Advertiser's new low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertiser's new low

Just when everyone thought "Hawaii's Newspaper" couldn't get any cheesier.

Stop the presses! It's front page big story news that two school teachers allegedly smoked pakalolo before going to work in the morning.

Smoked it, not sold it. Pakalolo, not heroin or nuclear weapons. Before work, not at work. In the car, not on school property. Arrested, not executed.

But now their pictures are plastered across the front page and their lives are probably real messed up.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...612050344/1001

Oh, and the governor got sworn in again and said some stuff but you'll have to turn some pages to find it.

What is this, the 1954 Mayberry Gazette?

Psst! I heard Principal Skinner left the toilet seat up! Call the Advertiser!

What a joke!

Re: Advertiser's new low

Geee. Let's see I drop my kids at their DOE public school and their teachers are stoned. That's supposed to be OK because they smoked BEFORE school and didn't sell it? Why isn't that news? Do we need them to SELL it for it to be news? Should the Advertiser be worried about the lives of these teachers, or should the teachers have thought about what the consequences could be first? I know my 7 year old comes home from school with consequences on her mind all the time--there will be the teacher to answer to if she doesn't fill out her reading log, complete her homework, or show me her planner so I can sign it.

We all know, Agovgal, that you're a fan of the governor. We all know you get your thong all twisted when she's not idolized by the media in the same way you idolize her. But I am way more interested in these teachers (and who knows how many more out there are partying before they are the primary adult in the day-to-day lives of our school children), and the story about the Kaloko Dam, than I am about the happy talk from the governor.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

what is worthy news, according to you?

pax

Comment

If my kids' teacher is smokin before school, until it's legalized...I want to know. When it is legal...then whateva...it's all good.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Exactly!!!!!!! These teachers showing up to work 'stoned' would be the same as if someone were to go to work drunk....

Comment

The comparison is being made to Lee Anzai and his selling of crystal meth.

Selling crystal meth from a classroom and smoking a doob before class are not the same thing.

Both actions are "wrong," but to the lump the three together is a bad idea.

I think the teachers were just stupid to smoke so close to school. Now they're gonna get hung out to dry.

It's more sad than anything else.

Comment

hmmmnnn....I see it deeper than that.

I am pissed off that these teachers made the choice to mentally check out before their freaking day started. Their students need them to be alert, to be present, to give them their best. If these were a couple of losers dubing out before the morning shift at their IHOP job, I would agree with the Mayberry tirade.

But these were middle school teachers. These are selfish, selfish people.

pax

Comment

My god. What a bunch of emotional, small-minded, knee-jerking grannies.
                Back up. I'm not defending the teachers or their decision to use a drug that remains illegal.
                I'm not even criticizing the decision to report this as news.
                I'm criticizing the sensational and disproportionate treatment of this news by splashing it across the front-page of a major newspaper, as if the teachers were axe-murderers or something.
                Does their poor judgment (assuming they actually did what they're being accused of, which obviously has not been proven yet) really justify such treatment? If you really think so, then you really deserve the crappy newspaper you get, because you're obviously too stupid to realize how shallow it is, and what bumpkins you are.

Comment

My, you're a friendly one, ain'cha?

I hear marijuana use can relieve stress in some people; it's also supposed to be good at opening you up to accepting different perspectives than the one you've been used to (not that I'm recommending it to you, understand...)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    My, you're a friendly one, ain'cha?

I hear marijuana use can relieve stress in some people; it's also supposed to be good at opening you up to accepting different perspectives than the one you've been used to (not that I'm recommending it to you, understand...)
                    I hear that.

The actual "low" here does not lie with the Advertiser, but rather with the unfortunate need for name-calling in this discussion.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by agovgal View Post
                      My god. What a bunch of emotional, small-minded, knee-jerking grannies.
                      Back up. I'm not defending the teachers or their decision to use a drug that remains illegal.
                      I'm not even criticizing the decision to report this as news.
                      I'm criticizing the sensational and disproportionate treatment of this news by splashing it across the front-page of a major newspaper, as if the teachers were axe-murderers or something.
                      Does their poor judgment (assuming they actually did what they're being accused of, which obviously has not been proven yet) really justify such treatment? If you really think so, then you really deserve the crappy newspaper you get, because you're obviously too stupid to realize how shallow it is, and what bumpkins you are.
                      Considering that the first half of your initial post focused on the alleged stoner teachers, you ought to unclench up some understanding that this IS news to the plebes.

Oh well. Instead you sing that old classic "I-failed-to-communicate-clearly-so-I-shall-get-defensive-and-sling-insults" ploy. To quote Dr Phil, "you think that's working for you?"

pax

Comment

So you think the governor should have been plastered across the front page "as if she were an axe-murderer or something?" Just trying to get things clear here.

News, by definition, is something of interest that happens outside the ordinary. Now, the governor's speech is certainly news and an inauguration happens once every four years, but this is the inauguration of a sitting governor whose re-election was a surprise to nobody and whose race was practically uncontested, and if you don't think two high-school teachers being caught smoking weed before a workday IS ALSO front-page news, you're either jaded because you think this kind of thing happens frequently or you just don't think dope-smoking's a big deal.

That's fine. There's always going to be discussion about what a day's biggest story is. Nobody called you names or labeled your reaction as "knee-jerk." If you want to discuss which story is the bigger story, then that's cool; let's do that. If all you want is to rant against the Advertiser or against anyone whose opinion differs from yours, attacking the people rather than their arguments, please say so right up front and we'll kindly leave you to your ranting. I see nothing but respectful responses to your post; your response to the others' posts are simply unkind and disrespectful.

So, do you want to discuss this, or do you want to call names?
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by agovgal View Post
                          Does their poor judgment ... really justify such treatment? If you really think so, then you really deserve the crappy newspaper you get, because you're obviously too stupid to realize how shallow it is, and what bumpkins you are.
                          This isn’t L.A. for crying out loud. We don’t have drive-by shootings every 20 minutes. And like lavagal said, what’s so big about the gov’s RE-inauguration? Same song and dance - not even different players!

Two teachers burning before school really sets a bad example for our keiki. It’s not like they were doing it on their own time. And obviously, they weren’t discrete, if a parent noticed them doing it. Middle school teachers are instructing kids who are at that vulnerable, rebellious age.

If this isn’t front-page newsworthy, then post the inside scoop right here in this thread. Inquiring minds want to know what was more important this morning.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Well of course I'm defensive. My thong's all twisted from idolizing the governor, remember? Besides, I'm too intimidated by the pseudo-intellectualism here. So I'm off to get stoned, relieve some stress and have a meaningful discussion with a retarded cat.

Comment

I heard bail was set at $50... Is this the normal amount?
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X