Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

>>>Sad though when many "Bosses/Employers/etc" have less skills ...

>>>in a classroom....then what you can learn.

>>>arguments I had with my professors at the time... I wasn't trying to school them... I was trying to educate them....

>>>It doesn't take a lot to get a degree....

I think we can see the truth to this last statement.

Comment

BOP meeting tonight at 5pm in the Executive dining room in the cafeteria.

The main discussion will probably revolve around the proposal to print off-site. The main issue with the current proposal for off-site printing is that there will be an 18 hour deadtime between when the paper is sent to print and it actually hits the newstands.
      Last edited by Sassmo; November 30, 2006, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sassmo View Post
        The main issue with the current proposal for off-site printing is that there will be an 18 hour deadtime between when the paper is sent to print and it actually hits the newstands.
        Yikes! That’s unacceptable. What legitimate newspaper does business this way? Seems like a no brainer to reject the off-site printing proposal. Did anyone go this meeting to see what is was about?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Yikes! That’s unacceptable. What legitimate newspaper does business this way? Seems like a no brainer to reject the off-site printing proposal. Did anyone go this meeting to see what is was about?
          Or they could do what many college papers have done and are doing and convert to an only "online" version of the paper... Save money and get their information quicker out then if they were to try and print it and then distribute it to every box on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            Or they could do what many college papers have done and are doing and convert to an only "online" version of the paper...
            "Many" college papers? Making up statistics again Manoa?

According to this 2006 college newspaper readership survey, 44 percent of undergraduates read their campus paper's print edition two or more times per week.

Among the same group of undergrads, only 24 percent read their campus paper's online edition two or more times per week.

Also, 33 percent of undergrads responded that they read the print edition at least once a month. The same percentage of undergrads responded that they read the online edition at least once per month.

Printed campus newspapers aren't going to disappear anytime soon. And I think you're full of it when you say that "many" college papers are dropping their print editions.

Comment

I would say that 44% qualifies as MANY

Comment

I would say that 44% qualifies as MANY
                Yes, 44 percent of undergrads read the PRINT EDITION more than twice a week.

As I said in my previous post - when you say that "many" college papers are dropping their print editions, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                  Yes, 44 percent of undergrads read the PRINT EDITION more than twice a week.

As I said in my previous post - when you say that "many" college papers are dropping their print editions, you have no idea what you're talking about.
                  Which means 56% are reading the Online Edition!

Comment

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... you must have slept through statistics class, too.

No. It doesn't. Stop making things up.

Comment

If what you say is true (and I bet you a plate lunch it isn’t), that would mean that 100 percent of undergraduates read their campus newspaper in some form. Okay, click Palolo Joe’s link, find out you are wrong, and pay up.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Can I just say again how embarassed I am that I once had a hand in connecting Damon with anything remotely related to newspapers and the media?

Anyway. As a former editor for both Ka Leo and Ke Kalahea at UHH, I have a lot of thoughts and feelings on the long, sad decline of the Manoa campus daily. I just can't find the words, without descending into a froth-mouthed rant or a sad obituary.

I couldn't believe that Ka Leo fell to four issues a week. Or that deadlines are pushed so far back, there's no chance of covering breaking news. Once upon a time, Ka Leo was exactly the kind of chaotic, vibrant, frequently irreverent and occasionally troubled den of iniquity you'd think a college newspaper would be. There were many overnight crunches in 31-D in my day (complete with smelly cot and food stashes), arguments with the press guys when we wanted to hold off for the final score on an overtime game on lower campus, a few protests and boycotts against us, and a few humiliating meetings with the UH administration. We had great relations with offices and departments at times, we were blacklisted at others. We were nuts. It was crazy. Ka Leo was alive. For better or worse, it was a student operation.

Now it seems the training wheels have been welded on. It's a "classroom," not a real newspaper. No more 3 a.m. brainstorms over a center spread, no chances to make mistakes, or history. The kind of delay an off-campus printing operation would introduce would be death to any newspaper, but I don't know if Ka Leo is a newspaper anymore. More a newsletter. So I think the problems Ka Leo faces are much larger than the on-campus press... though cynic that I am (having tussled with Campus Center management over free speech issues before), I expect killing the press is just another way to hobble a once independent student voice... and perhaps take over some nice central campus real estate at the same time.

Comment

Hey, they had a great story this week about poops in the dorm elevator!

Comment

Originally posted by Sassmo View Post
                            The main issue with the current proposal for off-site printing is that there will be an 18 hour deadtime between when the paper is sent to print and it actually hits the newstands.
                            Any benefit to doing a mixed off-site/on site printing? Perhaps have some sections of the paper printed ahead of time while the others are printed later? I believe this is the way regular papers work.

Comment

I too worked at Ka Leo when it was actually taken seriously on campus. It was a lowly 8 pager, 3 days a week, that increased to 5x weekly at 16-24 pages. For a time, it was Hawaii's 3rd largest daily by circulation, no kidding.

With Beau Press next door, we could literally "hold the presses" for a late-breaking story. The justification for Ka Leo having its own Web off-set (costing at least a couple hundred grand) was that it could be used for university printing and other press jobs. However, as soon as it was installed, the local printers cried 'unfair, state-sponsored competition' and Beau Press severely curtailed its other print jobs.

The UH administration, and the babysitters at the Bureau of Student Activities and Board of Publications have never really supported Ka Leo as a free and independent newspaper. I agree, they strongly pushed the notion of it being a student lab, with stronger direction from advisors. This reduced liability and complaints, and also made the paper far less interesting to read.

Student activities (like the radio station, Ka Leo, student government, Campus Center programs) are all under different student/faculty boards -- 6 or more. The result? Student power is diluted and disorganized across these ineffectual boards, and the student voice is muzzled.

I remember the days when Ka Leo reported the news well, it WAS the news. Remember the Haunani Kay-Trask controversy? Sexual harassment investigations of professors? Disclosing the names of UH president candidates before anyone else?

Those were the days when Ka Leo mattered.

I also heard that the latest editions of the Student Handbook, another BOP publication, have been a disaster and thus not distributed. True?

Comment

News Flash - Hot Off the Press

Well, credit Ka Leo for covering the meeting. Sounds like it was an important one in which the right decision was made to keep the publication a legit paper. Geez, these are tough times for students at UH-Mānoa!

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X