Worst Radio spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Radio spots

Coming home from the UH game last night, I might have heard the dumbest ad spot ever made. It was a spot for Mufi. Barbara Wallace is talking about Duke not wanting to debate Mufi and basically bashing Duke throughout the spot because of that. Then at the end of the spot she says to the effect of: "I don't want to hear the PR spin from either side, let's just debate".

PR spin! What was I just listening to the last :20 seconds. Do they think we are retarded! I voted for Lillian Hong and will not vote for either of the Mayoral candidates. But if I hear one more stupid ad like that, I just might vote for the other candidate just to spite them.

I just had to vent. Great game Warriors!

Aloha,
    DXer

Re: Worst Radio spots

Tops on my list are "Madman Dan" car lot ads, one because they're mind-numbingly annoying, two because they're aping an "on-the-spot news" segment, and three because they front-load the disclaimers. The ad starts with all the mile-a-minute, mumbled fine print, then moves into the obnoxious yelling.

Next I'd list Honolulu Futon Company. They're just past the point of "colorful and unique" into "obnoxious" territory. I have no doubt they're a great company with good prices, but I'd almost rather hear Sleepland USA's Tanya DeJesus than the overly-accented futon guy.

Advertorials are a close third. You know, when you hear Perry or Price casually bantering, and it turns out they're just plugging a tax service or tooth whitener. If television broadcasters have to disclose paid commercial announcements, why can radio get away without doing so?

Comment

"Hello, I'm Michael Tilliton here ..." (not sure about about the spelling). And just a preview of the ghastly time we NPR listeners have ahead of us beginning October 20th.

(Send them money, please, send them LOTS of money.)

Comment

Oh Albert you made my evening...it's really Michael Titterton...but you did a very good imitation of him and I really LOL! (HONEST)!!! And thanks for the warning...I'll remind my son to send a lot of money so they won't have Mr. Titterton on the air as often.
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

The Madman Dan car ads remind me of the old "Crazy Eddie Stereo" type of ads that used to run in mainland markets many, many years ago. Smooth and fast talking pitchman hard selling anything... that is kind of the essence of shock advertising...haha. I think these are funny, though I agree too, somewhat annoying.

If you are a regular listener of KHVH radio, the another annoying ad series is the Australian guy selling this bee pollen stuff. He like the JN ad guy is also a fast talker and annoying. He actively gets the 2 local radio hosts (Rick Hamada and Mike Buck) involved with his ads by calling in daily from down under.

As for NPR, their only source of revenue are donations. They have to have these ad filled campaigns to make sure their faitfhful listeners pay up for "Prairie Home Companion", "Morning Edition" and all the classical music you can shake a baton at. Luckily I rarely listen to NPR stations which mean I don't have to put up with the constant on-air pan handling.

Regardless about how we feel, the bottom line is that the ads, no matter what they are pay the bills for all radio, TV and media operations.
          Last edited by mel; October 11, 2004, 06:40 AM. Reason: added another sentence, fix typo
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Madman Dan.... that gets my vote.

Comment

"As for NPR, their only source of revenue are donations."

Well, not really, unless you see the corporate sponsors and their "commercials" as being "donations. And they do get some tax-supported funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

However, their new series on Leonard Bernstein, which made its debut Sunday evening on KHPR, is enough to forgive them everything, including their awful upcoming "Celebration 2004".

Comment

Well Albert...we'd better send in our donations since we don't want to hear the program break with the Titterton fellow! I looked in the NPR booklet that my son gets and his name is not mentioned so I guess he doesn't donate enough. Unlike other public entities that depend on public donations, NPR only lists the high end donors. My son has bid on trips to the outer islands with everything included and then he's gifted them to me...we've been to a few really nice places.
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, I LOVE all corporations which support NPR and I don't mind the discreet, mercifully brief "commercials" they get in exchange.

I'd give Land's End a whole five minutes, if they wanted it, for their support of that National Treasure, "Prairie Home Companion".

Of course, The Ketchup Advisory Board gets more time, but then I love them, too.

Comment

No come on the worst is...Hi I'm Tanya from Sleepland!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I mentioned Tanya DeJesus above, but... does she really do radio ads, too? The horror!

As a NPR listener and HPR supporter, I don't find their underwriting ads - nor their semiannual fund drives - very annoying at all. In fact, if anything, I really appreciate it when their advertising is straightforward. The only time they get on my nerves is when they try to be cute - like the "As The Record Turns" soap opera thing for their music sale. Just tell me what you're selling and where to get it, dammit!

Comment

Every time I hear Randy Hudnall's screeching voice on an ad it makes me cringe; I either kill the volume right away or switch stations. Nice guy; horrible voice. And enough already with the "unbeLEEEEEEvable" routine.

Another nice guy is Mahlon Moore, but he seems to be doing the VO for maybe 80% of the radio commercials on the air these days! (Lucky buggah!) Overexposure.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I hate those "1-800-STARTOVER" radio commercials. The song they play is so irritating and I want to change the station immediately!

Comment

but it's catchy and boy do you remember that number!
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              I mentioned Tanya DeJesus above, but... does she really do radio ads, too? The horror!

As a NPR listener and HPR supporter, I don't find their underwriting ads - nor their semiannual fund drives - very annoying at all. In fact, if anything, I really appreciate it when their advertising is straightforward. The only time they get on my nerves is when they try to be cute - like the "As The Record Turns" soap opera thing for their music sale. Just tell me what you're selling and where to get it, dammit!
                              I'm a Hawaii Public Radio member/supporter as well and like PZ said, the fund drives are SEMI-ANNUAL not "constant" as stated by another poster.

I'll be helping out my friend Ray Cruz on his KIPO-FM 89.3 show "Sabor Tropical" Sat. 10/23 from 5-8p. I'm also fortunate to have been invited to help the British-ly accented Michael Titterton on KHPR-FM 88.1 the morning of Tue. 10/26. I'm sure my buddy Howard Dicus from PBN will also be making appearances through the pledge drive ... please donate, not because of us, but so we don't have to talk so much and can "get you right back to music!"
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                              X