• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeckoGeek
    replied
    Re: small newspapers

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    How about UH Press?
    Good question. I do know that government subsidized "business" have guidelines they need to follow on what they can and can't do. I don't know what UH Press follows.

If UH students are picking up a daily to find out UH news, they're better off with Ka Leo. And vice-versa.
    Frankly, the kids should be reading all three papers.
    Well, at least Ka Leo and one daily.

Yeah, well, reading two dailies - I'll add that to my list of things like changing the smoke detector battery each year, annual refrigerator coil cleaning, bi annual automotive coolant change, etc, etc.

Leave a comment:

• buzz1941
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    it's prohibited for state subsidized entities from competing against private enterprise.
    How about UH Press?

If UH students are picking up a daily to find out UH news, they're better off with Ka Leo. And vice-versa. Frankly, the kids should be reading all three papers.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    Anyone else see the commentary about prostate massage in a recent issue of Ka Leo?
    Is that what they are calling it now?

Leave a comment:

• Palolo Joe
    replied

Does it really matter? If students want to read a real newspaper, they'll pick up one of the dailies.

If they want to see fellow students trying to act like real journalists, they'll pick up a copy of Ka Leo. As PZ has noted, it's more like a newsletter now than a wanna-be newspaper.

Anyone else see the commentary about prostate massage in a recent issue of Ka Leo? Pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Would a ban of distributing free copies of the 2 major dailies be an infringement on their first amendment rights?
    I doubt it. First Amendment rights would apply to the content of the paper, not the means of disseminating it.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Again, why are the commercial dailies being allowed to compete with a non-profit student newspaper at a state-run school?
    Uh, usually it's the other way around - it's prohibited for state subsidized entities from competing against private enterprise. I'm not 100% that would apply to Ka Leo, but if I were a student, I wouldn't be happy about money extorted from me being used to battle private enterprise.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Again, why are the commercial dailies being allowed to compete with a non-profit student newspaper at a state-run school?
    Would a ban of distributing free copies of the 2 major dailies be an infringement on their first amendment rights? I would think the first amendment applies equally to both large commercial newspapers as well as the small publisher.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Thank you for making my point for me. The Honolulu Advertiser and the Honolulu Star-Bulletin are both maliciously affecting Ka Leo’s ability to attract ad revenue ala go! Airlines “outspend them ‘til they go broke” style.Again, why are the commercial dailies being allowed to compete with a non-profit student newspaper at a state-run school?
    Interesting that you think I'm making your point when you're not seeing mine.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Did I ever think we were competing with the dailies as a publication? No. If I lived on campus, I’d read the freebie dailies if they were dumped on my doorstep.
    Thank you for making my point for me. The Honolulu Advertiser and the Honolulu Star-Bulletin are both maliciously affecting Ka Leo’s ability to attract ad revenue ala go! Airlines “outspend them ‘til they go broke” style.
    Long's advetisement? I'm thinking a paper beyond Ka Leo.

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

It depends on what numbers are being quoted. Total subscriptions or total paid subscriptions. There are different numbers for free/other distributed papers. The numbers that drive the rates for advertisers are [B]paid subscriptions.[B] According to ABC bylaws, to be counted as a paid subscription the cost must be at least 20% of the full subscription price.

Here's an example of an ABC report: http://abcas3.accessabc.com/files/95511.pdf

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
    I think 65,000 is tremendous for all the obstacles the Bulletin has had to negotiate around. I remember hearing that within 18 months of David Black buying the Bulletin it would cease to exist.

What's also amazing is the fact that Oahu publications can print two editions of the Bulletin, two editions of MidWeek, various other publications, and still have a very active commercial printing division. That is some press crew!!!
    Does the circulation department count the free papers deliverd in quantity to our public schools? If so I don't think that's a fair representation of circulation numbers.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Ka Leo O Hawai‘i (the student newspaper of UH) is published on a daily basis. Does that mean that these kids are supposed to compete with the big boys?
    According to the advertising rate card, they are published Monday though Thursday. I wouldn't rank it as a daily.

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

I think 65,000 is tremendous for all the obstacles the Bulletin has had to negotiate around. I remember hearing that within 18 months of David Black buying the Bulletin it would cease to exist.

What's also amazing is the fact that Oahu publications can print two editions of the Bulletin, two editions of MidWeek, various other publications, and still have a very active commercial printing division. That is some press crew!!!

Leave a comment:

• buzz1941
    replied

As I recall, the Star-Bulletin dropped out of ABC because Gannett was muscling the organization's board to recognize non-paid circulation, such as the free papers the Advertiser dumps at UH.
    Around 65,000 ain't bad, considering it's supposed to be zero. We were about 35,000 to 40,000 when in partnership with Gannett.
    Our other "problem" is that 65,000 is about the upper limits our press can produce. You don't see piles of unsold Star-Bulletins in the vending machines, because we don't have them to spare.

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin
    Was just validating. The numbers are from a Knight Foundation report on newsroom racial diversity utilizing data from ASNE & ABC. There's not an url for that however. As far as I know, the bulletin still doesn't report to ABC, although in the report it listed complete circulation info for the Bulletin even though they are not listed as a member. Maybe it's like the Nielsen ratings, you still get rated during sweeps even if you don't subscribe http://www.accessabc.com/aboutabc/daily_us.htm#hi

Leave a comment:

Working...
X