S-B/Slippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-B/Slippers

I would hope there would be bigger issues, like increasing pay and staff, than Slippergate.

From Ian Lind's site:

"Over at the Star-Bulletin yesterday, editor Frank Bridgewater sent out an email to all staffers banning slippers from the newsroom, immediately and permanently. No more thongs, slippers, flip flops, male or female. Sandals are OK for women, but men must wear shoes. And this at the newspaper that prides itself on its local flair.
    "So far, I'm told there's no clue why this edict came down now. Perhaps theres a board walk-through planned or maybe it's bugged him for years and he finally decided to do something. Or perhaps there's more going on. We'll see."

Re: S-B/Slippers

Sounds lolo to me.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
      I would hope there would be bigger issues, like increasing pay and staff, than Slippergate.

From Ian Lind's site:

"Over at the Star-Bulletin yesterday, editor Frank Bridgewater sent out an email to all staffers banning slippers from the newsroom, immediately and permanently. No more thongs, slippers, flip flops, male or female. Sandals are OK for women, but men must wear shoes. And this at the newspaper that prides itself on its local flair.
      "So far, I'm told there's no clue why this edict came down now. Perhaps theres a board walk-through planned or maybe it's bugged him for years and he finally decided to do something. Or perhaps there's more going on. We'll see."
      No more thongs??? whose gonna check... oh... i see what you mean... slippers are called thongs in the mainland!

Comment

And thongs are called strings, in France.

Comment

Slippers are normally warm and fuzzy, with leather bottoms, and commonly worn, with socks, around the home when it's butt-ass cold outside.

There is really no need for slippers anywhere in Hawaii, except during this last winter, which seemed longer and colder than any I've seen here.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            Slippers are normally warm and fuzzy, with leather bottoms, and commonly worn, with socks, around the home when it's butt-ass cold outside.

There is really no need for slippers anywhere in Hawaii, except during this last winter, which seemed longer and colder than any I've seen here.
            Nah...dose are called houseshoes. Slippers go 'flip-flop', when you walk, and you hang on to em wid your toes...dey usually come in rubber (plastic), but sometimes in tatami mats with velour. Can also be used to threaten children into behaving.

Comment

Mostly they're used to kill giant (flying) roaches.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                Slippers go 'flip-flop', when you walk, and you hang on to em wid your toes...
                Not only that, but you can always tell people who grew up in Hawaii, or at least who grew up wearing "rubba slippas". We have that big space between our big and "index" toes from where the strap post sits. The gap makes the feet almost monkey-like. And most locals could probably pick stuff up with our feet from our advanced toe dexterity.

BTW Tim, I do have thongs that are warm and fuzzy and I wear 'em on my leathery bottom. Wait... what?

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
                  From Ian Lind's site:

...And this at the newspaper that prides itself on its local flair.
                  So what, the newsroom has to allow slippers to be "local?"

I don't even wear slippers. (although I have been known to wander around in geta on occasion... but not in the newsroom...)

I expected more from Ian.

Comment

At least there's no rule yet about having to wear shirts to work.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                      At least there's no rule yet about having to wear shirts to work.
                      And he didn't say *where* we have to wear our shoes. I wore mine on my ears today.

Comment

Did anyone see this article?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                          Did anyone see this article?

I suffer from this malady, plantar fasciitis, or have in the past, and even had to wear "indoor" shoes for my therapy. To this day I wear indoor shoes that provide good support. Right now, they are those open-toed athletic slip-on shoes that have become popular recently. Just the ticket.

I would be surprised to hear that this is why the S-B isn't letting the staff wear slippers anymore. It might just be that in order to get a good insurance rate, they have to require the staff wear something considered more "protective."
                          Last edited by lavagal; May 18, 2006, 08:19 AM.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I think S-B staffers should use this during negotiations.
                            "OK, we gave up slippers, now show us the money."

Comment

Plantar Facitis is mostly caused by inactivity. Try walking more and it will magically go away.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X