So what's up with the Weekly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

It is he - Ragnar used to be (one of many in the last few years) the comm person for the Foundation at the time. And readers know that he is the son of Hono PR guru Doug Carlson, right?

Comment

Interesting item in Ian Lind's blog today:

Layoffs and other troubles at Honolulu Weekly

The daily newspapers aren’t the only ones facing tough times, it seems. Two Honolulu Weekly staffers were laid off last week, including a section editor, and remaining staff face a pay cut, according to several people familiar with the situation.
      Meanwhile, former managing editor and interim editor Travis Quezon is pursuing claims against the Weekly for what he says are wages due but never paid. Quezon says a promised boost in pay during the period he served as interim editor and worked long hours to keep the Weekly in print was never delivered. Instead, he was later fired and given less than 15 minutes to clear out his desk.
      I was unable to reach publisher Laurie Carlson yesterday afternoon for comment.
      It isn’t the first time the Weekly has faced criticism. Back in 2001, I noted that the Weekly was paying freelance writers 10 cents a word, the same rate it had paid since its founding a decade before. I’ve lost track of the current Weekly offering, but wouldn’t be surprised if it has remained the same. However, they have increased the lag between publication and when payment is made, and that doesn’t count the additional period between submission and publication. Freelancers now wait almost two months to get paid for their work.
      (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        It is he - Ragnar used to be (one of many in the last few years) the comm person for the Foundation at the time.
        Yeah, the revolving door factor was the reason I brought it up. It is curious that UH Foundation has such a difficult time retaining anyone for very long in that position — unlike the UH System, which had Jim Manke for 13 years until they promoted Gregg.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Meanwhile, former managing editor and interim editor Travis Quezon is pursuing claims against the Weekly for what he says are wages due but never paid. Quezon says a promised boost in pay during the period he served as interim editor and worked long hours to keep the Weekly in print was never delivered. Instead, he was later fired and given less than 15 minutes to clear out his desk.
        Having worked personally with Travis, I can say he has the utmost integrity and judgment and would not be doing this if it wasn’t warranted. Shame on the Carlsons!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          It is curious that UH Foundation has such a difficult time retaining anyone for very long in that position — unlike the UH System, which had Jim Manke for 13 years until they promoted Gregg.
          ...and Jim's a cool guy as well. (Looks quickly from side-to-side to see if he's lurking hereabouts...) His daughter is a friend of mine, too.

Comment

A weekly like the HW is a different creature than a daily newspaper, and Honolulu needs all the outlets it can get. Hope they stay in business. Hope we ALL stay in business!
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I read the weekly because it is entertaining, occasionally relevent, and as left as our other two papers (Advertiser and Star-Buletin) are, they are SOOOO left they are almost Right.
              It's nice to have a difference of opinion, even if it's almost the same.
              LONG LIVE THE HONOLULU WEEKLY!
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Surprised nobody has mentioned the latest involving the Weekly's odd stance regarding former Editor Curt Sanburn's anti-rail piece that was a recent cover story. At first the paper seemed to be against his stance, yet decided to publish the story anyways, prompting Bob Jones and others to write editorials saying are you either for or against rail. Perhaps I'm confused too, and maybe the best route would be to have had back to back headline pieces showcasing two sides of the issue to have it more balanced. Nonetheless, Editor Ragnar Carlson apologized for the confusions it caused which was the right thing to do. I worked for the paper 9 or 10 years ago when Stu Dawrs, Curt, Chad Blair, etc. were all there, it still is a good paper but I don't know something seems to be lost from those salad days, maybe it's just me.

Comment

Hey, my newspaper week includes the Weekly, Sunday Comics and Earthweek - unless something else catches my eye.

I don't agree with everything in the Weekly, but I'm glad they can print it.

K
                  ~ ~

Comment

This is from Ian Lind's blog this morning:

And Honolulu Weekly is losing its managing editor, Adrienne LaFrance, who is resigning effective May 5.

LaFrance, who also serves as secretary of SPJ’s Hawaii chapter and is Sunday news anchor for HPR, spoke at length about newspapers, journalism, and Honolulu Weekly in an Extinct Magazine interview (January 4, 2010).

Her recent Weekly piece, Rail Uncovered, reports on the content of the city’s Final Environmental Impact Statement on the proposed rail project.

Comment

And the revolving door revolves again, according to Erika's column today:

CARLSON LEAVING HONOLULU WEEKLY

Ragnar Carlson has tendered his resignation at the Honolulu Weekly.

He will depart in November. "I'm working with Laurie on the timing," a reference to publisher Laurie Carlson, no relation, who did not return a call.

"I'm staying in Hawaii, I'm staying in journalism," he said, though he declined to spill the beans as to which journalistic entity he would be joining.

The Weekly will begin advertising for his successor with today's issue.

Comment

From Ian's blog today:

Congratulations to Lucy Jokiel, who takes over as editor of Honolulu Weekly next week. She replaces Ragnar Carlson, who held the position since mid-2008.
                        Jokiel is a veteran journalist who most recently served as editor of HMSA’s Island Scene Magazine. She’s also spent time with Hawaii Business and Island Business, according to her bio on the Island Scene web site.
                        Carlson says he’s not ready to discuss his future plans, but confirmed that he will be returning to journalism in Hawaii after some personal travel and down time.

Comment

* bump *

Check out this story in Ian Lind's blog today.
                          According to an e-mail from publisher Laurie Carlson, she has only four days to come up with $20,000 to pay past due bills or the Weekly may have to shut down.

Comment

Has anyone heard more on whether the Weekly is still 'on'?
                            I really dig that paper.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

If the Weekly goes down, it will be sad. They have been the ONE alternative newspaper in Hawaii as long as I can recall, and we will be a lesser community without their input.
                              ~ ~

Comment

I have to disagree with that statement. Five years ago, they were still "alternative", though not as much so as when they started. Over the past few years, with the constant revolving door of editors - they have turned into a pretty mainstream publication. I take them now mainly to soak up the rain at the bus stop.
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X