Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-LEI revisited

Aloha all:

I wound up here because I Googled K-Lei to see what would pop up. There was a thread on the old website from 2004, but it was read-only. Now that I'm here, anyone want to compare notes on K-Lei?

I was there from 1961 to 1963.

Larry Miller

Re: K-LEI revisited

Hi Larry,

I got your e-mail, so I came here to see if you figured out how to post. I see you made it work!

I enjoyed playing Big Band music on K-Lei. I had never seen so many records in one place in my life! I would go in about an hour early each Sunday, just to choose the songs I would play that night. I only worked there from 6 to midnight on Sundays. I also got many calls from older people who wanted to talk about the good old days when the songs were new, and they were young. It was an experience I will never forget. I moved away from Hawaii in 1984, and never worked in radio again. I had worked in radio in Hawaii for 14 years. I worked at KORL, K-108, K-LEI, and KHLO in Hilo.

Comment

Originally posted by Komo
      Hi Larry,

I got your e-mail, so I came here to see if you figured out how to post. I see you made it work!

I enjoyed playing Big Band music on K-Lei. I had never seen so many records in one place in my life! I would go in about an hour early each Sunday, just to choose the songs I would play that night. I only worked there from 6 to midnight on Sundays. I also got many calls from older people who wanted to talk about the good old days when the songs were new, and they were young. It was an experience I will never forget. I moved away from Hawaii in 1984, and never worked in radio again. I had worked in radio in Hawaii for 14 years. I worked at KORL, K-108, K-LEI, and KHLO in Hilo.

What year were you at K-LEI? Did the Irvines still own it then? Just curious.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Miller
        What year were you at K-LEI? Did the Irvines still own it then? Just curious.

Larry
        I believe I was there during 1982 to 1984. I moved to Texas in April of 1984.

Comment

Okay, let's remember KLEI from the days I was there. Though it doesn't seem very long compared to the years you folks are talking about, it has been over a couple of decades (though I'm still only 29!).

Some folks who walked through KLEI on their way included Tiny Nitro Tadani, Duke Duvachelle "Da A'ama Crab", BJ, Rick Davis (owns a Swiss watch biz in Hawaii Kai...I think), Rob "The Boss" Haas, Lucille Cordeirro (Sec. who became GM...Go figure), June Frabatta (SP?)---She did traffic call ins while listening to her scanner all day...I think she was a stringer for KGMB/KSSK for awhile too, Cliff Richards, The Crack Engineer Alan (damn, drawing a blank on his last name), Engineers Ernie, Ralph, and Jerry...Can't remember them all.

I was there when it was located on Kainehe Street in Kailua. The owners were from Santa Barbara---Carl and ?? Schue??? I can't remember them.

We had the most prehistoric automated system we used for a live assist Beautiful Music/AC format. It was practically held together with bubble gum and scotch tape. The cart carasoul was propped up in the back with a piece of wood and phone books.

Thinking back, KLEI was a bit of a joke, but hey, it was still a foot in the door.
          Today is Tomorrow Yesterday

Comment

God I remember that hole in the wall. There was actually a nickle on top of the tone arm. At the time I visited that station they were playing Metaphysical music...back in the mid 80's
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[The Crack Engineer Alan]

The late Alan Roycroft, perhaps?
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

And "Jerry" would that be the same as the one at Clear Channel?

Comment

The thing I remember about K-LEI is that it was the most powerful station on the Windward side - probably because it was the only station on the Windward side. As a kid I built a crystal radio set and K-LEI and KGMB-AM (as it was known then) were about the only things it could pick up. I also remember tuning into K-LEI during power failures because it seemed like they were more likely to tell us what was going on.

Comment

Is this the K-LEI that was at 1130 AM, with studios on the second floor of a small strip mall in Kailua? As "Charlie O'Henry," I did Saturday and Sunday mornings there during 1977, before moving to stations in Honolulu. It was, at the time, owned by a partnership that included then Program Director "Jockey Joe" Kelly, who if memory serves had been a longtime fixture at WLW, Cincinnati. Principal memory/confession: locking the door and running to the relatively nearby McDonalds to pick up breakfast after starting sessions of recorded religious programming.

Comment

It was across the street from KFC and upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        It was across the street from KFC and upstairs.
                        KFC? I don't remember a KFC anywhere close to it. Maybe one there now.

As I remember it, it used to be between a Cornet store and a bigger strip mall. Across the street from a Texaco station. First floor of the building had Floyd's Music.

Comment

There's a KFC across the street on Kainehe street where K-LEI was.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            There's a KFC across the street on Kainehe street where K-LEI was.
                            I don't remember them being there. I remember them being on Kailua Road. Not too far from where Macys (then Liberty House) is today.

Comment

Working...
                            X