Ethnic - In-Language newspapers in Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic - In-Language newspapers in Hawai'i

Hi, Does anyone know of the local Chinese, Japanese or Korean papers printed on the island?

THanks!

Re: Ethnic - In-Language newspapers in Hawai'i

Hanguk Ilbo Hawaii = Korea Times Hawaii.

Do a search in google..there's many.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; May 19, 2006, 10:45 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks. I do have a lot of them - Korea Daily, Korea Times, Korea Herald, Sing Tao, World Journal, and many in Japanese etc.Very few of the Korean and Chinese seem to be local but rather media giants. I am interested in the local yocals...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by totoro
        Thanks. I do have a lot of them - Korea Daily, Korea Times, Korea Herald, Sing Tao, World Journal, and many in Japanese etc.Very few of the Korean and Chinese seem to be local but rather media giants. I am interested in the local yocals...thanks
        If you want the Local Flavors - you got look into the Blogs. It's where you'll find the "TRUE" Stories that don't get printed in the media!

However, I don't know anyone that fits that catagory. Hmmm...you may want to check our sister site @ http://www.hawaiistories.com

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Many years ago, I remember a newspaper that was printed here in Hawaii called The Hawaii Hochi. I have no idea as to what happened to that paper. I think the publisher passed away and it was discontinued. I might be wrong on the publisher but I am sure about the name of the paper. Aloha, BigD

Comment

The Hawaii Hochi is still published six days a week. My mom has subscribed for my whole life.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aloha Scriv, or dare I call you, Sudoku-san?

It's unlikely that all the foreign language papers published here have their own presses ... and I know Hawaii Hochi takes in "outside work," as do the S-B/Midweek, the dreaded Advertiser and other publishers, such as Hagadone.

Depending on how far you want to go with your research, you could contact the above to find out which of the foreign-language papers they print.

The Hawaii Publishers Association Web site might also render some leads:

http://www.hawaiipublishersassociation.com/
              Last edited by Erika Engle; May 20, 2006, 10:14 AM. Reason: Added to my salutation
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                The Hawaii Hochi is still published six days a week. My mom has subscribed for my whole life.
                There was another Japanese newspaper called the Hawaii Times published at their Nuuanu Ave site in Chinatown. I used to deliver that paper when I was a kid in East Honolulu. My route consisted of just 21 papers but it covered Kahala, Waialae Nui valley, Ainakoa Valley, Waialae Nui Ridge, Kaimuki, Kalani Iki, Aina Haina and Niu Valley. My route was called Niu A and it covered over six geographical miles in length from Aina Haina to Kaimuki. It took over 2-hours to deliver those 21 papers and back then (1971) I was paid a whoppin' $21 a month...not bad for an 11-year old and I did it everyday (including Saturdays) on a Schwinn Stingray bicycle until I broke my arm falling off my bicycle during my route when I was 16.
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; May 21, 2006, 09:25 AM.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Hawaii Hochi and Hawaii Herald are published by the same organization. We published some ad and pr recently in their publications. I will continue to scout around but am having a tough time, especially with the Chinese and Vietnamese media. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X