Maui radio 86-90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maui radio 86-90

Mahalo, Kuai Jock and Captain Scarlet, and all, for the updates on the old Obie jocks. Captain Scarlet you should have stopped by the station again, by the way, would love to see the pictures you took. My hours were great, 4 and the door, they probably didn't tell you that. Most days I was out of the station before the last stop set finished, and on the boat by 9:30am. Boulder City was a burb of Vegas, and the signal was so weak that it barely made it into the valley, but I had the morning show in the top 10 in 3 months, not bad considering it was a bomb site when they hired me.
    DizzyTaylor, I E-mailed you right after your post, but no response. I'm curious as to who you are, did we work together?
    Anyway, happy to hear that the old gang is doing well. Say Aloha from me next time you run into one of the, eh? Working on Maui was a great times in my life, I shouldn't have gone to the mainland. I didn't have too, I had offers to stay, but Ego got in the way of sound thinking. One of those things where if I could turn back time, I would, and this time stay on Maui. I would come back in a heartbeat if I had the chance.
    By the way, anyone know what ever happened to Nick Terrezzi? He programmed Z-98 while I was there.

Comment

I'm sorry to let you know that Nick Terrezzi who programmed Z-98 while you were there passed away shortly after you left the station.

Comment

I cannot tell you how honored I felt when I saw my name on your list of KMVI alums. I also can't believe it has been 22 years since I had the opportunity to be a part of KMVI. OBIE Broadcasting is one name I had forgotten about. CAPTAIN SCARLET---Thank you!

I first went to KMVI in April of 1985. Gregg Howard was PD. BJ Armstrong was News Director. Ron Vaught was Sales Manager. Betty Kutsunai (a terrific lady) was the money person. May Kujo (she passed away shortly after I left) did traffic. Marci Hamae was an AE and so was Jody (can't remember her last name). I wanna say that Russ something or another was GM, but I can't remember for sure.

As for on-air...the line up during weekdays was Gregg doing AM Drive, Cliff Arquette, LD Reynolds, ME ("Biggest Li'l Radio Show" and then I did news), Buddy Fo "The Maui Bud" ("putting a little Aloha in your poi bowl"), Alice Lee, and Nick Jackson (great guy). Weekends there was Jesse Nakaoka and Ho'ipe. Mrs. Koike was a gem. Leo always started his 4 or 430am weekday show with crowing roosters. Good times.

At that time it was KMVI "Close to you"...Or KMVI Pili Ia O'e.

Do you remember the KMVI Loot Scoot? "Just look in our review mirror...Is that the KMVI Loot Scoot (SFX: Beep Beep)..." It was a bright lime green Nissan Sentra. The bumper stickers were round and black with yellow lettering.

My time at KMVI was one of the greatest memories I have when looking back at my radio career.

The summer of '85 was also the introduction of the New Coke. We did numerous taste tests around Maui. I believe it was Star Ice and Soda that was the Coca Cola distributor at that time. The other was Maui Soda and Ice.

Sidenote: Remember Minute Man gas/convenience store?

A few advertisers I clearly remember included Eddie K in Maui Mall, Tokyo Tei on Lower Main, Gibert's Formals, Hokama's Color TV, Naoki's (Home of the 1 Pound Steak!), Ooka's Supermarket, Maui Beach Hotel and Charley's Corner (Charlie Aruda---Is he still around?), Hamae Electronics, Peggy and Johnny's, Ah Fook's...Can't remember them all.

I had some of the greatest landlords...Upstairs from Kaohu Store...Mr/Mrs. Tengan.

I'm sure I can think of other memories later on.

Thank you again Capt. Scarlet for allowing me to remember KMVI and Maui.

Originally posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
        Rik...I caught your show in the early nineties on a station in Boulder City. I even stopped by the station and just missed out on seeing you. I've got some photos to prove it.

1986 to 1990 were good times at KMVI AM and FM. I was there long before and after but there were so many people flowing in and out of the door but I'll see what I can come up with as an update.

GREG HOWARD was no longer PD in 1988. The last that I had seen him was when he was driving a taxi and pulled over on the side of the highway to watch the motorcade of then 44th Vice President of the United States Dan Quayle while making a Maui stopover. Last I heard is that he moved to the mainland.

NICK JACKSON can still be heard on the air at KDLX under his country format name which escapes me at the moment. He also has been hosting late Saturday afternoons and evenings on KEAO FM for nearly the last five years.

