So what's up with the Weekly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

Honolulu Weekly has reasonable prospects as an online publication, but staying in print is tough. I got the sense a while back that newsweeklies and tabloids like Honolulu Weekly (or Midweek and the like) were actually better bets than dailies, but still... dead tree delivery is on its way out.

I like the suggestion that Honolulu Weekly and Civil Beat could merge... or, realistically, that Civil Beat could just absorb what's left of the Weekly. After all, a lot of the things that are outside Civil Beat's wheelhouse are where the Weekly carved it's niche. The Weekly could basically become Civil Beat's arts, culture, and feature arm.

Comment

PZ - I like that idea!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Honolulu Weekly has reasonable prospects as an online publication, but staying in print is tough. I got the sense a while back that newsweeklies and tabloids like Honolulu Weekly (or Midweek and the like) were actually better bets than dailies, but still... dead tree delivery is on its way out.
        Honolulu Weekly and MidWeek? Other than being free and coming out once a week, there aren't a whole lot of similarities between those two rags. The latter is basically your run-of-the-mill, home-delivered "shopper" newspaper that is heavily driven by supermarket/dept. store spreads, with a respectable number of mainstream articles and columnists sprinkled in. The Weekly, OTOH, is more content-driven. Unlike MidWeek, nobody pick up the Weekly just for the ads. If you pick up a copy (and you do have to go out and get it yourself, no free home delivery!) you get it because you want to read the articles.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        I like the suggestion that Honolulu Weekly and Civil Beat could merge... or, realistically, that Civil Beat could just absorb what's left of the Weekly. After all, a lot of the things that are outside Civil Beat's wheelhouse are where the Weekly carved it's niche. The Weekly could basically become Civil Beat's arts, culture, and feature arm.
        That's a thought. If not a merger, then surely, some of the Weekly's staff might find places for themselves at CB and other publications.

As a printed publication, the Honolulu Weekly, as we've known it for the last 20 years, has likely run its course.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 15, 2011, 09:22 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Maleko, a local radio DJ, posted about this on Google+. He includes an excerpt from an email allegedly sent from the publisher to a business contact back in July asking for help (and rebuffing an anniversary dinner invitation).

He notes the publisher's gripe with the prevalence of social media, and observes:
          Is social media to blame? With the addition of Google+ to an already satisfying network of social media outlets, people are used to instant news and gratification. We get the information as it happens, so why would we wait a week for news? The Weekly is the most 'opinionated' paper in Honolulu, and I often disagree with their writers, but I pick it up from time to time because it does one thing that blurbs and news feeds don't. It made me think, and made me angry or concerned. My social media patterns focus on on bites, and positive stories. I skip the links in my stream that are upsetting. This isn't something I can do with a newspaper, as easily.

Comment

• What's up with the Weekly? Modern discrimination?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            As a printed publication, the Honolulu Weekly, as we've known it for the last 20 years, has likely run its course.
            I politely agree FrankM, and even if ALL the readers contribute (as was requested in this week's edition), it's just a matter of time. I'm going to contribute anyway, because I owe them for the years of freebies.

They were always there with the stories the HA, SB and SA didn't want to print (except for the article on the H-3 magnetic anomaly, and that because I promised 'someone' I'd sit on it; I'm still sitting, currently - it would be a good story for the Weekly).

I read the Weekly and the Sunday issue of the SA (especially Prince Valiant, newsmap, monthly astronomy and the TV section), and the rest is electronic.

It is not easy for us old futs to move into a new era. I still like bound paper books and paper news. But, I'll be dead soon*, and then it's your world to do with as you like.

Save what is worth saving. Perhaps an online Weekly would be OK, but (and this is important) think of who gets excluded when we switch to 'only online' copy. Everyone without regular access to a computer....
            This is the 'new discrimination.'

*(No imminent indicators other than old age and frustration)
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Things are getting so desperate that the publisher has now (yesterday's issue) put a message front and center, begging for donations. You can read the whole thing at this link.
              Desperate indeed.
              And no mention at all about how her original/major financial backers feel about things.
              One person already posted a comment there suggesting that the Weekly go to a monthly publishing schedule until things turn around. Darned good suggestion.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                One person already posted a comment there suggesting that the Weekly go to a monthly publishing schedule until things turn around. Darned good suggestion.
                I disagree. Simply put, a monthly schedule will turn the HW into the very thing that they have criticized other publications of being. They will have become irrelevant.

One thing that seems to be common with alternative media, whether it be the underground hippie newspapers of the 1960s to the bloggers of today,... they are able to find affordable ways to disseminate their message to the audience they want to reach, using whatever technology was appropriate for the times. The audience that will be most receptive to this information tend to lean younger and are more hip to the latest and most up-to-date in technology that is mobile, multimedia, interactive (think reader comments), and instantaneous.

Laurie Carlson is stuck with trying to keep afloat a paradigm that is no longer sustainable and is seen as increasingly passe and irrelevant to the post Baby Boom generation. Rather than begging people to throw good money into a hopeless cause, she needs to get with the times. Heck, is she even aware of sites like the Huffington Post?

A local version of HuffPo,.... a liberal alternative to Hawaii Reporter,.... now THAT is something that has possibilities for the future.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How does Hawaii Reporter pay its bills?
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Anyone notice new editor at the Weekly?

http://honoluluweekly.com/editors-no...s-at-the-helm/

Comment

http://www.kitv.com/money/29237340/detail.html

But, for how long?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        A local version of HuffPo,.... a liberal alternative to Hawaii Reporter,.... now THAT is something that has possibilities for the future.
                        Yeah, there you go. Good idea!
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Lots of folks enjoy the calendar section called The Scene, but always remember to call and confirm anything you want to go to that's listed there.
                          I happened to pick up this week's Weekly at the store today, and notice that Shawn Ishimoto (formerly called B.B. Shawn) played at the Moana Surfrider last night and that he's playing at the Princess Kai`ulani tomorrow night. Only problem is, he's actually playing in California, where he moved about six months ago. But he's been listed in the Weekly every week that I've picked up a copy.
                          I also noticed today that they list Cecilio Rodriguez as playing at Hilton Hawaiian Village tomorrow. Except as far as I know he was ordered to stay in California after his arrest and until his trial.
                          Hard to blame the Weekly, when you see how many listings they have. Maybe they should tell their sources that if they don't update the information at least monthly, they'll quit running them for them.

Comment

Lots of folks enjoy the calendar section called The Scene, but always remember to call and confirm anything you want to go to that's listed there.
                            We know that some of the Weekly staff are lurkers here, so this is for them:
                            A neighbor has almost a dozen family members visiting and they wanted to see Auntie Irmgard's daughter Mihana Souza play, so based on the Weekly's listing from this week they all went to see Mihana at Don Ho's Island Grill last night.
                            Problem is, of course, they arrived only to find that Don Ho's closed a very long time ago.
                            As I said, call and confirm anything you see in the Weekly's calendar section!

Comment

I actually forgot Don Ho's Restaurant closed!

Comment

A neighbor has almost a dozen family members visiting and they wanted to see Auntie Irmgard's daughter Mihana Souza play, so based on the Weekly's listing from this week they all went to see Mihana at Don Ho's Island Grill last night. Problem is, of course, they arrived only to find that Don Ho's closed a very long time ago.
                                Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                                I actually forgot Don Ho's Restaurant closed!
                                Wot, Kalihiboy? You LikaNui's neighbor now?

Comment

Working...
                                X