Sure, he's taken some trips, but.

Secondly, I noticed a new section called "City Wise," a mish-mash collection of various Honolulu odds and ends. Very nice. I like it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Looks like a new editor for the Weekly.
          According to Ian Lind's blog from December 17:
          Honolulu Weekly is finally getting a new editor.
          Mindy Pennebacker, an accomplished environmental journalist and editor, confirmed that she will take over major editorial responsibilities after the first of the year, although she won’t be relocating to Honolulu until sometime later. Various friends of the Weekly will assist with the editing until Mindy makes it to our shores.
          Pennebacker is a 1970 Punahou graduate and is coming home again. In light of her extremely impressive resume, it appears Honolulu Weekly will have a real pro at the helm.
          That’s good news for those of us who have been writing for the Weekly, and for readers as well.
          Very very interesting! And what Ian didn't mention is that Mindy is an attorney, licensed in the state of California!!!
          I was thinking that she was taking one helluva pay cut to work at the Weekly. However, her resume doesn't show that she ever actually worked as an attorney. Interesting.
          And as a side note, look below (or click on the link above) to see her 1970 Punahou photo, and tell me if you don't think she looks exactly like Marcia Brady from "The Brady Bunch"!
          Good luck, Mindy! We wish you well in the new job!
          Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            And what Ian didn't mention is that Mindy is an attorney, licensed in the state of California!!!
            I was thinking that she was taking one helluva pay cut to work at the Weekly. However, her resume doesn't show that she ever actually worked as an attorney. Interesting.
            It might help to know that passing the bar in a state allows you to practice law in that jurisdiction - but it doesn't mean that you are an attorney. Just having a law degree or being licensed by a state bar association doesn't make you one either.

The AF has her J.D., passed the bar in Washington and Hawai`i, and was a member of both states' bar associations, but she chose not to practice, so she's not considered an attorney. So it's possible that Mindy has chosen not to work as an attorney, and therefore isn't one (meaning that Ian may not have mentioned it because she ain't one.)

Does that help to clarify?

Comment

Her resume does say that she has worked for the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Trust for Public Land. I don't know much about the TPL, but the NRDC is all about lobbying Congress to pass new laws on environmental issues. Sounds like a pretty lawyerly thing to do, even if her title there was associate director of communications.

Comment

Wow. You can look up class photos that far back online, these were all scanned in or something awhile back?

Aj

Comment

I'm guessing LikaNui has access to the Punahou alumni database.

Here's a more current picture of Mindy.

Source: http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/111/faves

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                    I'm guessing LikaNui has access to the Punahou alumni database.
                    Nope. The link was in Ian Lind's blog on Monday, and I copied the link into my quote of him earlier today. Apparently anyone can access that database.

Here's a more current picture of Mindy.
                    What a difference 37 years makes! She sure doesn't look like Marcia Brady any more.
                    But then, neither does Marcia Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      It might help to know that passing the bar in a state allows you to practice law in that jurisdiction - but it doesn't mean that you are an attorney. Just having a law degree or being licensed by a state bar association doesn't make you one either.

The AF has her J.D., passed the bar in Washington and Hawai`i, and was a member of both states' bar associations, but she chose not to practice, so she's not considered an attorney. So it's possible that Mindy has chosen not to work as an attorney, and therefore isn't one (meaning that Ian may not have mentioned it because she ain't one.)

Does that help to clarify?

Actually, if you have your JD but don't take or pass the bar, you aren't an attorney. If you pass the bar but choose not to practice law you're still an attorney, just a "non-practicing attorney."

Many of us have chosen that status for various reasons. Also, you can still lobby even if your law license is inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                        Actually, if you have your JD but don't take or pass the bar, you aren't an attorney. If you pass the bar but choose not to practice law you're still an attorney, just a "non-practicing attorney."
                        More accurately, if you don't take or pass the bar, you are not entitled to practice law. Also, if you pass the bar, but never take or file the "Oath of Attorney," you are not an attorney, correct?

Comment

Yet another staff change that flew under everyones radar, as posted in Ian Lind's blog this morning:
                          Editor Kawehi Haug was pau at Honolulu Weekly at the end of last week, and has accepted a position at the Honolulu Advertiser. Congratulations and good luck on the new job!

Comment

Interesting comments in Ian Lind's blog this morning:
                            Speaking of the Weekly, the newspaper’s web site melted down months ago and has still not been fixed. Most items displayed have not been updated in months. It’s list of “recent cover stories” hit the wall in mid-March and hasn’t moved since. I don’t have any insider information, but the failure to get this done has me worried about the Weekly’s current finances.
                            What’s even worse, from a writer’s perspective, those cover stories featured on the web site are reprinted online without bylines or attribution, leaving contributing writers out in the cold. It’s not like Weekly contributors are getting lavishly paid for their contributions, so stripping off bylines, even if in error, is really inexcusable.
                            Hmmmm...

Comment

Apparently the Weekly's infamous "revolving door" is still spinning, according to the lead item from Ian Lind's blog today:

Another six months, another new editor. I’ve heard a second-hand report that’s the story, again, for Honolulu Weekly. I’ve got an e-mail out to a former Hawaii resident rumored to be coming back to take the job. It was just six months ago that I wrote almost the same thing about the hiring of Mindy Pennebacker. I’ve been writing every week since and hadn’t gotten to meet Mindy. I’m having trouble keeping up.

Comment

From Ian Lind's blog this morning:

“Welcome back” to Ragnar Carlson, who takes over this week as editor of Honolulu Weekly. Ragnar was at the Weekly previously before heading off to San Francisco several years ago. A Google search turns up a bunch of things written for the Weekly in 2005. His Friendster profile describes himself as a “Journalizer”, with hobbies and interests listed as “smoking cigarettes, watching the NBA, reading whatever’s at hand.” He contributed earlier this year to Barack Obama’s camaign. Anything more you’ll have to ask him.

Comment

Working...
                                X