Hawaii Public Radio seeks archived audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Public Radio seeks archived audio

Hawaii Public Radio is planning a series about statehood, and the upcoming 50th anniversary. If you have any archived audio that you'd like to share (speeches, interviews, music, Hawaiians protesting, off-the-cuff remarks by radio hosts, conversations, etc.) we'd love to hear it. Of course, if HPR uses the material, you would receive credit for your contribution.

In addition to archived audio, we are seeking interviews with people who have stories to tell about how life changed after statehood.

If you are able to provide any of the above, please contact by February 15, 2009:

Kayla Rosenfeld, News Director
    news@hawaiipublicradio.org
    (808) 792-8250

Re: Hawaii Public Radio seeks archived audio

In the 1950's and early 1960's I don't think too many people recorded audio content for use later. The hardware wasn't exactly portable or convenient for a regular joe or jane on the street to record anything. Perhaps the only things that exist from the pre-and post-Statehood eras of the 1950s and early 60s are broadcasts from commercial TV and radio stations that were on the air then.

And then there is the a matter or whether or not anyone actually kept this stuff. Maybe our resident broadcast archivist has some old audio samples to share. I have no idea.

What I think may exist is probably in the hands of people in the industry who were around in those days... Tom Moffatt, Ron Jacobs, etc.

Will be interesting to hear if anything surfaces and is broadcast. We need more audio and video clips that personify the celebration of Hawaii's Statehood.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
    X