X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: small newspapers

Originally posted by Middleman View Post
    Well, gee, this was so surprising.
    Somebody asks about small newspapers, and it turns into an SB-Advertiser debate again.
    "Hey, what's the best ice cream in town? I like Rocky Road. Didn't the S-B have a rocky road on the way to becoming a great newspaper? Great newspaper? Doesn't the Advertiser suck?"
    Honestly, I think Doc just wanted a list of quality small newspapers without rehashing the daily newspaper war.
    Methinks you are projecting a bit too much of what you want to see into the discussion; I re-read the thread after your post, but I just don't see any SB vs. Advertiser "war" going on here. Both papers have been mentioned; there's been a debate over the definitions of both of the two words in the thread's title - but no comparative bashing between the two major daily papers here.

Comment

When I was in J-school, the definition of "small" newspaper meant one that was not published on a daily basis, so that would include any community newspapers that published less than daily. In Honolulu, that might mean Midweek, the Sun, and others.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        What makes a newspaper "small" in Hawaii?
        Looks like it's in the eye of the beholder. While circulation does play a part, I'm thinking in terms of physical size and frequency of issues. Or maybe more to the point, what is a "large" paper? I'd say it's a full-featured daily. So by my thinking, if it's not a "large" paper, it must be a "small" one.

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman View Post
          Well, gee, this was so surprising.
          Somebody asks about small newspapers, and it turns into an SB-Advertiser debate again.
          "Hey, what's the best ice cream in town? I like Rocky Road. Didn't the S-B have a rocky road on the way to becoming a great newspaper? Great newspaper? Doesn't the Advertiser suck?"
          Honestly, I think Doc just wanted a list of quality small newspapers without rehashing the daily newspaper war.
          That said, I recommend Pacific Business News.
          Who turned it into a Star-Bulletin/Advertiser debate? Looks to me like you're trolling in this thread.

I agree with GeckoGeek. It appears the idea of what exactly constitutes a "small" newspaper is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

The Advertiser folks aren't showing up any more at Hawaii Publishers Association functions, so likely any paper that's a member is "small" by Gannett standards.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              The Honolulu Star-Bulletin
              Oh man that was a low blow
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Oh man that was a low blow
                Coming from Buzz, however, it was genuinely laugh-inducing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Coming from Buzz, however, it was genuinely laugh-inducing.
                  speaking of Buzz...whatever happened to Madazza?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    speaking of Buzz...whatever happened to Madazza?
                    I'll check ... oh, there she is, over there.

Our staff size is less than that of some restaurants, so, yeah, we're a (relatively) small outfit. We still win more awards than the Advertiser, but that's not a reflection of staff size.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'll check ... oh, there she is, over there.
                      Tell her we said "hey," will ya?

Comment

... but that's not a reflection of staff size.
                        My ex-wife, Plaintiff, said that size does matter.
                        The brazen hussy.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          My ex-wife, Plaintiff, said that size does matter.
                          The brazen hussy.

so the next time you see her tell her to get bigger boobs then

Comment

Getting back to "small" newspapers, here are the ones that I am aware of. Many are specialty papers and target a niche audience:

Honolulu Weekly
                            Hawaii Island Journal
                            Mahagony
                            Hawaii Catholic Herald
                            Hawaii Filipino Chronicle
                            Hamakua Times
                            Ka Wai Ola

I'm almost afraid to include Pacific Business News here because they are part of a larger national chain now. But then again, they are a weekly and tabloid sized, so I guess they are also small.

Where do college newspapers fit into this? Ka Leo anyone?

I think if you go smaller than tabloid size with an even smaller niche audience, the publication will fall into the category of "newsletter"? Then there are many here. And what is a "zine"?

Small papers that are no longer with us:

Downtown Planet

Sunbums (long gone many moons ago)

I would consider the dailies "large" papers as well as MidWeek since it is owned by the same firm that publishes the Star-Bulletin. This I guess would also apply to the neighbor island dailies such as The Maui News and Hawaii Tribune Herald.

Anyone care to add to this list go ahead.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And there's stuff like Ka Nu'Pepa and West Hawaii Today. What about ethnics like Hawaii Hochi?
                              Burl Burlingame
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

And there's stuff like Ka Nu'Pepa and West Hawaii Today. What about ethnics like Hawaii Hochi?
                                And don't forget the right wing extremist newspaper: Hawaii Free Press.

Comment

Working...
                                X