98Rock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98Rock question

Anyone know what happened to that station? It was available when i lived on Oahu back in 79-81 and it was what classic rock is now, lol.....Kiss, Reo, Benatar, etc.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: 98Rock question

Originally posted by memorylane
    Anyone know what happened to that station? It was available when i lived on Oahu back in 79-81 and it was what classic rock is now, lol.....Kiss, Reo, Benatar, etc.
    98 Rock (KPOI at 97.5 FM, "the rock you live on") is gone, but another station has acquired those classic call letters K-P-O-I, and is playing classic rock at 105.9. Here's an article about the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      98 Rock (KPOI at 97.5 FM, "the rock you live on") is gone, but another station has acquired those classic call letters K-P-O-I, and is playing classic rock at 105.9. Here's an article about the changes.

Anyone remember when:

-- "98 Rock" used to have the call letters "KDUK" (they promo'ed the station as "The Duke")?

-- The 98 Rock/KDUK TV commercial, with the Townshend-esque, guitar-playing cartoon robot?

-- The "98 Rock Card", that you could get at all local Kramer's stores? I had almost every iteration of that card, but never found a place that "honored" it for discounts, or whatnot.

-- The classic 98 Rock Bumper Sticker, that many people would creatively take a black Sharpie to in order to get it to say "Go F**k"? (anyone know who designed that sticker? It's one of the most enduring designs in my memories--I used to draw a perfect copy of that logo on all my bookcovers in grade school)

As much as I hate "classic rock" and commercial radio today, I have to say I miss those 98 Rock days. At least they were cool enough to play The Clash, as long as the usual boring Lynryd Skynryd, etc etc
      Last edited by melorama; October 15, 2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I dont know if those are the same as the one I am speaking of or not, sorry.......my brother tuned them in but i hadnt quite made it to *rock* yet, lol
        If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
          Anyone remember when:
          -- The classic 98 Rock Bumper Sticker, that many people would creatively take a black Sharpie to in order to get it to say "Go F**k"? (anyone know who designed that sticker? It's one of the most enduring designs in my memories--

Lee Coleman takes credit for designing that logo. He was Sales Manager at the time and later became GM of I-94. Now at VHI or MTV

Comment

Oh, yeah, I remember 98 Rock! They played great music. In the 80's their morning show (Mike Evans, as the "Reverand Hose, and the Imoral Minority" if I rememer correctly) would hold live broadcast shows once in a while at the Coconut Grove....where much alcohol was consumed, at 7:00 a.m.! By the way, speaking of 98 Rock, visit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...151278084&rd=1 to see a vintage "98 Rock" T-shirt that is being sold on Ebay through December 7th!

Aloha!
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
              Anyone remember when:

-- The "98 Rock Card", that you could get at all local Kramer's stores? I had almost every iteration of that card, but never found a place that "honored" it for discounts, or whatnot.
              I used the card once for a discount at DJ's Sound City in Pearl Ridge to buy my copy of the first Van Halen album on cassette. Memorable day since I remember buying the tape, going home, and hearing "Eruption" for the first time........hard to forget a day like that

My favorite 98 rock commercial on TV was the one of the girl who started pulling her 98 Rock shirt off, only to have the commercial cut to another shot just as you could see the bottom of her breasts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                Oh, yeah, I remember 98 Rock! They played great music. In the 80's their morning show (Mike Evans, as the "Reverand Hose, and the Imoral Minority" if I rememer correctly) would hold live broadcast shows once in a while at the Coconut Grove....where much alcohol was consumed, at 7:00 a.m.! By the way, speaking of 98 Rock, visit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...151278084&rd=1 to see a vintage "98 Rock" T-shirt that is being sold on Ebay through December 7th!

Aloha!
                Greg
                I`m suprised that it ended that cheap ($1.95)....sh*t!!! I would`ve bought it for more...just to hang that bugga on my wall!!
                Oh, speaking of radio memories....does anyone remember K-P-I-G? (I forget already...but, i tink it was played in Hawaii back in da day!) And what was the radio station that was in Waipahu along Kamehameha Hwy? Is it gone now? I remember getting pulled over by a HPD (cop) for speeding, long, long,
                long time ago!
                ~braddah Ronny

Comment

does anyone remember K-P-I-G? (I forget already...but, i tink it was played in Hawaii back in da day!) And what was the radio station that was in Waipahu along Kamehameha Hwy? Is it gone now?
                  KPIG FM at 93.9 precluded the present KIKI FM by several years in the late 1970s. It first signed on with a disco dance format. In the 1980s the call sign switched to KMAI FM and for a while it was an album rock/classic rock station before I think, going to oldies and then settling with a top 40 format which evolved over time into the hip hop/urban stuff we have today. The station underwent many ownership changes along with its AM sister at 830 khz. For a while in the late 1980s both AM 830 and 93.9 FM went by the common call letters KIKI before 830 became KHVH under one of its ownership changes and switched to news and talk. KIKI FM soldiers on as Hot 93.9 today with its urban format under Clear Channel ownership (along with KHVH 830 AM and several other stations).
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And I have to add that KPIG was a LEGENDARY San Francisco rock station. (Looks like they've changed format to country now.)

Blaine
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Aloha from Los Angeles, everyone.

I happened to discover this forum through a Google search on 98 Rock.

Back in the early 80's I vacationed in Hawaii and bought the 98 Rock T-shirt as a souvenier. I wore it for years and years but naturally it eventually wore out. I did save the logo though, hoping to some day have another one silk screened.

Thought you all might enjoy seeing that again. Here ya go...

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                        And I have to add that KPIG was a LEGENDARY San Francisco rock station. (Looks like they've changed format to country now.)

Blaine
                        Funny you should mention KPIG, Blaine.

I was up in Monterey, Ca. a few years ago to see the American LeMans Series (ALMS) race at the world famous Laguna Seca raceway and KPIG was one of the booths at one of the pre-race parties. Country and Bluegrass! Hmm doggies! Let's go, ma! lol

Anyway, do you remember KOME from that area, too? I liked their voice-over as they broke for commercials; "Don't touch that dial... it's got 'kom' on it!"

Comment

Yeah I had a couple of those shirts. It was when checkers were the rage... it went well with the Quicksilver board shorts that had the checkers on the side haha. The 98Rock sticker that I put on my guitar case back in 1980 is still representing.

Remember Rabbett (Robert Abbot)? He's selling windows for CCI, he came over to do an estimate and we chatted about the good ole days. I think he has this Hawaiian music online radio station thing going on too.

Comment

i remember going into the station on bishop street to get some of those stickers and joan jett walked in...i was onlyh about 10 and completely astounded...she looked like holy hell and scrared the bejesus out of me, like a leather-clad gargoyle...i got the stickers, though...
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Rocker
                              Funny you should mention KPIG, Blaine.

Anyway, do you remember KOME from that area, too? I liked their voice-over as they broke for commercials; "Don't touch that dial... it's got 'kom' on it!"
                              I remember KOME. 98.5 the kome spot on the dial. Great station.

Comment

Working...
                              X