JEFF YAMANISHI is still in the world of video rentals, Borders retailer and doing airshifts on a semi-monthly basis at KEAO FM.

MAUREEN BOROMEO left Maui for Oahu and did news at KSSK for a number of years. She still resides on Oahu.

L.D. REYNOLDS is still entertaining radio audiences on both terrestial radio and online. He's been working with KAOI, Q103 and now is involved with the new FM on Molokai. His online radio broadcast of Hawaiian music has been embraced by internet radio listens for several years.

MICHAEL McCARTNEY can be heard online and TiVo (via Live365) playing music and interviewing artists. He is still on the FM dial on Maui doing afternoons on KONI FM and evenings on KPMW FM while also holding a shift on KEAO FM. No radio group here. All stand alone stations sharing the same announcer. KONI is owned by H.Hawaii Media which means that McCartney is also heard on KTOH FM on Kauai. He also does film work.

KEALI'I REICHEL went on to become one of the biggest selling artists in Hawaiian music and has won the Hoku a number of times. The Hoku being the local equivilant of a Grammy award.

PAUL DOUGLAS is currently the Production Manager for the Pacific Radio Group. He was on KPMW FM doing mid-days with Rhoda On The Radio while still at the Maui News. He moved on to KPOA FM to do weekends and still fills in when needed but his superb talent as the "go to guy" for radio production keeps his plate full.

DAN THOMPSON ended up moving from KMVI AM to traffic for Obie and then doing afternoons on KMVI FM before moving to the west coast over ten years ago.

DAMION is now back at Westwood One doing an airshift heard on stations all over the country. Before KMVI FM became a live Rock format, we used to carry Westwood One's Adult Rock and Roll that Damion was on. We used to joke that if were already paying Westwood One for their air talent, we didn't need to pay Damion when he moved to Maui to do mornings on KMVI FM.

EVE FULLER did news and have no idea where she ended up.

MARIAH PARADISE aka KELLY LONDON also did news and the last thing that I remember her doing was dinner theater here on Maui. That was over a decade ago.

CLIFF ARQUETTE left radio and was doing production work. Don't know what he's been up to. I haven't seen him for almost two decades. Members of his family continue their acting careers in Hollywood.

LEO AGCOLICOL is still doing early morning Filipino programming on KNUI.

FUSAYO KOIKE hosted the "Yamato Program" for nearly fifty years passed away at age 93 in 2003. No matter how companies owned KMVI or how many DJs were on the air, Mrs. Koike was the heart and soul of KMVI.

A.B. SAVILLA passed away in the early nineties. He was also one of the earliest announcers on KMVI AM after the station signed on in 1946.

MATT BURGER is currently heard on KEAO FM and KPMW FM but is based in Hollywood where he is busy working his film and television career.

AUDREY ROCHA is no longer in radio and is retiring from her position at the Cameron Center.

SCOTT SHERLEY is still on the air at KEAO FM. After changing KMVI's long standing TOP 40/HOT AC/Hawaiian hybrid format on the AM dial to MOR/Adult Standards the station was sold. Scott continued his popular "Sentimental Journey" program on KPMWFM in the late nineties and later to KEAO FM. Scott can be heard every Sunday but with a new program title "Stardust Memories".

KAREN MAWAE SPENCE still enjoys the world of sports and can still be found playing country music on KDLX FM on Maui where she has been before the turn of the century.

JOHN NEFF has moved back to the mainland and currently works on scores for film and television.

ALICE LEE left radio for politics on Maui.

MIKE APPLEBY currently lives in Florida but still comes back to Maui on a regular basis.

JEFF KINO still can be found right here on Hawaii Threads Radio Section. I never got to meet Jeff. He was always around when I was at lunch or out of town. Still can't figure out how I missed meeting him considering that he was around for awhile.

DELPHINE GREEN is no longer in radio. The broadcasting world could never afford her as she continues her profession as a pharmacist. She did nights on KMVI AM and FM. Her last radio gig was doing evenings on KMVI FM and PSA Director. She was the last DJ to play classic rock before the station flipped format to become Da Jam 98.3

BUDDY FO - unsure of his whereabouts. The last time that I worked with Buddy was at KLHI FM in the nineties.

There are more staff members to update. Anyone else care to update?
        Today is Tomorrow Yesterday

Comment

Working...
        X