Dodgers games on Hawai'i radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers games on Hawai'i radio

Nowadays we only seem to get the Giants (in my case, that's always prefaced by these words: the hated) on the radio, but there was a time when we nearly always got a weekend game or two as part of the Dodgers radio network. That may have stopped when Columbia Inn changed ownership; I don't remember. Anyway, those who remember those games might enjoy this discussion of Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully and what he brings (still, after 55 years) to baseball broadcasts. Be sure to read the comments.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Dodgers games on Hawai'i radio

Thanks for the link. I've been a lifetime Dodger fan.

I miss hearing Vin on the radio. While it's still enjoyable to hear Vin on TV, it just doesn't capture the moment as it does on Radio. I can still recall him calliing Fernando's no hitter in 91. "May 21, 1991, Fernando pitches a no-hitter. If you have a sombreo, throw it into the sky."

KGU had the Dodgers up until a few years ago before Salem bought the station. The reason KKEA has the Giants is because of the station general manager Don Robbs. He is a self-proclaimed Giant fan.

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Nowadays we only seem to get the Giants (in my case, that's always prefaced by these words: the hated) on the radio, but there was a time when we nearly always got a weekend game or two as part of the Dodgers radio network. That may have stopped when Columbia Inn changed ownership; I don't remember. Anyway, those who remember those games might enjoy this discussion of Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully and what he brings (still, after 55 years) to baseball broadcasts. Be sure to read the comments.

Comment

hebeasor, I'll tell you a secret. I remember hearing Vinnie and Jerry Doggett doing games on KFI in LA. I'm so old I remember hearing them being pleasantly surprised that Sandy Koufax, after six years of marginal success, finally figured out how to pitch in 1962.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

actually, if I'm not mistaken, the owner of KKEA (Duane Kurisu) is also a part-owner of the SFGiants. That may better explain the relationship between the station and the team.

The Dodgers continued on KGU even after Salem bought the station. We even had SFG on KHNR for a time.

Comment

Michael, what happened to KKEA and Barry Villamil? I heard he's no longer the GM there?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

dunno about BV.

I'm pretty sure Don Robbs is GM. Chris Hart is PD.

Comment

Well I hope their "All-sports" format works for them because as both you and I and the rest of the radio crowd know, it didn't work very well for KGU The Ball back then.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Well I hope their "All-sports" format works for them because as both you and I and the rest of the radio crowd know, it didn't work very well for KGU The Ball back then.
                I think KKEA provides a good mix of local and national sports. What with local morning and afternoon shows, ESPN radio midday, overnight and weekends, as well as live UH and national sports.

The one thing they should change is to start broadcasting Dodger games instead of the Gnats. (lifelong Dodger fan).

I got irritated with KGU. Turning on the radio and expecting to listen to the Dodgers and instead getting that pseudo talk show (infomercial) pushing HGH. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                X