So what's up with the Weekly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's up with the Weekly?

Just want to know your opinion as to the status and quality of the Weekly. You all knew that the Weekly bought the Big Island's alternative, right? There's money to be made there, indeed. But more importantly, is the Weekly doing its job of providing an alternative view? Just wondering.

Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

The quality of the Weekly? Isn’t that an oxymoron? As for any sort of alternative view, the only thing the Weekly could provide an alternative view of is the backside of a derelict’s bottom. Pure rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Field
      The quality of the Weekly? Isn’t that an oxymoron?
      Why and or how would that be a combination of contradictory or incongruous words?!

there is high quality.
      there is medium quality.
      there is low quality.
      and of course all degrees among those choices.
      so...
      what's yer query?

is the Weekly doing its job of providing an alternative view? Just wondering.
      well, since the weekly does not work for me, they are doing whatever they set out to do, and owe me nothing. So, basically, I haveta say, I am pretty content with whatever job they are doing. They don't owe me anything, but it does get my attention when they pass off obscene material, or offer substandard fare. but then again, that's when i am asked. I ultimately don't care cus as i say, they are not under my employ.
      IF... i think they are not providing an alternate view, and I am unhappy with it, i can damn well print my own gawdayum paper and do it.
      Last edited by kimo55; March 7, 2006, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

Originally posted by Kawika
        Just want to know your opinion as to the status and quality of the Weekly.
        Status: they're looking to move into a new location, since their old building in Chinatown is being torn down. Their ad says they've got about 20 employees and they're looking for less than 2,000 square feet. Gonna jam 'em in like sardines. And the revolving door continues, with several employees leaving and numerous ads for their replacements.
        Quality: rarely changes. New editor Chris Haire hasn't made much of a mark except for angering a lot of other media folks with his insults. For someone who's lived here just a couple of months, he sure jumped right into the fire with all his holier-than-thou writings. And he writes a lot. Makes you wonder how he can spend any time actually, you know... editing.

You know where the word "snafu" comes from, yeah? Situation Normal, All Fu**ed Up.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Here's all you need to know about Chris Haire: penpal
          Last edited by mel; March 10, 2006, 05:08 AM. Reason: possibly libelous link

Comment

Here's all you need to know about Chris Haire: penpal.
            Is this suppose to be funny? Cause it's not!

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by mel; March 10, 2006, 05:09 AM. Reason: possible libelous link in quote removed
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

this is sort of off the subject but...

whatever happened to the Clubbed to Death column? used to be the only thing worth reading in there...

Comment

Here's all you need to know about Chris Haire:
                I removed the link in your quote, since it's so obviously not the same Chris Haire. The one in your link is currently in prison and will be there until the year 2020.
                I'm certainly no fan of the Weakly, but that link was a cheap shot.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  I removed the link in your quote...
                  No, you didn't. It's still there, and in Auntie's reply, too.

Oh, you mean in your reply... yeah. The link was a bad idea.

Blaine
                  Last edited by zztype; March 9, 2006, 01:52 PM.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I have noticed the somewhat vitriolic columns written by this Chris Haire person... whom I've never met (at least I have no recollection of having done so...)... and am not sure why it's so important for this person to rip new assholes. Sure, someone has to "keep tabs" on the mainstream media, and frankly I welcome and encourage it ( I kinda like Ian Lind's http://ilind.net site). But whether the Honolulu Weekly admits it or not, they too are "mainstream."

Huh?

Oh, just because the paper's circulation is smaller and distribution happens once weekly, that means they're "alternative," right?

Alternative to what, I'm not sure. Hmmm... perhaps to generally accepted journalistic standards...

Glass houses and stones come to mind....

The Weekly is becoming a strange parody of itself at this point...

Of course this is just my personal opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                      The link was a bad idea.
                      Yes. The original link and follow-up have been removed.

Folks, remember libelous content or even a link is subject to editing or removal. Thanx.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Chris Haire is a friend of mine and like my Webster's word of the day says, he ain't no fictioneer. God willing, y'all come to appreshate honesty and stop poking fun of him.

Comment

Originally posted by GotChew
                          Chris Haire is a friend of mine
                          Okay, thanks for letting us know that your comments will be, understandably, biased in his favor.
                          And since you're his friend, perhaps you can answer a couple of questions: what papers has he worked for and how long was he at each one and why did he leave each one? Has he ever visited Hawai`i before moving here a few months ago? Has he ever lived here before?

and like my Webster's word of the day says, he ain't no fictioneer.
                          Assuming that "fictioneer" means "liar", was there somewhere in this thread that anyone called him that? I must have missed it, even going back to see.
                          And if nobody did call him that, then why make your comment that he isn't one?

God willing, y'all come to appreshate honesty and stop poking fun of him.
                          Again, I didn't see anyone poking fun of him. You need to realize that he's in a very high-profile position which comes with a lot of scrutiny. Gotta be able to stand the heat in that there kitchen, "y'all"!
                          Last edited by LikaNui; March 10, 2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

hey, man, as long as the checks clear, i love the weekly...i'm more than a little baffled at the anti-weekly rhetoric here at HT...i'm curious as to what the naybobs would do differently, and especially curious about why they aren't doing it (and that is certainly not directed at anyone in particular, as i hold in high esteem the opinions of my fellow denizens here at HT)...would honolulu be a better place without the weekly?
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

C'mon jdub.. there's an opening at the Bulletin for a features writer... checks clear there, too... And it's a union gig...

Hoho!

Like I said, they claim to be a "newspaper" yet take wild editorial stances in pretty much all the "stories" they print. Aside from Bev Keever's stuff (and the occasional Ian Lind thing...), I have yet to see anything of substance in the Weekly. Oh wait, I like Jdub's stuff, too..

but I digress...

Mostly freakout pap...

Differently? Hmmm. Maybe not editorialize most, if not everything?

Anti-Weekly?

I'm just anti-bad-journalism...
                              Last edited by dick; March 11, 2006, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X