An den? What happen wit...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An den? What happen wit...?

Aloha to all you folks. I have a couple of questions to run by anyone what gettin grey hairs already:

1. RE Coconut wireless- what radio station used to have the wahine come on at various intervals for a time announcement: "the time is now 8:31 o'clock" finishing with a hawaiian phrase. Is this time honored island tradition now gone by the wayside?

2. in the late 60s early 70s there was a fairly popular song "Oceans Away" Written by Kui Lee and Alex Kaeck. Who sang it? What album or single?

Mahalo,

Eddie Boy

ps someone send me a Good News bar pleeease.
    Last edited by Eddie Boy; May 23, 2004, 10:36 PM. Reason: seplling

Re: An den? What happen wit...?

Wassap Eddie! Not too sure about the Coconut wireless radio station, but i didnt happen to find you a Good News Bar!

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

As I recall "The Coconut Wireless" network was on the radio at least in the late 1960s and early 1970s... This was on KGMB radio 590 AM (later KSSK 590 AM) during the time Cec Heftel owned the stations and Aku ruled the morning drive airwaves. The Coconut Wireless was the news network that Heftel set up with KGMB and KPUA 970 in Hilo, which basically carried Aku's news and commentary in both Honolulu and Hilo.... It was also carried on Maui's KMVI radio for a while too. There was a unique theme song that went along with each news broadcast and would play in its entirety on Aku's morning show; it was also used through most of KGMB's news broadcasts through the day.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by slickvic
        Wassap Eddie! Not too sure about the Coconut wireless radio station, but i did happen to find you a Good News Bar!
        oops sorry had to edit

Comment

Just FYI, you can just go ahead and edit your original post, rather than posting another message to explain what you'd change. When you edit your original post, you're given an opportunity to note why it was edited (see Eddie Boy's first message as an example).

Comment

i sent you a PM regarding editing posts.

-vic

Comment

Thanks. Yes, turns out there was a five-minute time limit in place! I've expanded that to four hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Boy
                Aloha to all you folks. I have a couple of questions to run by anyone what gettin grey hairs already:

1. RE Coconut wireless- what radio station used to have the wahine come on at various intervals for a time announcement: "the time is now 8:31 o'clock" finishing with a hawaiian phrase. Is this time honored island tradition now gone by the wayside?

2. in the late 60s early 70s there was a fairly popular song "Oceans Away" Written by Kui Lee and Alex Kaeck. Who sang it? What album or single?

Mahalo,

Eddie Boy

ps someone send me a Good News bar pleeease.
                Perry and Price have "Coconut Wireless News Updates"

You think it may be related?

Comment

Eddie Boy,
                  I think the station you might be talking about was KCCN 1420 am. Every top and bottom of the hour a station I D was given with the time, and then the time translated into hawaiian with the tag line being...THIS LAND OF ALOHA!! I'm hoping that kinda answers your question.

Hanapaa

ps: sorry can't help you with that Kui Lee song.
                  Last edited by Hanapaa; May 26, 2004, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Mahalo Hanapaa,

I will keep looking.

Warmest Alohas,

Eddie Boy

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Boy

I have a few old cassettes of Hawaiian stations' airplay from the early 80's; one of these has that station ID clip; beautiful guitar work, station id, time then a hawaiian phrase. will see if i can dig it up and remember the station. One had Skylark on it as a DJ.

This is an old tradition that will never be a part of local radio cuz most all stations as far as I hear have been swallowed up by big mainland corporations that command their programming to be fast, loud, and basically obnoxious. The old laid back style is a fast disappearing aspect of "old Hawaii". in all aspcets of life here.

Comment

I think nowdays you probably have to go to Hilo and listen to KHBC 1060, maybe Kauai to listen to KUAI 720 to hear some of that laid back style of old Hawaii radio.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          I think nowdays you probably have to go to Hilo and listen to KHBC 1060, maybe Kauai to listen to KUAI 720 to hear some of that laid back style of old Hawaii radio.

tune into knui almost daily from maui. ol kine, dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanapaa
                            Eddie Boy,
                            I think the station you might be talking about was KCCN 1420 am. Every top and bottom of the hour a station I D was given with the time, and then the time translated into hawaiian with the tag line being...THIS LAND OF ALOHA!! I'm hoping that kinda answers your question.

Hanapaa

ps: sorry can't help you with that Kui Lee song.

That's right! It was KCCN AM 1420. Wasn't the voice that did those hourly marks the voice of Skylark?

Anyway the Coconut wireless..."where sometimes we tell the news before it happens!" Yeah remember that slogan?
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X