Happy Re-Birthday, Star-Bulletin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Re-Birthday, Star-Bulletin!

Today marks five years since the Star-Bulletin marched to their new offices at Restaurant Row. Whether you read it or not, news in this town is better for their being here.

Got today's special insert celebrating the occasion. Looks like they sold a lot of special congratulatory ads, and poured in a lot of photo spreads (the last five years in top-stories pictures) and articles... a whole heap of them by dear Erika Engle.

I love the Star-Bulletin, and generally root for the feistier underdog anyway.

Still, "commemorative editions" are odd creatures, and it was interesting to sense the delicate dance the articles had to perform as they basically acknowledged the Star-Bulletin's smaller circulation, its withdrawal from the Audit Bureau of Circulations ("circulation" vs. "readership," audits vs. surveys), and the challenges faced in attracting advertisers (advertise in both papers, comparison with neighbor island advertising rates, etc.).

Some basic points appeared in nearly every article, like "a two newspaper town is better" (which I agree with), and the unsurprising line, "Fisch did not return repeated phone calls over the period of a week for this story."

I liked Mary Vorsino's piece on the SOS movement, with the quotes from Cayetano and the focus on community support for the paper. It brought back good memories... like my kid and I on A-1!

Re: Happy Re-Birthday, Star-Bulletin!

Happy Re-Birthday Star Bulletin!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

For several years an old online friend of mine used to commemorate the Star Bulletin's online birthday with a cartoon. This was his last one:

Happy Birthday Star Bulletin
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ah yes, Mel. Mahalo for posting about Smokey the Cat. I always looked forward to those. After I left, they stopped putting them online. I always stuck them in the Letters to the Editor section when he sent them in.

Say aloha to Smokey and his person Paul for me!

Ryan, your photo and the story are online here: http://starbulletin.com/1999/10/18/news/story3.html

EXTRA! EXTRA!

I just finished producing and posting the special commemmorative section in the March 15th edition online. http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/15/special

I missed it last night in the midst of all the flood coverage. Got plenny scoldings today for it not being online!
        Last edited by zztype; March 16, 2006, 03:37 AM. Reason: Complete url to special ed
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
          I just finished producing and posting the special commemmorative section in the March 15th edition online. http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/15/special
          was just going thru it last nite. nice pic on cover....

I... woulda used a more archaic font/typestyle for the headline in the mock up...

and i woulda identified, just for the curious' sake, where da keed steh standing ...
          (But then, modern papers don't do that kinda thing anymore.
          they also don't perform what i thot was a commonality or cardinal rule: FIRST paragraph;
          who what when where how.
          and maybe day, date and time, etc...)

Maybe have a new version with the kid standing right there, same place.
          looks like punchbowl st. mauka of King
          of course, Honolulu hale behind him...

oh yea. while i am on a bitchroll;
          flashing and/or animated sections of a web page.
          verrrrryyyy annoying.
          makes me clik off the page and soon, outta the web site totally, if i see more of it.
          Last edited by kimo55; March 16, 2006, 07:12 AM.

Comment

From a guest editorial in S-B, some words you'll never read in the Advertiser:

"We need to ask ourselves: Will not a press owned or controlled by one or two mega corporations be just as bad as a state-run media? Our state and nation need to maintain as many sources of information as possible. The free flow of information is essential to our democracy."

Comment

Also not heard from -- Advertiser staffers whose jobs were saved by the Star-Bulletin. Gannett would have fired something like 50 percent of the staff in a one-newspaper town. Why compete?
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                oh yea. while i am on a bitchroll;
                flashing and/or animated sections of a web page.
                verrrrryyyy annoying.
                makes me clik off the page and soon, outta the web site totally, if i see more of it.
                Yeah... head on over to the Honolulu Advertiser... they don't do that kind of stuff, do they?
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                  Also not heard from -- Advertiser staffers whose jobs were saved by the Star-Bulletin. Gannett would have fired something like 50 percent of the staff in a one-newspaper town. Why compete?

I'm not a staffer, but I know one dearly. And I truly appreciate that we have a 2-newspaper town; and PBN and the Weakly. This is a damn tough state for journalism jobs, we need all we can get!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

And let's not forget the Hawaii Newspaper Guild, the folks who actually saved the paper (and Guild jobs!) so that Black could invest in it.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

The Star-Bulletin marks its other birthday today:

The Star-Bulletin celebrates a milestone birthday
                      Happy birthday to us! The Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Hawaii's oldest continuously published daily newspaper, turns 125 today. The very first Bulletin was a single page, four columns wide, and was published on Feb. 1, 1882. Within a few weeks, the daily newspaper was already up to four pages, with six columns per page, and we have never looked back.
                      Well, never looked back except for birthdays.

Doug White notes the occasion, and links to the Wikipedia entry on the paper. Says he, "Both of the Honolulu dailies frustrate me from time to time, but I am very glad that ours is still a market with two editorial voices publishing every day. If you believe the doom and gloom, neither paper will be around in another 125 years."

Comment

this is terrific. congratulations star bulletin. i always loved the writing and content in that paper better than anything else around here. keep it up, i'm a faithful subscriber and will support however i can.
                        life is ok sometimes

Comment

Working...
                        X