Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KORL 650 from July 1969

Thought I'd post a retro radio ad from a local TV Guide from 1969:

"Meet the very interesting musicasters of KORL at Woolworths in Waikiki July 16 through July 23. Oran Spotts, John Farrington, Richard Palmer, Shelden Brenn, Dave Curtis and Miss Coral in the front window with live and direct broadcasts from 10am to 6pm. You might be one of the lucky hundreds to be a prize winner!!"

Aj

Re: KORL 650 from July 1969

This must have been during one of the times they were a top 40 radio station. In the early 70s they switched over to talk with Tom "Dynamite" Dancer doing the morning drive. Anyone ever called Tom to ask him to "blow me up"?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      This must have been during one of the times they were a top 40 radio station. In the early 70s they switched over to talk with Tom "Dynamite" Dancer doing the morning drive. Anyone ever called Tom to ask him to "blow me up"?
      Didn't he set a record for staying on the air for consecutive hours? Do radio hosts have on the air marathons anymore and what is the current record?

Comment

KORL had a nightly review (as opposed to weekly) of the top songs called TNT (top nine tunes) during the '60s.

I also remember Ted Sax doing radio play-by-play of International Roller Games (rival circuit of Roller Derby) from the old Civic Auditorium on South King Street.

Comment

650 in a previous life was KPOA, one of only three or four stations in Honolulu in the 1950s - located on the present `Iolani School campus near the Ala Wai, and home to Moffat and Jacobs (pre-K-POI), Carlos Rivas and recreated mid-day baseball, et al.

Comment

KPOA original Freq was AM 630

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
              KPOA original Freq was AM 630
              Does anybody know if KPOA ever existed on 650...and, if so, WHEN the switch was made from 630? I recently found a KPOA top songs sheet from 1959 (it's in my car - I don't remember the date) and would like to know if it's 630 or 650.

On a side note, I would gladly trade for or buy any kind of 1950s Survey sheet from any other Hawaiian radio station, and my offers would be tremendous. (I collect only one from each station.) Does anybody know about any of these? I heard a rumor 20+ years ago that KULA also had these.

Is it possible that a Hawaiian newspaper ever ran a weekly column in the 1950's which showed the Top 5 or Top 10 on one or more local radio stations?

I seek this stuff very seriously.
              Last edited by frankfrank; October 16, 2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I know in the early 1970s KKUA 690 used to run a weekly chart in the Honolulu Advertiser of their Offical Hawaii Top 20 report. This was a weekly ad in the paper so I would think a posted chart in the 1950s would be the same, although a music writer could have posted one too. Probably best bet to find one is on microfilm at your local library. Look for the Honolulu Advertiser or Honolulu Star-Bulletin in microfilm. They have it at the State Library in Honolulu. If you are out of state then you are probably out of luck.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yes, exactly - I realize I would most likely need to visit Honolulu and spend time on Microfilm seeing if such an item existed in the newspaper. A guy who has some original Star-Bulletin newspapers for sale researched a few for me and no such survey column - in particular hoping to find one where multiple stations reported their Top Tens - was found. I am in Illinois, more than four thousand miles from Honolulu. Researching that will be nearly impossible for me, but I would gladly trade some early KORL surveys (and/or money) to somebody who is willing to accept this mission. I guess this would best be arranged by PM (private message).

If a column existed, it probably would be in THE ADVERTISER, for which I have no knowledge whatsoever. Just as likely, it might have been in something like a local weekly shopping newspaper or radio-TV magazine, if such existed, but libraries never kept those, so research is impossible.

I really hope it is possible to find out when 630 MOVED TO 650. That would be exceptionally important to me. My recently found KPOA survey is from JUNE 1959, and it doesn't specify. Wikipedia is no help. If it's KPOA/650, that would be a major coup and find for me, because I consider KPOA/650 (if this alignment ever existed) as a completely different radio station than when they broadcasted on 630.
                  Last edited by frankfrank; October 22, 2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I remember when I was a kid in the weekly TV schedule published in the Sunday newspapers they'd have a space with the radio stations of the day listed by call letter and frequency. This was like long ago in the 1960s I believe. I guess I could look for this in microfilm. Of course to do research like this takes time and $$$.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

VERY thankfully, I did realize that I had a possible source (for better information about KPOA) when I returned home. I have old monthly publications from a defunct Radio Club which, among other eras, happen to cover early 1959. It took me a while, but I looked in there to see if anybody mentioned hearing KPOA - **on 650** - before the June 1959 date of the survey. Sure enough, I found somebody who said they heard KPOA **on 650/AM** in February 1959, four months before the date of the survey.

Therefore, added to the two surveys I had from previously:

KPOA/**630**, 1958 TERRITORY OF HAWAII
                      KORL/650 from 1960...

KPOA/650 is neither of these, and therefore a "NEW STATION" FOR ME.

However, if an original clipping showing Top Tens from "a few stations" was to turn up in the ADVERTISER during hat era, chances are good that it would be worth at least $700 to $1,000 to me. Whether such ever existed in that newspaper has never been determined, but it is rather clear that such a thing never existed in the STAR-BULLETIN.

I am glad I resolved this, and with such a good result. Go me!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X