Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on singer in the 1930s

Hi everyone!
    My name is Jill and I was born in Maui, then moved to Los Angeles. I'm Japanese-American and befriended a Pearl Harbor survivor here! We became good friends and he is turning 85 this year. He asked me about a singer known as something like "maui nightingale" or "hawaiian nightingale"?? He dosen't remember her name but thinks he used to listen to her singing on a radio station broadcasting from Kauai, KIVM? He was stationed at Pearl Harbor from around 1939-1945. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Looking for info on singer in the 1930s

Lena Machado, originally known as the 'Hawaiian Nightingale' (see below).

6. LENA MACHADO KU'U WA LI'ILI'I 2.45

FROM THE ALBUM "HAWAII'S SONGBIRD" CORD INTERNATIONAL, HSR-515

Known as 'Hawaii's Songbird', Lena Machado is considered to be one of Hawaii's greatest ever singers, renowned for her beautiful, falsetto style voice. She was born near Honolulu in 1903, her musician parents decided to hanai (the Hawaiian custom for parents to give their children to foster parents who can provide a stable and secure upbringing) her at birth . She never took singing lessons and was discouraged from singing by her hanai parents. She was reportedly 'discovered' by Marion A. Mulroney, head of Hawaii's first radio station, whilst gathering mangos from a tree, and was for this reason originally known as the 'Hawaiian Nightingale'. He invited her to sing live on air, and was given a contract by the radio station. She became the featured vocalist with the Hawaiian Royal Band in 1925, with whom she would sing with for 30 years. She toured in Hawaii and on the American mainland with her own group, and made her first recordings in 1927 for the Brunswick label, and in 1935 in Hollywood with musicians including Sol Hoopi (see track..). Back in Hawaii after the war she performed as a resident artist at a club with a group which featured Gabby Pahinui on steel guitar. She continued to record and tour the mainland and in 1962 made her first stereo, but last ever, recording, on a classic album, from which this track is taken. She was seriously injured in a car accident in 1964. She didn't return to performing again until 1970, but after a heart attack in 1973, died in January 1974, aged 70.
    http://www.farsidemusic.com/RG_hawaii.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mveNICKH5c
    Last edited by GregLee; April 29, 2013, 01:35 PM.
    Greg

Comment

Re: Looking for info on singer in the 1930s

Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
      X