Question to reporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to reporters

I had a most interesting exchange with a gentleman who was really angry about a review of his restaurant (not written by me). My question to the newspaper folks out there is this - are restaurant critics and food writers held to the same standards as reporters? My feeling was it it falls into the realm of opinion but I don't actually know if that's true. Any insights?

Re: Question to reporters

If a restauranter is not interested in getting angry about honest opinions pubicised either in blogs, weeklies, or dailies or on the telly, that person should of course;

Not open their eyes and ears to media

get out of that business.

Not open the doors to the general public, which members of the media coincidentally are counted among.

What are these "same standards as reporters" that you allude to?

also, I always assumed reporters were held to (among the many...) one particular standard which was expected at the beginning of a "report" on news, wherein they would convey to the public:

who
    what
    when
    where
    how.

But all that has gone the way of the dial telephone.

I don't think, as a layperson, the general public wants a restaurant review written as the news is (or should i say, was written).
    They want opinions. They want a report of the person's experience. Editorialising, i believe it is called, is in place here. Not so much in a reporters report of the news.
    Last edited by kimo55; March 20, 2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      If a restauranter is not interested in getting angry about honest opinions pubicised either in blogs, weeklies, or dailies or on the telly, that person should of course;

Not open their eyes and ears to media

get out of that business.

Not open the doors to the general public, which members of the media coincidentally are counted among.

What are these "same standards as reporters" that you allude to?
      Fact checking, verification and accuracy.

It was one weird conversation. I'm still thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
        Fact checking, verification and accuracy.

It was one weird conversation. I'm still thinking about it.
        where would fact and the others enter into it?

What'd da dude bitch about? "I'm not 48, I am 42 dammit! and i didn't open the restaurant in '98, it was 2001!")

i mean da reviewer sez: "Well, the boulliabaise was blase to me and the chipotle portion was cheap. The pea soup made me want to. The Vichisswah was of a low viscosity for me and the tortillas was a tad bit too tough for Tita..."

Restaurant reviewers don't report news, they report a visceral and palatable experience and their emotional state or resultant feelings..." all editorialising.... no?
        ya cain't simply have someone come back and say: "hey waidaminit. You didn't experience that, That is not accurate. ya gotta check yer facts!"

what restaurant was it?
        enquiring minds wanna know...
        Last edited by kimo55; March 20, 2006, 06:03 PM.

Comment

hmmm...sure sound like a disgruntled resturant owner I met. heheheh

...but I neva taste his food, I neva write about him in my Blog, I neva say NUTTIN!

The other Resturants in the Building were Superb! That guy was a Class A+ Whacko!

eND OF sTORY!

AuntiePupule.com
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            hmmm...sure sound like a disgruntled resturant owner I met. heheheh

...but I neva taste his food, I neva write about him in my Blog, I neva say NUTTIN!

The other Resturants in the Building were Superb! That guy was a Class A+ Whacko!

eND OF sTORY!

AuntiePupule.com
            so which restaurant was it? or at least which BUILDING was the restaurant in?

Comment

Originally posted by sin
              so which restaurant was it? or at least which BUILDING was the restaurant in?
              If das the same one - Remington College Building.

btw: When I give my review of a resturant - I tell the TRUTH! Nobody pays me to say anything. I don't expect Free Food, discounts, nuttin. I do it so others will know about the bussiness and it's products.

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; March 20, 2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

could be any of these...
                http://hawaiidiner.com/directory/res...ood=3&island=1

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  Stop It!

btw: Kimo, I thought out of everyone, you would be the one to solve where the Park is where all the replicas of the islands are that can be seen from an arial vew.

Ooopa! Wrong thread!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                    Any insights?
                    http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/19/features/eater.html

Yanni's being a big cry baby! Its an opinion piece to which she is entitled to. Me thinkst that he thinks he's dealing with someone like the 'Agonizer', you know, do alot of saber rattlin' with advertising dollars and get your way.

Heck he might just show up at the Star Bulletin with his lawyer.

He'll be right at home at the other paper!
                    Last edited by Johnny Yen; March 20, 2006, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Wot!?
                      "There's no spanakopita, tabbouleh, or moussaka -- the things a foodie might expect from a Greek restaurant of its size."

hell, even a non-foodie would expect that!

(da hellza foodie?!)

Comment

I guess das not da odda resturant I wuz telling about.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Maybe if he can't stand the heat, he should get out of the kitchen. I just made that up.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                            Maybe if he can't stand the heat, he should get out of the kitchen. I just made that up.

A spoutin' of misinformation you are. nanananananah

Hey, I read Nadine's review and thought it odd that a Greek restaurant wouldn't have the standard street fare. The photo of the shrimp looked good. Yanni's panties are in a wad and he should welcome the opportunity to improve and thrive.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

he should also be happy for the... ANY coverage.
                              and shut his mouf.
                              cuz if da bruddah whine too much, people goin be hesitant to review his place.

as I say many times:
                              as oscar wilde said:

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about...
                              and that is;
                              NOT being talked about."

Comment

Working...
                              X