Re: 98Rock question

If I remember right...KDUK started out as a disco station
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway View Post
          Lee Coleman takes credit for designing that logo. He was Sales Manager at the time and later became GM of I-94. Now at VHI or MTV
          Actually if I have my facts correct and I believe I do it was my dad, Brian Bieler takes credit for the logo design and success of 98 Rock. We moved to Hawaii in 1979 to run the station as the GM. He was the driving force behind making the station what it was, #1! He recently wrote a book "Powerful Steps" about about how to be successful and references 98 Rock a few times. It's a great read full of real life experience that explains how to make things happen.

http://powerfulsteps.com/Excerpts.php
          http://www.powerfulsteps.com

Last edited by DDB; October 29, 2006, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Rocker View Post
            I liked their voice-over as they broke for commercials; "Don't touch that dial... it's got 'kom' on it!"
            Reminds me of one of KTUH's promos when I was there - "Tell all your friends that KTUH gives great head ... phone."

And we wondered why we were having problems upgrading from 10 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              If I remember right...KDUK started out as a disco station
              That's what I remember too. I think they kept the callsign but buried "The Duke" with the format change.

Comment

Prior to the time it was a disco station, 97.5 FM was KHSS FM, which played "beautiful music". Before that it was KPOI-FM from about 1968 to 1974. Back then the format was "progressive rock". In those days KPOI was the call letters to both AM & FM. AM was a top 40 at 1380. When it changed over to KHSS I think the AM simulcasted easy listening music with KHSS FM before it became oldies and then moved to 1040 AM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm dying for the giant robot to show up on YouTube one of these days.
                  "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Rabett & Abbot, B. Rock, those were the last day of AOR (Album Oriented Radio). The station was the successor of the original KPOI, Ron Jacobs, Tom Moffatt, Dave Donnely of the sixty's. The former number 1 rock staion in the entire USA. Long live Rock! It's better to burn out, than fade away!

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
                      I'm dying for the giant robot to show up on YouTube one of these days.

i remember that commerical, that thing was like a giant robot guitar god. my eyes popped as a kid when i first saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Rocker View Post
                        Surely you remember KMET 94.7.

Whoo-ya

"A little bit of heaven 94.7. KMET Tweedle-dee"

Comment

Here are a couple of CD covers from the late 1980s.

http://hometown.aol.com/keikokk/98rock.html
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Here are a couple of CD covers from the late 1980s.

http://hometown.aol.com/keikokk/98rock.html
                            Hey, I've got that CD! The first one anyway. Never saw the second one for sale.

<Sigh> One day I've GOT to get around to digitizing my Shazz album. I keep hoping it will show up somewhere I can buy or download.

Comment

Working...
                            X