unusual promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unusual promotion

Does anyone remember the Worlds Greatest T-Shirt Auction? (circa 1978) I don't know how Bernie Armstrong (KGU) came up with that one, but the idea was for businesses to send in their logo shirts, and for collectors to send in event shirts, etc. that would be auctioned off at a fund raiser. The auction site the first year was the Kahala Mall and Center Stage at Ala Moana the next year. T-shirts were hot stuff then ( as I guess they still are). The KGU offices were in the Advertiser Building at the time and they quickly became packed to the ceiling with boxes of donated shirts. They came in from all over, some wth famous autographs. Thousand were auctioned off over the air and at the event itself. A great promotion, fun for the air staff, and raised a lot of money. I heard Bernie was of failing health and had moved to the mainland. Anyone know for sure on his status?

Re: unusual promotion

I moved to Hawaii in '78 and listened to KGU from my very first day. I remember you, Bernie Armstrong and Heidi Chang. I don't remember the t-shirt promotion, however. I should. It's now part of my long term memory!

Comment

I believe Bernie passed on around Christmas time, very recently.

Aj

Comment

January 8 to be exact

http://starbulletin.com/2008/01/08/news/story15.html

Comment

We're both wrong, but close, Bernie died on December 21, 2007 the obit did not come out until January 8th.

Aj

Comment

Good old Bernie. He was my boss at KHNR when it was an all news CNN station.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Bernie was my boss when I got out of college in Pittsburgh. He was program director of WTAE AM-FM. His wife was from Hawaii and talked him into leaving Pittsburgh in the early 70s. Before he left, he told me he would hire me again if I ever moved to HAwaii. I did that in 1975 and was working at KGU within a week of arriving. Bye Bernie. Thanks for everything.

Comment

Should really come in here for my radio/TV fix more often. Got all mushy reading about the Captain and Tennille's "Muskrat Love" on one thread and now am saddened to hear about our great friend Bernie. What a sweet and gentle man. Bernie was one of the last talents from that great generation of communicators that would cup his hand to his ear and make the microphone smile. Maybe you might hear Adam say, "Dad, why do you talk like that?" Aloha Bernie and thank you for being. You were loved and respected by many.
                U Can't Go Back, But U Can Do It Again
                It's ShowTime
                tRRo'

Comment

Working...
                X